Social Anxietyy

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• Social Anxietyy

Hi, I’ve wanted to write a post about social anxiety. If you don’t have it you will probably don’t understand what I’m talking about but aniways. I’ve always been the kind of shy corner person, fearful in front of other people…I don’t know why…but this is how I remember it and how it started….At first music and later videos, it was an escape. When I listent, played, or later made videos it made me happy. I could have fun in a way that I couldn’t in front of other ppl…I wouldn’t admit this to myself at the time...that’s how it was.

But even when you make videos alone, you’re not making them in a vacuum...its still is in some sense made in front of people, even metaphorically….and I think the same thing that haunted me in a real world, it haunts me online. There’s no difference between online and offline world, it’s easy to pretend there is, but there really isn’t. What makes online thing a different world when in fact it's not, this is something I don’t understand.

It really got me thinking today, when I watched Pewdiepie’s video about hate comments…..most of online comments are surreal nonsense. What I mean is that it has got nothing to do with anything…hello, everyone good day! spam and promotion, hate…all these things people wouldn’t have said in a real world…to real people and hence it doesn’t mean anything…it’s cry into nothingness, I don't mean it's bad, it's just has different kind of meaning, than the meaning real ppl would say to each other.

I’ve done busking this year…which was huge challenge for me. Busking is like playing live music in the streets and you really expose yourself in a way, jumping and screaming like crazy in a place where it might not even be tolerated. Some ppl appreciate it, some ppl don’t, large portions of ppl don’t give a shit. And this is where I’ve realised the difference between the real world and online world. In a video you can do all sorts of crazy shit and upload it and forget about it. But in real world it happens at once and you just see the response immediately. If large portions of people are just passing by and no one cares you see it immediately. If you’ve got social anxiety then this will trigger you to feel the anxiety to some extent. I’ve been talking about this with people who don’t have social anxiety and in their worldview, it doesn’t matter if ppl don’t care, they don’t feel any different.

Now back to youtube, I don’t really know what social anxiety means, it’s a fear or a bunch of definitions in ur head. It’s just how you approach the whole thing. Some people say you shouldn’t care what other people think and then they also say you should care about other people naturally because you are human and whatever activity you will ever do, other people will always be part of it. I think it’s challenging to find the secure middle ground in this, for me and probably for many other people on the internet.

If you have any opinions on this, feel free to share.
    • There are many types of I social anxiety. I have small too but only if I feel people don't like me, I then petrify. (sometimes I might talk too much irl because im used game commentating without pauses, but i try to control and balance :P ) Also depression. Music can do wonders because you can relate to songs in ways you never could by talking.

About the hate comments, internet is a place where people can hide themselves and release what they really feel, good or bad. These people in real life probably wouldn't say mean things in front of others, they would do it behind their backs to other friends. Because online they avoid the awkwardness and are protected that if they screw up, they just delete the account and make new. You can't restart in real life though.

And yeah you shouldn't care about others because noone is perfect, but in your mind you know the problems you have but you don't know their problems. We think people judge us but a lot of times they just think their own problems or anxieties, not even noticing ours.

The post was edited 7 times, last by SteliosGame ().

• SteliosGame wrote:

There are many types of I social anxiety. I have small too but only if I feel people don't like me, I then petrify. (sometimes I might talk too much irl because im used game commentating without pauses, but i try to control and balance :P ) Also depression. Music can do wonders because you can relate to songs in ways you never could by talking.

About the hate comments, internet is a place where people can hide themselves and release what they really feel, good or bad. These people in real life probably wouldn't say mean things in front of others, they would do it behind their backs to other friends. Because online they avoid the awkwardness and are protected that if they screw up, they just delete the account and make new. You can't restart in real life though.

And yeah you shouldn't care about others because noone is perfect, but in your mind you know the problems you have but you don't know their problems. We think people judge us but a lot of times they just think their own problems or anxieties, not even noticing ours.
      "but in your mind you know the problems you have but you don't know their problems. We think people judge us but a lot of times they just think their own problems or anxieties, not even noticing ours."....this is very true and inspiring :)
    • Hello. I'll speak with you a moment. I understand the feeling on anxiousness in public. When out and about I can come off as very confident but I know the feeling of being nervous and unsure of yourself. Most of us get it, even if we pretend we don't.

One thing you are right about is the mean things people say online. Those hateful words are nothing, they are nothingness. Like when you referred to Felix receiving hate comments from 'fans'. If these people met Felix in real life, 99% of them wouldn't dare say those things. Half of them would gape and stutter and likely try and kiss his butt. A real shame at such fakeness some people hold. The internet is different. A veil on anonymty makes people say cruel things. I want you to remember something. If you're online and someone says something hateful to you, let it slide off your back and don't let it effect you. Even more so, and this is hard, find a way to carry that into the real world. Like if you enjoy doing music~ Music is hard! People can be so judgemental and cruel. Everyone has haters. Try and find a singer who is 100% loved and you won't. I hope you can continue to find ways to be confident in yourself and feel more comfortable in front of others. It sounds like you're on the right track. Making videos is honestly a great way to build up a thick skin. People will be mean but you'll also meet those awesome humans who enjoy what you do...and they make it feel worth it. And even if you don't find support in others, you can find it in yourself. In your passion.

I hope that makes sense. :)
      4270+ Subs and Counting - Let's Plays | ASMR | Vlogs
      I publish a video daily.
      Not going to give up.
      Not going to stop.
      1 Million Subs here I come!

My Channel
    • MissFushi wrote:

Hello. I'll speak with you a moment. I understand the feeling on anxiousness in public. When out and about I can come off as very confident but I know the feeling of being nervous and unsure of yourself. Most of us get it, even if we pretend we don't.

One thing you are right about is the mean things people say online. Those hateful words are nothing, they are nothingness. Like when you referred to Felix receiving hate comments from 'fans'. If these people met Felix in real life, 99% of them wouldn't dare say those things. Half of them would gape and stutter and likely try and kiss his butt. A real shame at such fakeness some people hold. The internet is different. A veil on anonymty makes people say cruel things. I want you to remember something. If you're online and someone says something hateful to you, let it slide off your back and don't let it effect you. Even more so, and this is hard, find a way to carry that into the real world. Like if you enjoy doing music~ Music is hard! People can be so judgemental and cruel. Everyone has haters. Try and find a singer who is 100% loved and you won't. I hope you can continue to find ways to be confident in yourself and feel more comfortable in front of others. It sounds like you're on the right track. Making videos is honestly a great way to build up a thick skin. People will be mean but you'll also meet those awesome humans who enjoy what you do...and they make it feel worth it. And even if you don't find support in others, you can find it in yourself. In your passion.

I hope that makes sense. :)
      It's very true....even if you don't find support in others, it's not the end of the world :)