Long distance relationships

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• Long distance relationships

Well hello there forum :) This is going to be my first post here :D
      I have a long distance relationship with a girl from Germany ( I live in Belgium ).
      I'd like to hear from some people who maybe had a relationship like this or knows some things about it that can help :)
      Anything is welcome!
      I'll give some background information about me and her,

I'm 18 and live in the center of Belgium
      She turns 17 on the 26th of October 2014 and lives oin the north of Germany
      It's about 504km apart ( I know it's not the longest distance but still.. )
      It costs me about 160€ to see her and I try to see her as often as I can ofc ( I try 1x per month ).
      I'm in my last year of school and she still has to do 1 more after this one.
      We speak english to eachother and we both learn the language of eachother slowly but surely.
      We're together since the 2nd of March 2013

I would really like some advice or tips or support whatever.. anything that can help on how we could be able to continue this relationship when we both are adults.
      Because I'm lost, I love her with all my heart but it's difficult to see a clear future for us. ( And I'm the type that wants to know what's going to happen )

So go ahead, type anything you want :D

Kind regards, Thomas :brofist:
    • Take this as a challenge for your life, knowing what's going to happen is just a non-fun ! Let's both of you end your grades ( Hey, did you tought about going germany to end your school or something ? Exchange student... ? )

I'll just say you to really don't throw everything because of distance ( you're visiting her 1x per month tho so.. I know some others peoples who can't even see themself IRL but after 3 years they're now together living in the same country etc.. )

I wish you a good luck and don't throw your relationship because of distance. :3
      Standing alone doesn't mean I'm alone, It means i'm strong enought to handle things all by myself.
    • I did think about going there as an exchange student but the school systems are very diffrently and it wasn't possible from my school's end :(
      And I will absolutely not throw away our relationship because of the distance :o but it is just hard to figure out how we will do it as we get older and want to live together. ( Kinda scared for the big world out there as they say )

Still today we love eachother alot and have no thoughts about breaking up anytime. :)
    • As an expert on long distance relationships, here's my advice:

Unless you can't visit her at least once or twice a week, the relationship will NEVER work.

Pretty much self-explanatory lol.

Also, if you can move near her and live there.. well, I see no problem in that. But don't ever think of prolonging a relationship that has more than 1000 miles distance between it.. it will never work and you'll just hurt yourself in the process.
    • I have been in a long distance relationship with my soulmate Sadies (who you can find on here) we have been together nearly two years and we are still as strong as ever. If you think it is worth it , even through the distance...go for it, love knows no bounds and in the end . everything works out. If you love someone you would go to the ends of the earth just to see them for a mere second. I would for Sadies.

I wish you luck

Xander
    • XanderShepherd wrote:

go for it, love knows no bounds

Here's an event that happened once to me:

I heard from someone that a girl on the internet I liked said to her that she likes me and she would actually want us to be in a relationship.

Afterwards, I go and talk to the girl, ask her if it's true, she said yes and all is lovey-dovey until the point where we met for the first time in Real Life, even though she SAW 4-5 pictures with me AND we talked for 6 months. After 4 dates she COMPLETELY lost interest in me and dumped me thinking that it's not how she imagined it would be.

Therefore, I strongly advise you to actually do meet your girlfriend in real life from time to time before going in a serious relationship with her. Girls are known to be a little scatter-brained, not having a certain List of things they need in their partner, thus relying heavily on Passion. Passion is a thing that tends to disappear often, even in close-distance relationships, and if that was THE ONLY THING keeping the relationship afloat, you will be left with quite the bitter disappointment.

In essence, take my advice and do WHATEVER it takes to reach your girlfriend. You can never be sure it will work unless you've met her in Real Life.

The post was edited 1 time, last by XanderRaidon ().

• Hello Thomas!

Giving advice about long distance relationships is hard because every couple is different. But I can tell you what I have learned from one failed and one successful long distance relationship.

- Good communication is important. In LDRs, a lot of communication is done through text based means. Make sure that when talking about things via text that you avoid things that can be mistaken or taken the wrong way. Never fight over texts. Use skype or phone calls, because knowing the other person's inflection and emotions are important.
      - Quality of conversations. My current relationship works because we love to talk about things. But we also enjoy doing things like watching the same movie at the same time while talking.
      - Dates. "Skype Dates" sound lame, but when your lives get busy, it's important for each other to feel like they are a part of your life, and setting aside time just for each other is essential.
      - It's a TWO WAY STREET! It's amazing that you spend the money to go see her so often. But it's important for relationships to be equal. Money is often a problem for meeting each other in these relationships, but she should also dedicate the time and money to see you. Of course if jobs and school are an issue, it's always very wonderful if the more flexible person can make the trip.

Most importantly, be very GRATEFUL! You are so lucky you are close enough to visit, especially so often. Treasure it and don't take it for granted. Many couples have to deal with far greater gaps in seeing each other.

Hope this helps! :brofist:
    • Well XanderRaidon, I did meet her already alot of times, I try to go in every holiday and we did meet first when we were not in a relationship yet but just as friends, only after that we started to get serious and I went to see her more and longer. And I'm sorry about what happened to your relationship then :/

Buckretta, Your advice is really helpfull, I try my best to try alot of things with her on skype like playing a game on omgpop ( sadly it's taken down ) and other stuff. Money is indeed a problem and since she's still 16 and I'm 18, I have more acces to money and my parents are more "okay" with the fact that I travel alot. She does have a job now like me so from now on the costs will be about the same for both of us. :)
      And we know that we're lucky to be "close to eachoher" for a long distance relationship but the times we're not together are still hard.

Thankyou guys for your advice so far!
    • Buckretta, your advice is probably useful for all relationships and I agree 100%. Thomas, I hope you take Buckretta's advice :) She's dead-on with the importance of communication. Try not to make texting your primary form of communication. Try to call or Skype as often as you can. Nothing is more reassuring as the voice or face of the person you love. It will also make misunderstandings less frequent. Although both of you need to focus on your studies, don't forget to set aside some time for each other <3

Unless you can't visit her at least once or twice a week, the relationship will NEVER work.

Two people who care and love each other can make it work. I have lasted months without seeing my girlfriend and I travel hours to see her when I can. We've been together for two years and we don't see an end anytime soon. I hope things work out!

Good luck,
      Turtle G. Taco
    • I have a long distance relationship with my bf as well. He is studying abroad(UK) and I am staying back in Hong Kong. 9568 Km if you are interested. It is quite challenging as you can't see each other often or hang out, but this is why the bond in between is stronger than others. Try to cherish the time you have together.

For us, we just talk to each other on FaceTime and text each other everyday. It always makes us feel like we are always there for each other. A lot of communications would help as well cause sometimes you really have to tell your other half what's wrong as they can't really feel your emotion when they are not around.

Tolerance is important in all relationships. You have to accept the difference between you and your other half, especially you and your gf is not from the same country. The fact is that man and woman are different creatures and they have different reaction towards the same incident, not to mention the cultural difference. Don't be surprised how different it can be. Try to relax and talk about it, you may learn something from it.

Be open-minded and reasonable. This is the way that everything will eventually works out. Of course you have to work hard with your gf, but don't worry, love is a powerful bond. Good luck with everything! ;) :brofist:
      Life is not fair, and that's the reason to work hard. :thumbsup: :brofist:
    • Well I am having a way long distance relationship!!! However in my case I can see my girlfriend while we are both students at the same University. Summer, Easter, Christmas I am all lonely!!! Alone in a forsaken place.... my village!!! Sorry if it was overdramatic but I miss her everyday there!!
      [
      BROFIST :brofist:
    • Well i've given a thought for a distance relationship. If you think about it, it would raise the bond and trust between you two if you can't see each other all the time. It makes every time you see each other just as awesome as the first time. I don't really see any other cons but feeling lonely from the large time between visits. Although that's not a problem at all, never seen anybody like that literally, and i've been really fuckin lonely for half a year now since the obnly best friend died away. I've spoken.

btw that suicided friend of mine was a bro too, and I was watching The Walking Dead serie while he killed himself and I got sad calls >.>

Finland lagshooting champion
      #FreeBandz #JohnStacks
    • nickth9 wrote:

We've been together for three years now!! I quess it's true what you are saying!! Distance really makes a differance in many ways... I am not having many friends in the village too so it is kinda boring without her but oh when I see her I jump with joy!!!!

