I want a gaming laptop. Any suggestions?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• I want a gaming laptop. Any suggestions?

I've had a gaming pc for a few months now, but I'm want to buy a laptop for gaming amongst other things, too.
      My budget is £900, so it doesn't have to be some kind of amazing beast, just something I can run most games at medium on.

My current PC is:
      CPU: i5-2500K OC @ 4.5Ghz
      GPU: nVidia GTX 560ti OC @950Mhz Direct CUII Top (functionally equivalent to GTX 570-GTX 580)
      RAM: 8GB @ 1600Mhz
      MoBo: H61 (I know I need to change this VERY soon, I only have it because my newer one broke)

On this rig I can max out every game at 1080p at 59.94fps as long as I use no AA and Low Shadows.

I know I am not going to get that kind of performance on a <£901 laptop, but please help.
    • I have the Samsung NP s3250, 15.6" screen and 6GB Memory with an intel i3 processor, so it's fast. I use mine for gaming and studying and it never slows even when downloading, i bought mines a year ago so there's probably a newer model with windows 8 and an i5 processor and what not so I'd recommend that if you don't want an alien since its just a regular laptop :)
    • I spent ages looking for a decent cheap gaming laptop, in the end I joined cashback site that also provide coupons, got a Dell Inspiron 17R SE, I chose the £809 model but at the time they offered free delivery and with my coupons it ended up at £650, with £30 cashback that went straight into my PayPal.
      So all in all a pretty good deal!

My suggestion is to do a search for coupons/cashback for online retailers and grab yourself a bargain!
    • I've got Lenovo Y580. It's really powerful laptop at a good price. It can handle with new games with no problem ;). I'm using version with i7 processor, GeForce GTX 660M card and 8GB RAM. I really can recommend this laptop for every gamer and even let's player - I'm recording my videos on it ;).
    • Most decent laptops can play games at a decent quality assuming you're willing to compromise on some eyecandy to keep the framerates decent. An i5 CPU is more than enough for gaming, consider an i7 only if you plan on doing video editing or using programs that utilise multiple threads. 4GB of ram is again sufficient for gaming purposes assuming you're not running something like photoshop while playing. Anything with a laptop with a Nvidia GTX 650M is good for playing games at around medium level graphics (660M is noticeably better but will cost a bit more). AMD's equivalent of the 650 would bet the 7770M.

So using those specs as a guide take a look to see if there are laptops that have the features you want and the above mentioned hardware to run the games you want to play at medium settings. (Also do take into account that some games run better on Nvidia cards, while others run better on AMD cards, its all down to drivers. So take a look at benchmarks for the games you want to play as well to help decide).

Asus is a good brand to buy laptops, i personally own one myself. It's not ROG nor does it have the same horsepower as i mentioned above. But it can still play games at a good enough quality and framerate to be acceptable.
      My Youtube channel = SlaterEvolution
      My Twitch.tv channel =
      SlaterEvolution
    • lolocaust1942 wrote:

I've had a gaming pc for a few months now, but I'm want to buy a laptop for gaming amongst other things, too.
      My budget is £900, so it doesn't have to be some kind of amazing beast, just something I can run most games at medium on.

My current PC is:
      CPU: i5-2500K OC @ 4.5Ghz
      GPU: nVidia GTX 560ti OC @950Mhz Direct CUII Top (functionally equivalent to GTX 570-GTX 580)
      RAM: 8GB @ 1600Mhz
      MoBo: H61 (I know I need to change this VERY soon, I only have it because my newer one broke)

On this rig I can max out every game at 1080p at 59.94fps as long as I use no AA and Low Shadows.

I know I am not going to get that kind of performance on a <£901 laptop, but please help.
      Get the cheaper Alienware .. like the m11x or something. It fits your budget and will run all games (on decent quality).