Depression is Serious

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• Depression is Serious

So I've had depression since a young age. It got so bad that I started planning how I might die. I kept my emotions to myself and as a result, got Bipolar and started hurting myself. But then when I let all the tears out and cried over someone's shoulder, it made such a difference to my life. I learnt to laugh with my friends and to embrace living everyday. By staying positive, I'm a much better person that I was a few months ago and I'm happy in all my environments; school, home etc.

If you have depression and you've kept your emotions so bottled up that it's effecting you, speak up now, be honest and let out your emotions. Let all the tears out so you can wake up tomorrow and keep your chin held high. :brofist: <3 <3 <3
      It's Phyre to you.
    • It is good that you have become a better person. I also have been to a negative side, and got out of it as a better person, too, I guess. It changed me or I changed myself. It wasn't very deep for me I think. But depression could be a medical condition and I would recommend seeing a doctor, if it feels too hard to get out of it by oneself. If things feel too bad, there are medications that will help restore the normal functioning of nervous system. Don't be afraid to seek professional help. But anyway, talking and sharing experience is also a good thing.

Be happy! :)
    • This is a really nice thought, but usually depression can't just be solved by talking to people online. It can help, but I'd really recommend talking to someone in person or seeing a professional if you're having thoughts about self harm, suicide, etc.
      Some times people require medication or proper treatment in a different form.

So if you are suffering from depression, don't be afraid to open up to anyone here from the Bro Army... we're here for you and we want to help you. But also don't be afraid to seek professional help from a therapist.
    • I have bipolar (compounded by stoopid "boderline personality disorder", which I'm not sure I believe exists even though the doctor diagnosed me and I fit the symptoms lmao). Bipolar is not something that really goes away because there's no real cure for it yet, although there's periods of relative stability. For me that really means being numb and not caring about anything - but that's better than being so depressed I want to die. I don't know if that's "normal" or not? Like I assume most people when they're either not depressed or not manic still experience emotions. It's just never been that way for me - I'm either euphoric (admittedly I enjoy that... but it's not always safe because I'm more likely to do reckless things and enddanger myself), severely depressed, or... numb. But I take numb over depressed any day.

I don't talk to anyone about it really. Not even my therapist. We sit there and it's an awkward silence most of the time, or I got pretty good at distracting her with unrelated subjects I know she's interested in xD Like I literally cannot talk about things in my life. Even if I want to. Even to close friends. There's certain things I know I need help dealing with after all these years and that the therapist could help, but my tongue won't move and I go mute or just drift off and apparently I told her "Christopher can't speak about that". And that was that. The meds... eh, they make me feel crap too haha. I got onto Carbamazepine which was better than the last lot but it still makes me feel crap, which defeats the purpose. It does help more when the depressive part is coming through, so I end up ditching meds, starting them up, ditching them. Eh. Or self-medicating with codeine (it basically spaces me out) or alcohol and I really don't recommend either of those! (lol, I can kinda advise people what is not healthy to do, but haven't figured out what to do yet) :D

But I have noticed diet helps to manage some of the symptoms. Plenty of fresh fish works really well for me. And only a small amount of meat but with vitamin supplements. And plenty of veggies of course. The fish though... I really should look into that because it helps. Probably not everyone, but the diet thing is something to think about.

I understand people in some countries don't get access to free mental health care, and having at least one person around that you can talk to without being judged is important imo. I don't think it cures an actual clinical illness, but it helps and symptom management is very important.

I also think it's important to remember that having depression isn't a weakness. Some people view it as such, or tell people with depression to just snap out of it and stop being so weak. But it's not just feeling sad or down about something. It's like an actual inability to even get out of bed sometimes, or this constant struggle to still do and achieve the things you want to do and achieve while pretty much fighting your own brain at every turn. That takes a hell of a lot of strength.
    • Hello guys I'm a new member and I just want to say I totally understand how u all feel. I too suffer from depression. I haven't been diagnosed but I'm pretty sure it's there because of the things I go through everyday. I know it's a struggle when no one understands us, but together we can battle this difficult situation day to day. People may think we're weak but I think we're stronger than most because instead of taking the easy way out, we push and push.
    • I'm not going to lie here. I have depression. For eight years on Monday, it's been a struggle to live and be alive at the same time. Some days, it felt like I was trying to survive through the day. People who know me irl think I'm happy with life because I can "express myself confidently". That is what they see. They don't see the pain and suffering that comes with faking a smile every day for eight years. It hurts. When I'm at college and here in the Broarmy, I can actually relax and not fear about anyone saying something that can trigger a massive meltdown. This next part contains some deep feelings and emotions from the past, so you have been warned.

When I was 7 years old, I was meant to be a bubbly young kid. Instead, I was constantly bullied for my weight and size (I was around 10 stone then, idk). No one would talk to me, unless it was for money or help with homework. That's wasn't where I developed depression at first, but come to think of it, that did help with the feelings that I still have now about my body most days. My 8th birthday came and went, it wasn't something worth celebrating at the time because of the people at school who used to laugh at my body.

Every month or so, I used to go and visit my gran, even staying for a weekend at one point. She was the best person who I could've met at 6 years of age. I could tell her anything, and she would help me with my homework all the time I was with her. The naive-ness that everything was perfect soon got destroyed when I found out she had an illness that runs through the women side off my mum's family. Cancer. I found that out during the break from school to college earlier this year (my parents thought I couldn't cope with it earlier on, and I guess they were right), but at that time, I only knew she was ill and had to spend time in hospital. When I first found out she was ill, I lost all sense of celebrating Christmas, as I couldn't see my gran whilst she was in hospital. A few days before my 9th birthday, she passed away, killed by the cancer. At first, I was numb, enclosed, and most of all, quiet. I didn't want to accept that my gran wasn't coming back. I guess I was going through the 5 stages of grief or something at that point, except it goes from anger, to denial and then to depression. That cycle alone has been enough to push me to the breaking point a few times, the most recent being on Sunday. Let's just say that trying to take your own life isn't the best thing to do, but it feels like the right choice when that time occurs.

Without the support of some bros who I talk to most days, I probably wouldn't be here right now, typing this. I heard it gets easier to live with, and in my chosen career path (acting), I gotta be able to not let the past get in the way too much and look at the future in a positive manner.
      If someone says you're cute, never argue back. They can see the beauty in you, even if you can't. You're worth more than you think, so never give up. There is always a path in life for you to follow.
      :brofist:
    • I didn't realize how seriously I still was dealing with it until I didn't even want to get up in the morning and go to my classes. And these are classes I should be interested in! It's classes for my major! I just struggle so much to get up and all I want to do is sleep cause then I won't have to feel so much and think and be paranoid, sad, and just insecure. At least in my dreams I stand out and am important... And I lost my six month streak of being clean from cutting after starting college. And now it's always in the back of my mind along with death... But I'm trying really, really hard! I have found a good friend who is feeling the same way and we are just trying to build each other up.. It's tough...

But I think... I think that I will get there. I am so grateful for PewDiePie's videos... They just make even a moment out of my terrible, awful days a little good..

I am so happy to see bros supporting eachother and giving one another good advice and just being there! So great! Stay strong fellow bros! Don't be a salad.... Be a freakin, fabulous broccoli! :brofist: