CG & Editting software that's Open Source

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• CG & Editting software that's Open Source

Hi guys, I just wanted to share some software because I haven't seen it mention and I hear a lot of people try and use Windows Movie Maker.... don't o_o

First off try blender (blender.org) It is by far one of the best pieces of CG software and I use it daily for my work. I've used all the top ones: Maya, Max and SoftImage. Blender stands toe to toe with them. Are there things that one has that the other doesn't? Yeah if you're worried about Directed Acyclic Graphs or full on caustics - then yes, Blender is in progress on a few things.

Lightworks is one of the best editors out there. It was used on Wolf on Wallstreet, Hugo, and a whole host of o there Oscar and noteworthy films. It's free too: lwks.com It is a professional editor so expect a lot of buttons and nobs to begin with! But trust me, if you want to learn to be the best, work with the best stuff :)

Hope it helps.

<3 theoryanimation