Dealing with depression?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• Dealing with depression?

It's extremely rare that I ask for personal advice on the internet but I know there's a lot of people going through the same thing. I've been extremely tearful and emotional for the last fortnight or so and I was finally diagnosed with clinical depression earlier this evening by my doctor. I've been given tablets but they are a one a day dosage and are said to take up to two weeks to take hold to a noticeable effect. Is there anything I can do to help ward away the intense emotional feelings or any ways to stay calm, etc? Any advice is appreciated. More than anything I just want to avoid breaking down whilst I'm at work, since I share an office with my co-boss it wouldn't go down too well if I soaked his paperwork in tears that I can't explain :|
      Subscribe! YouTube
      Fan Group!Facebook
      Follow me! Twitter
    • Just think about something, when i was depressed I always told miself to move foward to the future and to keep living my life, you should do that as well
    • Depression is a hard thing to deal with. Sometimes you just have to really...and I mean REALLY push to do something, and once you do, things get better. Find motivation in simple things. When I had some slight depression, I really struggled to do anything, but I tossed myself into new hobbies and activities and I eventually became happier and well-balanced. I know it is one of the toughest emotional states to get through, but all you can do is forge ahead, and really push yourself. Eventually things sometimes sort themselves out.
      Just know that you have a supporting community on this forum, and that you have people that believe in you. (Goes for anyone with depression out there.)
    • I've been diagnosed with bipolar disorder for several years, but I've never received treatment for it. No significant treatment, anyway. I don't feel ready to.

Though, what usually helps me get by is listening to Stephen Fry... Might sound silly, but he talks a lot about depression and I often feel like he's the only one who really gets it. Hes done an amazing documentary on it, and I usually watch when I'm really, really down. Knowing other people get through it helps. And writing and video games are nice, too; they give me hope.
    • If you have an animal in your house where you live it's a good distraction from your thoughts and all that kind of stuff. xD I know that because I have a dog and whenever I felt sad or something like that my dog always cheered me up, I know for others is like a buddy (a human being) is the best way to go to, but they dont ussualy understand what you're going through or how he can help you out, but a pet for example a dog all he wants is to play with you and I think that's all you need at that moment . xD
    • Vicsyyy wrote:

Take the pills, you'll feel better soon. And if after 2 months you're not feeling much better, go to the doctor, ask for a higher dosage.
      Also, keep yourself occupied, a lot of people get depressed when they don't have anything to do.

This ^

I have nothing else to add honestly.
      You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.
    • I've been so depressed back in 2012 for like 3 months straight.
      I remember, I went out with friends, listened to my favorite music, played games and so on.
      At first it didn't help much at all. But then I kept doing these everyday tasks, and It went away.
      I hope i could help you somehow. :love:
    • Vicsyyy wrote:

Take the pills, you'll feel better soon. And if after 2 months you're not feeling much better, go to the doctor, ask for a higher dosage.
      Also, keep yourself occupied, a lot of people get depressed when they don't have anything to do.
      I don't think taking pills is the answer, I mean there are other ways to deal with this kind of stuff. And I've watched M.D. House too many times to know that depression pills can make a big consequences.
    • Watch more pewdiepie? \o/ lol thats what i do but a good method ive found is to be around other people with positive attitudes and lots of jokes laughter is one of the best medicens (i know i spelled that wrong) and its been my addiction for years thats one of the things pewdie's vids help me with every day sence i dont have many freinds o3o *forever alone* but yah just stay positive and most of all live laugh and love . :p and ofc do what your doc says thats always a good idea. ( |||)
      ( ||| )>
    • Vicsyyy wrote:

Mmmm no. Emotional feelings should never be tamed with man made medicine. All bouts of depression have an original course. The question is, what is that reason? Why do you feel depressed? What makes you feel like breaking down?

To be honest when I finished university I hit into a painful wall of depression. I would keep it bottled up inside, I couldn't get a job as no one wanted to hire a student with no experience even if highly qualified. I spent a lot of time thinking I had wasted me and my parents time. I felt like I had no place in society and that I would never live up to anyone's expectations. My parents would natter me to get a job, but how do you get a job when no one is employing you. I eveb sometimes wondered what it would be like if I just died and didn't exist.

The problem was that I had spent my entire life in education. I had attempted to mold myself to be something that people would not allow me to become with any good reason. Constant job rejections and family pressure aren't good feelings and finally one day I just sat in my room and broke down in tears. It is ok to cry. If you feel that it is shameful then don't think that way as we all need to just let our emotions out sometimes.

The thing to do is to have that moment. Literally ball your eyes out let all the negative feelings wash out of you and then just pause for a second. Bring that reason you are feeling so bad into the forefront of your mind and face it head on. Are you really going to let that clinging, horrible feeling get you down? Hell no. It has no control over you because you have complete control over your life and the things you do.

A certain thing that a lot of males and females do while going through depression is to
      Display Spoiler
      masturbate. There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing it and it releases chemicals inside your body that help you relax and take away the worries inside your noggin. Sure is sounds a little weird but hey it is one of the most popular remedies of a horrible negative day.

I think you should never use a pill to instantly solve a problem. Sure you can use them for colds and other illnesses but depression isn't an illness. It is a state of mind. You need to confront it, grab by the balls and then go youtube.com/watch?feature=play…lpage&v=gAYL5H46QnQ#t=17s
      There is always time for muffins.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Noirproxy ().

• Depression IS an illness.
      I've been on antidepressants for 3 years now, without them I'd have killed myself long ago. Sad but true. Some people can't just cry whenever they feel bad, and often that takes a long time to feel better afterwards. People need to keep going.
      While yes, a lot of depression is due to cause and effect, sometimes it isn't. Sometimes people have faulty receptors in their brains for "happiness hormones".
      I am one of those people. So please don't sit and tell me that people can get over it and the medicine is bad. Because it isn't. It has literally saved my life.
      So uh. I write
    • Vicsyyy wrote:

Depression IS an illness.
      I've been on antidepressants for 3 years now, without them I'd have killed myself long ago. Sad but true. Some people can't just cry whenever they feel bad, and often that takes a long time to feel better afterwards. People need to keep going.
      While yes, a lot of depression is due to cause and effect, sometimes it isn't. Sometimes people have faulty receptors in their brains for "happiness hormones".
      I am one of those people. So please don't sit and tell me that people can get over it and the medicine is bad. Because it isn't. It has literally saved my life.

I didn't say to get over it. I said to take a step back and think what it might be. We don't know what the cause is, we don't know anything about him. There is no point telling him to just take pills because for all we know he might not need them. As you said it can either be something you just grow up with, or cause and effect. Mine was a suggestion in cause and effect. Thanks for the negative vote for putting my opinion foward though. Mature.
    • His doctor has already prescribed them, which means they've evaluated what he's said, and have decided it's the best course of action. That's all I need to know to say "stick with it". Sometimes you need something like that to help you find the cause, and judging by what he's said. I believe it's the best course of action aswell.

Edit: The downrep was for saying Depression isn't an illness when it's completely recognised that it is.
      So uh. I write
    • Vicsyyy wrote:

His doctor has already prescribed them, which means they've evaluated what he's said, and have decided it's the best course of action. That's all I need to know to say "stick with it". Sometimes you need something like that to help you find the cause, and judging by what he's said. I believe it's the best course of action aswell.

Edit: The downrep was for saying Depression isn't an illness when it's completely recognised that it is.

He asked us for advice about relaxing and such. I don't see "Don't talk and just take your pills" as sound advice when we can potentially help him manage and gain perspective of his depression. We as a community should support him with as much advice as possible once he shares more information.