At least you can be with her in school days :(
      My bf could't come bak during holidays and I can just see him during Summer :(
    • sherry12294 wrote:

nickth9 wrote:

We've been together for three years now!! I quess it's true what you are saying!! Distance really makes a differance in many ways... I am not having many friends in the village too so it is kinda boring without her but oh when I see her I jump with joy!!!!

I wish I could be with her on the summer but her family always tell her to stay with them on summertime!! We've almost never been to the beach together.... :love:
      [
    • My fiance and I come from having a long distance relationship. We started dating right before I turned 15, and he came to see me when I turned 15. We didn't live in two different countries though, or even that far apart, but eight hours is still a long car drive and at the time we were too young to really afford plane tickets all that often. We did live together at one point, but during a point in our relationship, we spent 14 months apart from each other.

Long distance relationships never get easier, but they do prove just how strong your relationship is, and how much you care for each other. Find different ways to do things together--like watching a movie, playing a game, etc., and when it comes to having fights, try not to go that long without talking. Work it out.

Good luck with your relationship! I was in one, and we've been together for seven and a half years, and engaged. :)
      manda + 22 + delaware
      [ j y u u b i . o r g ] [ t w i t t e r ] [ i n s a g r a m ]
    • nickth9 wrote:

sherry12294 wrote:

nickth9 wrote:

I wish I could be with her on the summer but her family always tell her to stay with them on summertime!! We've almost never been to the beach together.... :love:

I didn't went to the beach with him... and it's like 10 months per year that we are that far away from each other ;(
      As I am still a student, I really can't afford to go to the UK...
    • sherry12294 wrote:

nickth9 wrote:

sherry12294 wrote:

nickth9 wrote:

I didn't went to the beach with him... and it's like 10 months per year that we are that far away from each other ;(
      As I am still a student, I really can't afford to go to the UK...

Try to love him even more then I quess that is the only answer and you know studying is not forever!! He will finish someday and then you will be together again !!!
      [
    • It truly depends on how long the distance is and the foundation the relationship is built on.

My previous relationship was a girl I met on twitter. She lived all the way in the northern united states, I was about as far south as you could get. I talked with her all the time and we were "very close" in many ways I won't go into details, and I was very much in love. Problem is there was little chance of actually ever seeing each other. She cheated multiple times with multiple guys, it became an on again/off again thing until we just stopped. (I said some things I shouldn't have as well.)

About a month, month and a half, later I met my girlfriend Anais (also via twitter accidentally)and she lived about 50 minutes south of me (we're from Florida). We started talking and just sorta clicked (we were both huge my little pony fans, retro gamers, geeks, and OBSESSED with spyro the dragon) and decided to date. Unfortunately, she doesn't have any means of transportation and my parents weren't keen on me starting a relationship at this stage in my life (I'd be leaving for college soon), so it turned out I was only able to see her 5 times: At a math competition being hosted near her school, At the mall near her, at one of my dances, my military ball, and my band banquet. (Also, my mom had to do the driving and HATES driving in that area [we used to live there])

It wasn't the longest distance, but now I'm a freshman in college at Penn State (wayyyyyyy up north US) and she's finishing her senior year of highschool down there. But we're faithful and in love, and we both know it, so she's doing everything to come up here for college, and then we'll be together.

Point is, if love is the answer hold on, but you can't always know when it's actually love and it's easy to be fooled. If you can see her once a month, then you'll probably be alright. Best of luck droogie, and remember, love always finds a way.
      Gaming Humor Network (Youtube)____________HERE COMES THE AIRPLANE