Making a new PC z87 or x79?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• Making a new PC z87 or x79?

Hey everyone
      I'm new to this whole forum thing but I need to help and thought this would be a good place to ask for help. I'm looking to make a new pc that can handle everything a typical YouTuber has to throw at it. Seeing as I do gaming videos this means that its going to have to run high end games, run a screen recorder such as FRAPS, run as face cam, and maybe even render some videos all at once. I already know that i'm going for a I7 cpu however I can't make up my mind between x79 (ivy bridge) or z87 (haswell) motherboards. I want to make sure that I pick the right one so that when it comes time to up grade again I will only have to worry about my GPU and maybe my CPU. Also should I got with ASUS or EVGA? I hope you can help me out it would mean a lot!
      Join the Bongo Crew today by clicking > here <
    • x79 platform any day. Unless you really can't live with out haswell.. a x79 with a 3930x and then overclock that fucker with the H100i.

Build:
      CPU:Intel i7 3930x Extreme
      Mobo:Asus Rampage IV Extreme
      RAM:16-32GB DDR 3 1600-2133mhz
      GPU:Radeon 7950-7970 or Nvidia case GTX 770 or 780<-- Tho this card is a little pricey then the rest here.
      PSU:Around 750W or more from any branded powersupply's. (Corsairs,CM etc etc)

My advice is to never go for EVGA,if you are getting Nvida,go for ASUS,if you are going for AMD go for Sapphire or Asus.
      "Crush,kill,destroy. Burn it in the name of the emperor."-Space Marines.
    • Thanks Dzoniopusten ^^ however I am not worried about the haswell part of it, I'm more worried about the 1150 socket part of it. I feel like now that Intel has the 1150 socket there going to only make CPU upgrades for it. Also if you don't mind me asking why do you say that the x79 is the best choice? I'm not saying your wrong or anything like that I'm just trying to figure out why that one is better.
      Join the Bongo Crew today by clicking > here <
    • I think the x87 platform will suit you just fine. You only need the benefits of x79 IF you do a lot of 3d graphical work and need those 6-8 cores in a CPU, or if you need 64GB of RAM or plan on doing 3 or 4 way graphics card setup which all of these you won't need for doing Youtube.

Also just so you know, you should not bother trying to render a video while playing a game and recording that. Its just going to hurt your gameplay and recording, since rendering takes up a lot of CPU cycles.
      My Youtube channel = SlaterEvolution
      My Twitch.tv channel =
      SlaterEvolution
    • If you are looking to go into the mobile scene, then bump up to the z87. Really if you want more power either wait for the upcoming cpus or buy an x79. If you are looking for a great video card without breaking your spending pool, I recommend SLI the EVGA Nvidia 650 Ti Boost ($149.99 each). With those two cards, their combined power trumps the GTX 670..

Also if you are wondering which parts will go with what, I would recommend PCPartPick.com. Amazing site. Does a lot of the shopping for you!
    • i seriously don't want to get involved but i would say this much X79+ atleast a GTX 760...already explained to people 100 time that Haswell is only 10% better in performance compared to ivy Bridge but the mother board and CPU price compared to Ivy bridge is a rip off.also even with an Ivy bridge i5 the things that will make it go 100% can be counted by fingers.you say you want a High End so i assume you are going to spend more than 1500$ cuz to go High End you need to like SLI 2x770 which would cost 800$ a power supply atleast 750 gold so it would be stable SSD and all the stuff 16gb 2133mghz ram and stuff like that then you would be like at the beginning of High end.i suggest you to go and check around Tom's Hardware.