What makes Amnesia: The dark descent a good horror game?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• What makes Amnesia: The dark descent a good horror game?

First of all, this is how I suggest people to look into the game. If you disagree or going to rant about something, feel free to add comments.

Horror games.. Those are often known for screamers, horrifying music, tons of enemies, creepy corridors. Amnesia: The dark descent only tops a few of those, but is still the best horror-game I've played or could think of. As you know, Amnesia is known for the enemies, the gatherers, suitors and the terrifying water-lurker. What came up in my mind was, Amnesia: The dark descent was not made for the actual horror-experience, well, partial it was, but everything revolves around the actual story. Yes, the story, what would the game be without it. A crazy dude named Daniel is running around in a castle followed by a shadow. For what my knowledge, a lot of people ditch the story and keep going for the scares. This is what disturbs me. Compare frictionalgames and EA, who have the highest budget and who made the best game? Yeah, It's obvious. Frictionalgames really know how to make things to work, It's actually ridiculous funny how they made a game atleast 5 times better than Battlefield 3 with a crew of six, on a extremely low budget, this is not really what the discussion was made for. Now, I'll explain how I would like the game to be played. Immerse yourself into the world of Amnesia: The dark descent, you are the character. Follow the story, and Daniels flashbacks, keep your sanity clear, refresh your mind, forget about everything else than the game and its story, make sure you get the best experience, turn off the light, close the door, play alone, focus. And don't give up if you're stuck in a puzzle, read all the notes once again, there's always clues, always.

I really like to share my experience and thoughts, I'm hoping to make one of those each week.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Lucas ().

• I haven't played it but I do watch a lot. I might buy the game next time if I got moneyz. $15 is PHP750 here.-.- and my allowance for a week is only PHP450.00. lol.

Anyways, watching others play it, in my opinion, it's the best because the atmosphere is great, you cannot do anything but run, run and run and the story is very unique. If I got this game, probably not now. Or maybe I'll get the Amnesia 2 when it has a sale. And it's better than the first one, I might create a custom story if it's not complicated.

PS: Love your review.:)