Buying a new desktop

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• Buying a new desktop

Hi there, I'm planning on buying a new gaming desktop or maybe build one myself. I saw on Pewdiepie's thread that he posted what kind of hardware hes using on his gaming pc here: FAQ (Technical Stuff). Can anyone help me as in building my pc like a step by step process. I haven't really done this before and want to get one made like the one Pewdiepie uses. Ill be Using newegg.com to get all my pc stuff to build it once i know what to do.
      ...................__
      ............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
      ........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
      ........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
      .........\.................'...../
      ..........''...\.......... _.·´
      ............\..............(
      BROFIST ...........
    • buy a desktop at IKEA.

THE SWED HAS SPOKEN!

[people i like and care about Dawn, krissnumadness, Madklauss, Kahisys, default, fire,Jericho, Flamez, dano, LordVoldemort, Emoteddylion, Toyosatomimi No Miko, Shikieiki Yamaxanadu, Dandy Dragon, Magragosh, Twixie, SqueedilyPlays, ChibiBunny,may837, GamerAddict247,ThatCoderBaron,Misfit the Inhumane, Emily and some more fuckers pm me if i forgot your name.
    • How to setup / create an epic desktop PC

I've got some examples of how to setup a desktop:

First thing to remember is that you'll need these components to get a working computer:

- HDD/SSD ( Hard Drive / Solid State Drive ) If you want a real fast OS then install your windows to an SSD. Intel SSD's are pretty good Asus too.
      - Mainboard/Motherboard - Brings all components together in an electrical circuit kinda makes everything communicate and compatibility is a keyword here. I recommend Asus
      - RAM/Memory - I recommend Corsair for memory bricks I'd choose 6-8 GB notice you can't have more than 4GB of memory on 32-bit so choose 64-bit windows.
      - Graphics Card/Graphical Power Unit - I personally like nVIDIA the most but ATi works fair enough too while more games support nVIDIA and nVIDIA has great stability drivers and 3D solutions if you'd consider that.
      - Power Supply/PSU - Choose Corsair here. Corsair is a beast at quality. If you have low Amp fuses in the house choose the AXi PSU since this won't rape your fuses when you turn it on/off or take power cord out and in.
      - Central Processing Unit/Processor - Intel/AMD depends on what you want to do. Intel is good for developing and AMD good for gaming. While Intel is good for both but more expensive. This is up to you.
      - A housing to place your components in

Now when you got this you gotta make sure that it will actually fit together, this is like you have a blood type A+ and you try to give a blood type A+ to someone who has B-.. Well get over it, it won't work!!

The best thing is to start with the motherboard,

For the Graphics Card:
      You will have PCI-E x 16 2.0 slots normally, this fits with most Graphics Card. While most newer Asus motherboards now support PCI-E x 16 3.0 this means the speed is increased between the motherboard and GPU. So it will still fit here as in the PCI-E x 16 2.0! Notice that the 3.0 will only boost cards which have been optimized for this new solution, won't make any effect on 2.0 speed GPU's. It's like you expect an USB 2.0 to go faster on USB 3.0 ...

For the RAM bricks you have to check what speed and amount of memory the motherboard can handle, also check which kind of RAM it is, we have 3 types today : DDR, DDR2 and DDR3
      Example:

Max Memory 32 GB
      Technology DDR3
      ClockSpeed 1600 MHz, 1333 MHz, 1066 MHz
      Speedtype PC3-12800, PC3-10600, PC3-8500

This tells you that you need a DD3 memory not over 32 gb and keep the speed to 1600MHz, 1333 , etc.. and the speedtype as said above.
      A last thing to check is the DIMM-Slots while this actually is constant depending if it is DDR, DDR2 OR DDR3 it may suddenly be a different Dimm-slot:
      Normally DDR3 uses 240-pins DIMM so make sure it says 240-pin DIMM on the memory brick you are going to buy.

The CPU, here you only need to check support of CPU Socket and which type of CPU, notice that some motherboards only support AMD and some Intel:

Socket AM XXXX means AMD
      Socket LGA XXXX means Intel
      Also some BIOS' Systems within the motherboard may only support different type of processors. Some may only support a Intel i5 or i7 , etc.. Make sure it says nothing or if it says something make sure it says the same as you have.

Last thing:

Make sure that your housing actually has enough space for the motherboard: Standard types ATX, E-ATX, Micro-ATX. If your motherboard is ATX size make sure your housing supports ATX sizes!

Now the Power Supply, A PSU comes in amount of Watts and they have safety for explosion and its like a fuse as well. Not much compatibility needed here, but you need to make sure it can actually power up your PC, make sure the amount of Watts is higher than the GPU's minimum recommended Watt and you're good to go.

700-850W is a fair enough value.

HDD/SSD + Other Internal Types within the housing:
      Here you only need Sata Cables to connect these components to the motherboard but be careful, read how much the different drives transfers. Since sometimes if you use Newer Stata cables ( they transfer 6gb/s) it can bug your system. So use old sata's that transfer 3GB/s if not compatible with higher.

