(computer repair) Epic computer lockdown fail, need desperate help...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• (computer repair) Epic computer lockdown fail, need desperate help...

I was about to lend my computer to a café so anyone could play horror games on it, so I didn't want anyone to touch my things. To do so, I did a user account with parental control, but we could still go in my local disk and see all my personal stuff, so I right-clicked it and changed the security to make all users but the admin unable to access anything on the disk... That's was I thought... Now, even on my admin account, I can't access my local disk, nor my settings (cause everything is on this drive and I can't modify anything)... I can't even take a screenshot to show you, nor make a system restore, even on repair mode... I tried everything and I fear I have lost every single things on my computer... HELP! ;(
    BUBBLES!!
  • No, access denied... I changed the security so no one can even see what's in the disk... and no one can... I took a picture with my cellphone of what happens if I try to change the security again, as an admin...

1002662_830831736938576_6135451093239644118_n.jpg?oh=5a26165ad7de997e7484991734006197&oe=54F0B7F4&__gda__=1424148870_a644e2265930a91095c40298b85480eb

As you can see, I can't see any information and it tells me I need an authorization from the admin to check or modify the settings. When I click on Continue, it's access denied... My computer is now a paradox...
    BUBBLES!!
  • Before shelling out the money for a computer shop to fix it (those guys usually overprice all their services), try this:

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    2. In Control Panel, click User Accounts.
    3. In the User Accounts window, click User Accounts.
    4. In the User Accounts tasks window, click Turn User Account Control on or off.
    5. If the User Account Control dialog box appears, confirm that the action it displays is what you want, and then click Yes.
    6. In the Security section of the Windows Solution Center page, click Adjust UAC Settings.
    7. On the User Account Control Settings page:
    - To disable UAC, move the slider to Never notify, and then click OK.
    - To enable UAC or change levels of notification, move the slider to the appropriate notification option, and then click OK.
    If you decide to disable UAC, you will need to restart your computer in order to save the new settings.

Another option is to do a system restore to a time before you changed permissions in the first place.

source: Restore default security permissions for the hard disk partitions - Security - Windows 7
  • mKeRix wrote:

Before shelling out the money for a computer shop to fix it (those guys usually overprice all their services), try this:

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    2. In Control Panel, click User Accounts.
    3. In the User Accounts window, click User Accounts.
    4. In the User Accounts tasks window, click Turn User Account Control on or off.
    5. If the User Account Control dialog box appears, confirm that the action it displays is what you want, and then click Yes.
    6. In the Security section of the Windows Solution Center page, click Adjust UAC Settings.
    7. On the User Account Control Settings page:
    - To disable UAC, move the slider to Never notify, and then click OK.
    - To enable UAC or change levels of notification, move the slider to the appropriate notification option, and then click OK.
    If you decide to disable UAC, you will need to restart your computer in order to save the new settings.

Another option is to do a system restore to a time before you changed permissions in the first place.

source: Restore default security permissions for the hard disk partitions - Security - Windows 7

nothings happens when I click on change user account control settings... I guess it's because I created a kind of paradox in my computer by locking the disk where windows is installed with the instruction not to allow any change on the partition... And I thought about the system restore before posting this thread, but it encounters an unknown error, even on debug mode (or another mode, I tried them all so I'm not sure... >.<) I guess the only solution is to get my wallet out and make an expert check it out. o.o Thanks for the help though, it's very appreciated! :brofist: At least steam opens automaticly, if it didn't do it, I wouldn't have access to any of my games! XD
    BUBBLES!!
  • I saked help at the infocentre at the cegep and a guy with scotch tape in his glasses told me he could fix it by loggin with linux and tell my computer that my disk isn't locked, because it isn't really locked, it's just an information, like if you tell a guy that a door is locked he won't try to open it and he'll tell everyone that it's locked, but mr Linux isn't a dumbass and will open the door o.o
    BUBBLES!!
  • It's just file-system permissions. There's no need for them to boot to a live OS, you should still be able to boot into safe mode with command prompt, and it can be sorted from there quite quickly.
  • NanoPi wrote:

do you remember what permissions you set? did you tick any Deny boxes in the security tab?

back on that security tab, does clicking Continue or Advanced work?

if Advanced works, try taking ownership of the C drive. once you do that, you won't be limited by permissions and will have total control on the security tab..

if everything gets fixed this way, you should change the owner back to TrustedInstaller
    the full name to type is NT Service\TrustedInstaller

He already tried that... And Download it on another computer to a flash drive and Run it from the flash drive