Firewatch - Thoughts on the End? (Spoilers)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• Firewatch - Thoughts on the End? (Spoilers)

I just finished playing Firewatch last night. Pewds released his full playthrough the other day. Regardless of whether you played or watched it, what did you think of the ending?

The whole time I was expecting alien or government conspiracy or something and it ended up being such a simple explanation. At first I felt very let down but after I let it sink in I understood it a little better. This game was meant to be realistic. It was real people with real situations and realistic events. A Sci-fi ending wouldn't have made sense and not every game has to have a far out plot explanation. I still admit it didn't leave me feeling fulfilled or happy but maybe it wasn't meant to?

What do you think?
      4270+ Subs and Counting - Let's Plays | ASMR | Vlogs
      I publish a video daily.
      Not going to give up.
      Not going to stop.
      1 Million Subs here I come!

My Channel

The post was edited 1 time, last by MissFushi ().

• I think the game had a good ending. Not a masterpiece of modern story telling. But not too bad of an ending.

I mean firewatch on itself is a very simple story:

A man with a problem isolates himself , in his isolation he meets people, there's a mystery, he solves the mystery , people feel better, end.

I mean i must be honest i did not expect nothing more , but the game in all is simply a good game, it's a leisure story , the only thing that might kinda bring it's grade down is that the story is built so that it hypes you small amounts towards a disney style happy ending, but you just don't get that, so it takes some time after playing the game to realize that in all it's a solid game.
    • Well, at first I was really disappointed by the ending. It made me go "Is that it?", I admit I was looking forward to meet Delilah, her voice kinda seemed...you know. Well, it seems that many bros who finished the game felt the same. Of course the whole thing is more deeper than it seems. There are many logical points and secrets to be uncovered, which you will, if you are into the game. Contrary to popular opinion, the game doesn't have an 'true' ending, but the ending can be justified. There are many videos on YouTube, to that effect.

The theme of the game is escapism. Everyone of us is running away from our own realities but eventually you have to kneel down to them. The only way to escape them is to face them. In the game, Henry was running away from guilt, Delilah was running away from blame and Ned was running away from tragedy and accusations. Eventually, Nature in the form of a huge fire, drives them back to their realities. That's life. You can also dub it as Karma, getting back at you,
      Bro forever :brofist: ,
      SB
    • Duke wrote:

I think the game had a good ending. Not a masterpiece of modern story telling. But not too bad of an ending.I mean firewatch on itself is a very simple story:A man with a problem isolates himself , in his isolation he meets people, there's a mystery, he solves the mystery , people feel better, end.
      Agreed.

It was a good game because it was so simple and grounded. It could happen to anybody.