To make sure your drive will fit in the housing check intern - 2,5" / 3,5" normally SSD is 2,5" or lower while HHD is 3,5" check the dimensions with the product!

Now you should have a desktop that will fit together, congrats :thumbup:

Also something to notice is if you want a new CPU cooler, make sure the CPU cooler support your cpu socket which I mentioned above! Or watercooling, same thing...

Now if you want the PC to work, you need your copy of windows. For example Windows 7 Ultimate. Remember to buy a Disc Reader and check if it will fit in the housing first!

Now put in the Win 7 disc. Start your computer, enter Bios and change the method to boot. Choose boot from CD and save & Exit and now you can begin installing Windows and the rest will be self-explanatory! :thumbup:

Hope this helped ya. :3
      Smile More, www.epicfail.com !
    • Thank you Pretador that helped alot on what i need to look for to start building it :)
      ...................__
      ............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
      ........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
      ........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
      .........\.................'...../
      ..........''...\.......... _.·´
      ............\..............(
      BROFIST ...........
    • Just want to add that if you're going to be building the PC yourself, you will want to work in an environment that doesn't encourage static to build up quickly. So that means build it in a room where the floor isn't carpet and you aren't wearing clothing that generates a lot of static from just wearing them. Reason i say this is because one little zap can be the end of a computer component especially the CPU. So just remember to ground yourself before starting. You can do this by touching something metal that is already grounded or by plugging the power supply into the wall socket but NOT having the power supply itself switched on.

Here's a comprehensive video of a step by step guide in building a PC. Even though the parts they use might be different the process is basically the same. (youtube.com/watch?v=qMRvz_IYSgM)
      My Youtube channel = SlaterEvolution
      My Twitch.tv channel =
      SlaterEvolution
    • I'd start with your budget. Set a maximum amount of money you want to spend, and then start planning out what parts you need. That way you can adjust either parts or price forwhat you're building. :) just a small recommendation.
    • Mobo: AMD:ASROCK Fatal1ty 990FX Professional Intel:ASUS P8Z77-V LX
      CPU: AMD:FX-8350 Intel:INTEL i5-3470 3.2GHz 6MB
      GPU: AMD:GIGABYTE Radeon HD 7850 2GB GDDR5 GV-R785OC-2GD Nvidia:GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 660 2GB GDDR5 GV-N660OC-2GD
      RAM: Kingston hyperX 1600mhz 4GBx2
      PSU:LC POWER LC600H-12 600W

You can switch these up however you want. And are probably around 500-700 Euro's.
      "Crush,kill,destroy. Burn it in the name of the emperor."-Space Marines.
    • You will be always able to buy way better computer for cheaper price if you buy the components and assemble it yourself. The assembling part may sound hard, but aslong as you follow the intructions provided you'll be fine.

What you should do is look for site that is dedicated for pc component stuff. If you dont already have list of parts to ask people opinions, they can make you part list when you tell your budjet. Dzoniepusten here has pretty decent list there, with both amd and intel parts. Remember you dont have to get killer pc right away, if you buy new bit more expensive motherboard it will last for while. Meaning you can upgrade your components when your money situation allows it.

Here's my own current components for referense
      •Asrock Z77 Pro 3 motherboard
      •Intel Core i7-3770K
      •8 Gigs RAM
      •Radeon HD 7870 GHz edition

I started by upgrading motherboard, processor and memory. Everything else was my old parts such as Ati radeon 6*** series graphic card and powersupply. Later when I had money I bought the 7870, and had to also upgrade my powersupply because the old one didnt have 2 PCI Cables for the card. I used the old graphics card until I had money for the new powersupply.

So instead of buying (roundabout) 1000€ machine right of the batt, I bought the parts in segments of 400-500€, 300€ and 100€.
      Once I had the entire new set, I sold the old parts to my friend. Dont be afraid of buying parts used either! While I myself prefer everything new, buying used will reduce the price ALOT making it really cheap to upgrade.
    • Well to be perfectly honest i've got a
      i3 3220 3.3GHz
      Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 2GB GDDR5 Factory Oc'ed to 975,then overcloked to 1050 mhz core clock,memory from 1200 to 1250. 7850 is a beast overclocker best bang for the buck. Then the 7950 is also a really good GPU right now.
      8GB of Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz memory
      Asus P8B75-M LX Plus
      And LC Power LC600H-12 600W

This all costed me around 412 Euros in my stores in Serbia,could be even less on newegg or some other hardware site.
      "Crush,kill,destroy. Burn it in the name of the emperor."-Space Marines.
    • Hey. Do you still need help with that build?
      If that is true, answer me to this questions please:

1. What is your maximum amount of money?

2. When you will buy this?

3. What resolution will you use?

4. What will you do with your future pc? (gaming, photo rendering, video rendering, etc)

5. Do you want to do overclock? (If you don't know what it is, you probably don't want to do)

6. Does your pc need to be dead-silent?

7. Do you have any components that you will use to your future build? If yes, tell me something about them, what model, etc.

8. Do you need peripherals (keyboard, mouse, mousepad, speakers, headphones)?