Dieting

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• From a young age, I was blessed with an overactive thyroid (which impeded my health pretty badly) keeping me thin, allowing me to eat whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted.
      It was when I was about 18 I got my first bout of Thyroiditis. After this, I realised I was actually putting on weight for the first time in my life. And after I had a kidney infection in late August 2011, this started to be more so.

In 3 years, I went from a (UK) size 6, to nearly 12. Considering I've -always- been tiny (I'm only 5ft1), this came as a huge shock to me.

Because of this, I was forced to rethink my lifestyle and the way I eat. The conversation popped up in the shout box the other day, and I had so much to say, so I figured I'd just dump it all here and answer questions as they come.

EXERCISE:
      Now this is the obvious one. You need to lead at least a semi active lifestyle to lose weight. My preferred method of exercise is walking. It gets your heart pumping, burns calories, and you can do it with friends easily. I used to take evening walks across the town I lived in and back with a friend. We'd talk, laugh and it'd just generally be pretty nice.
      You can obviously do harder exercise, but for anyone that doesn't usually undertake vigorous tasks, it could be a bit of a body shock. The main thing about dieting is moderation. And this is also true of exercising.

MEALS:
      Before I go off on a rant about food itself, I'll talk a little about meals.
      If you're having a meal with everything (meat, veg, staple food), the key thing to remember is portion size. I'm a massive carnivore, and that has been one of my downfalls when losing weight. But rather than having a meal that's say, 1/3 of the plate to each. Try having less meat and more vegetables. Staple foods are a huge part of any diet, but I found they helped me gain weight a lot easier, so be very careful of that.
      Meal size is also important, but I eat a lot in general. Instead of having 3 large meals a day, I try to just have 5 smaller ones, spread throughout the day. Models often live like this.
      I also replaced breakfast with a smoothie, which was amazing, really got me going in the mornings (due to the natural sugar being easier to digest than artificial ones), and made me feel a lot healthier in general. This isn't for everyone, but I'll throw it out there anyways. You can get a decent smoothie maker on amazon for about $35 USD.

FOOD:
      The meals section was so large, as it's not so much what you eat, it's how much. Don't starve yourself by any means, but just make sure instead of troubling your body with 3 massive meals a day, have more smaller ones, more often.
      Me and my family believe that animal fats are actually pretty good for you, but again moderation is key. The human body has evolved to eat animal fat, and deals with it itself, there's no need for you to go out of your way and remove as much as possible from the foods you eat.
      Saying this, it's always a good idea to try and get reduced fat versions of food in general, everything in moderation.
      I've found since moving back to my Dad's, that curries are excellent for weight loss. They're pretty light, and generally quite filling if you use the right ingredients.
      If you need to bulk up a meal without say, having a massive portion of rice or a jacket potato, try just frying up a squash in a little butter and dunking that with it. Squash is pretty tasteless and easy to digest.

SNACKING:
      This is something I've struggled with a lot. I've tried to keep to one rule though: If I need to snack, I'll have a cracker, a piece of toast, or something like that. Fibre is excellent for snacking, so anything wholegrain is always a good way to go. Many people recommend celery, but I've gotta say I'm not a fan, generally anything low fat, high in fibre is a good way to go.

EATING:
      Here's a key one, chew your food. I mean really mash it up. Not only does it make it easier to digest, it also means you take longer eating, as well as fill up more.
      Eat slowly, there's no rush, enjoy your food, taste it. The human body generally reflexes to make you feel full after 20 minutes of eating anyway. Make sure you have a glass of water or something when you eat, as your body isn't as good as you think it is, sometimes it can confuse hunger and thirst, so just be careful.

If you slip up, don't beat yourself up about it, it happens. :)

So yeah, I hope this wasn't too hard for you all to read, if you have any questions, just post them here and I'll try to reply best as I can!! :D
      So uh. I write

The post was edited 2 times, last by Vicsyyy ().

• Get a brace, and have a dentist who threatens to physically harm you if you eat something sugary... Works a treat..

