What if there is no internet ?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• Very interesting thought, gonna make a guess or three, prepare for some shitty spelling.

By internet I'll be assuming that we're talking about the easy to acess via router and a networkcard... etc... And not the entire ducking cable system laid underground and underwater across the world.

But yeah... A thing that came to my mind is lan parties, dreamhack in perticular. Dreamhack was essentially a file sharing place some swedish dudes came up with in the 90's, there they would connect their computers via regular tp cables (regular ethernet cables lol) to reg rj45 slots, then just adressing both with the same protocol (ip) thus being able to share files between their computers, you're actually able to connect alot of ducking computers this way, and yeah... It's essentially a lan party haha Local area network. But without the actual "connect to the clouds" thing. EDIT: forgot there was a thing called WLAN lol.
      What you're thinking now is ~Hey... isn't that kinda internet tho? Since you need a networkcard to take the tp cable? and set a protocol? Yeah ur right, I wouldn't regard it as "internetless" but there's actually something that was before the thing that we call internet nowadays lol. It's called arnet arpnet or something, it's what the military and goverment used in the 70's to transmit data during the cold war... It was also what was used to send the first email.. Even tho it went very slow haha. But yeah... We could get that to the general public and advance it with modern fiberoptics (and no fiberoptics doesn't have to be internet related, it's just a cable lol) And no I don't think it would take long to make this fully operateable, considering alot of peoples lifes are at stake ETC, ya know hospitals need internets too? ;P And nor do I think it will take long for computer enthusiasts to adapt to these changes, so super fast advancements is pretty much a fact.

Another thing that came to mind is bluetooth, sharing media like via bluetooth will most likely gain quite some popularity. Even more then the early 2000's. Considering all kids have phones now \_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/.
      This makes me wanna start up my old sony ericsson to check my shitty ass songs lmao.

Burning cd's would most likely gain more popularity, since it's a easy way to copy files and give it to friends etc as a rom. :)
      The fileburning days will have come back hahah, I dont want more cd's... lol
      ------------
      Might wright more to this if I get some more ideas...
      I spit fire, im a real snowman.
    • There's two types of people. Ones who go into detail, and those who don't go into a lot of detail.

now I wanna find my old flipphone and play snake on it
      I'd rather live with broken bones than lay here all on my own like a lovesick fool.

If you need me, visit my about me section on my profile for my skype contact.
    • BonLee64 wrote:

There's two types of people. Ones who go into detail, and those who don't go into a lot of detail.

now I wanna find my old flipphone and play snake on it
      Referring to me ?{ ͡• ͜ʖ ͡•} Well, I felt like I had to simplify what I originally had to say, so it turned out quite long lol.

Go find it and look at what you've got on there x) Checking old stuff is really fun haha
    • tmaplez wrote:

Very interesting thought, gonna make a guess or three, prepare for some shitty spelling.

By internet I'll be assuming that we're talking about the easy to acess via router and a networkcard... etc... And not the entire ducking cable system laid underground and underwater across the world.

But yeah... A thing that came to my mind is lan parties, dreamhack in perticular. Dreamhack was essentially a file sharing place some swedish dudes came up with in the 90's, there they would connect their computers via regular tp cables (regular ethernet cables lol) to reg rj45 slots, then just adressing both with the same protocol (ip) thus being able to share files between their computers, you're actually able to connect alot of ducking computers this way, and yeah... It's essentially a lan party haha Local area network. But without the actual "connect to the clouds" thing. EDIT: forgot there was a thing called WLAN lol.
      What you're thinking now is ~Hey... isn't that kinda internet tho? Since you need a networkcard to take the tp cable? and set a protocol? Yeah ur right, I wouldn't regard it as "internetless" but there's actually something that was before the thing that we call internet nowadays lol. It's called arnet arpnet or something, it's what the military and goverment used in the 70's to transmit data during the cold war... It was also what was used to send the first email.. Even tho it went very slow haha. But yeah... We could get that to the general public and advance it with modern fiberoptics (and no fiberoptics doesn't have to be internet related, it's just a cable lol) And no I don't think it would take long to make this fully operateable, considering alot of peoples lifes are at stake ETC, ya know hospitals need internets too? ;P And nor do I think it will take long for computer enthusiasts to adapt to these changes, so super fast advancements is pretty much a fact.

Another thing that came to mind is bluetooth, sharing media like via bluetooth will most likely gain quite some popularity. Even more then the early 2000's. Considering all kids have phones now \_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/.
      This makes me wanna start up my old sony ericsson to check my shitty ass songs lmao.

Burning cd's would most likely gain more popularity, since it's a easy way to copy files and give it to friends etc as a rom. :)
      The fileburning days will have come back hahah, I dont want more cd's... lol
      ------------
      Might wright more to this if I get some more ideas...

I got asked about this on discord trivia lol, and I duck up. :(

• No life without internet?

Think about it. If the internet were to die today, then that means there wouldn't be any online problems anymore. Everyone wouldn't have to put up with idiots from other countries. That'll mean less bullcrap to put up with.
      I'd rather live with broken bones than lay here all on my own like a lovesick fool.

If you need me, visit my about me section on my profile for my skype contact.
    • BonLee64 wrote:

I swear I'm the only one who thinks about the positive outcomes here sometimes...
      We're all nerds here so of course without the internet the suicide rate of bro's would go way up.

As for me, I got a few backup plans, luckily. I always loved crafts, arts and building stuff. I could get into carpentry. Maybe cartoons if I feel courageous. Also it would be the perfect time to practice the guitar.
      Indie game dev extraordinaire! | My website | My Twitter