Do I?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• Well, my parents are divorced-well, seperated, and I want to know if I sound selfish for not wanting them to remarry, as I really don't want to have to call anyone else in my life "Mum" or "Dad" and I just can't imagine them with anyone but each other. I know I should just accept it and move on, so does anyone have any ideas on how to move on?
      I'm 15, if this helps.
    • I cant really help with the dealing with the separation, but in regards to calling someone else 'mum' or 'dad', you should never be expected too, my dad left before i was born and my step dad has been around since i was a toddler, but I've never called him anything but his name, as i could never get used to the idea of calling him dad.
      Lets Play Episodes Every Monday - Friday at VexPlaysThis

• it's kinda selfish to want them not to get married (or, just have a relationship) again. you're not supposed to call their hypothetical partners "mom" and "dad" anyway, usually they're called with their names. my parents are separated too, and i wouldn't mind if they'd get to know someone "special" again... if they're happy, for me it's ok.
      "Bonds of people is the true power"

My gallery on deviantArt -> lldimall.deviantart.com/
    • It's not selfish to not want them to remarry, it's a personal view, it will only become selfish and even disrespectful if you enforce your desire to them. Everyone has views, it's not selfish to have a view or an opinion, it's selfish to enforce them without giving respect to their own freedom because you are literally taking away something that they would want, and it would only become a constant strain between you and your now divorced parents (apologies if it may offend). If anything, you should let them be for now.

I've read once that "Everything with a form eventually breaks, but that is also the time which it burns bright within our memories"

So yeah, best you leave it be for now, just continue with what you're doing. If ya need any kind of help, bros are here to help :3

"When life gives you bullets... ME! CORMANO!"
      Visit meh on deviantART and see all my horrible art stuff
      ChronoPinoyX deviantART
    • My parents never got married and they actually seperated when I was very young like maybe 3 or 4 years old. When I was 6 my mum met someone else and soon got married. It was an odd experience having to have a stranger trying to be an artificial dad but it was only till I was older that it REALLY bugged me. Around two or three years ago they seperated and I wasn't really phased by it, I wasn't the biggest fan of the guy for certain personal reasons but my mum later found someone else who is actually really nice and I am happy for her.

My dad has always had bad luck with woman and since I was 13 when I started living with him perm I would meet a lot of the ladies he would bring back and generally never see again. These included his ex-fiance who was an horrible, abusive person who I had to physically throw out of our house because of it.

The point is that you aren't being selfish, you are just being protective of your parents and not wanting things to change. Change can be good AND it can be bad as I explained above but sometimes it can be really good like my mum found. The thing you have to remember is that those new people they meet aren't going to try and replace your dad or your mum, they are there to try and make your parents happy. You have to treat it like when you get a boyfriend/girlfriend, that is basically what your parents are doing. There is nothing wrong with it and they have to watch their children have their on and off partners for years to come.

The thing is that you are only 15 years old. You haven't learnt, or understood how everything in the world works yet but one day you will and you will feel happier. It is just how life goes. One day you may find someone you feel you could spend the rest of your life with, have a child and sadly seperate from them (I hope it never happens to you). The reason could be through stress of work, loss of physical and emotional attraction, any number of reasons. The thing is though that while your parents have split up, their number priority and thought on their mind will always be you and how you cope with the situation.

If it is really, really saddening you then don't be afraid to talk to your parents about it, so that they can understand what you are thinking. Remember that parents aren't mind readers and if they know that they are moving their lives too fast for their children then they will slow down for the sake of your feelings.

Finally going back to parents meeting new partners in general. You might actually be surprised by the certain types of people you meet through them because really that person who you hate just for wanting to make your parents happy probably just wants to find some acceptance from you and be your friend. For all you know they may like the same things as you and you might actually get along really well.

This McDonalds advert came out recently and to be honest I think it was one of the best adverts ever created on television that makes my point entirely. Don't judge the cover of a book because you may actually like the contents :)
      There is always time for muffins.