Do something you enjoy! That might be your favourite sport, or just lifting some weights. I enjoy doing simple exercises with weights and that in the relative safety of my own bedroom, as it helps me to relax my mind, I can think about things, and I can be proud of what I've done at the end of the day.

Also, make things yourself more! I personally have always been blessed with a family that makes a lot of food's themselves. This is better for you, as you KNOW what's in it, and it can also be cheaper! Buy a bread machine, or just make biscuits yourself (instead of a cake/sweet snack) and it'll taste good, keep you occupied, and expand what you can do. Be creative!

Want a burger? Make one yourself! Burger makers can be pretty cheap to pick up, and if you make the bun aswell, can taste completely different, but in a good way! Chop some potatoes into wedges to have with them, and you have a moderately healthy meal! Better than a McDonalds anyway..

Trust me, all it takes is some determination. Once you have that, and a goal in mind, the world is yours for the taking..
      A smile a day, keeps sadness away!

Come and have a good ol' cuppa with me... You know you want to ...
    • Before going to school i would drink a glass of wheat grass, i don't eat breakfast. And the wheat grass has an effect that makes you feel full plus it improves your metabolism which is perfect for a person who hates to exercise or doesn't have the time to exercise. Also I eat dinner at around 5pm, and i don't eat after 6pm. I avoid eating junkfoods and fastfoods and i hate soda, i always prefer to drink water, tea or juice. And instead of drinking milk i would drink unsweetened soy milk.

I don't exercise regularly because im freakin' busy, but whenever i have the time to do so then i exercise. :D
    • Pink Chocolate wrote:

Before going to school i would drink a glass of wheat grass, i don't eat breakfast. And the wheat grass has an effect that makes you feel full plus it improves your metabolism which is perfect for a person who hates to exercise or doesn't have the time to exercise. Also I eat dinner at around 5pm, and i don't eat after 6pm. I avoid eating junkfoods and fastfoods and i hate soda, i always prefer to drink water, tea or juice. And instead of drinking milk i would drink unsweetened soy milk.

I don't exercise regularly because im freakin' busy, but whenever i have the time to do so then i exercise. :D

Hmm I've never heard of the wheat grass, sounds interesting!! :)
      So uh. I write
    • Pink Chocolate wrote:

Before going to school i would drink a glass of wheat grass, i don't eat breakfast. And the wheat grass has an effect that makes you feel full plus it improves your metabolism which is perfect for a person who hates to exercise or doesn't have the time to exercise. Also I eat dinner at around 5pm, and i don't eat after 6pm. I avoid eating junkfoods and fastfoods and i hate soda, i always prefer to drink water, tea or juice. And instead of drinking milk i would drink unsweetened soy milk.

I tried that before when I kept seeing my tutor teacher and my friend have the drink everywhere. I didn't like it D: But it's good ^^
    • Great, I'm sure some will find this helpful!

Personally, I've never really had a good appetite and I'm awfully picky about everything I eat, so I've never found myself struggling with weight issues. Healthwise, I've had trouble with exercising since I'm really... how should I say it? Comfort seeking? Well, I hope you get what I mean. So I never got myself a driver's license 'cause I just KNOW I'd never walk again haha~ So yeah, pretty much walking everywhere :>

(muscle strength is non-existent though)
      "Cool guys don't look at explosions~"
    • Alright, so after getting a tummy bug, I've lost 15 lbs.

Although, I've been implementing a healthy life style as well, walking home from school, eating less fats/sugary foods, and weighing myself once everyday in the morning.
      I also know how to cook, so if I want anything to eat, I just make myself something that I know is healthy, aka chicken, lean meats, veg, and some fruits here and there.
      I also discovered that wonderful thing of crystal lite, from what I know, I think it's 0 calories or 5, something like that, but it gives water a whole new flavor, since I don't really enjoy bland foods much[need to have spices here and there].
      I also learned that if you soak herbs in water overnight, it tastes really good as well, make sure they're dried herbs though, unless you mash up the fresh ones.

If anyone wants recipes from me, I'll gladly share c:

"Lefi is lefi
      if someone try to change lefi
      lefi will be mad
      lefi will fak yer shit up"
      Brootal c:

I love Mkerix, more than my Pokemon.<3