[Please, Pewdie] Audio Compression

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• [Please, Pewdie] Audio Compression

Please use just a little bit of audio compression on your vocal track when editing in Premiere.

If you go to the Audio mixer panel, and click the white arrow on the left of all the tracks near the top, an area with about 8 blank spots will appear above each audio track.

Find the audio track that has all your voice audio (talking, screaming etc.), click the arrow on the right side of the first blank, and insert "Dynamics" then right click the "Dynamics" and click "Edit"

Set the Threshold to about -12db, the ratio to about 3 - 5 ish (1 = no compression, the higher it goes, the more "squished" sudden loud noises will sound, but about 3 or so shouldn't squish it too much, and 5 is normal, but I am assuming you would like to keep some of the sudden-loud-noise effect that your screams give, which is why, I assume, you have never used compression, so 3 would be a nice compromise)

Then set MakeUp accordingly (This basically raises the volume of the whole track -after- the compression takes place) I would say about 3db would be ok, if you feel like the entire track got too soft, raise the volume here.

This will save my speakers, and make it easier to listen to your great movies without fear of busting a speaker every time you scream. I can understand if this is some sort of effect you're aiming for, but adding some light compression shouldn't reduce that effect too much, and once you get a good compression setting down, you can save as a preset, and just plop it into the audio track everytime, and you should be good.

I'll watch them either way (of course, at a very low volume) but if possible, please do this as a favor to a bro.

Thanks