Real Talk: Depression how do you handle it?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• Real Talk: Depression how do you handle it?

Hey to all the bro's on the site.
      I've talked about Depression in the past, but never on these forums.
      I myself am a person who struggles with a case of depression. No, not a case of the "Mondays" or the "sads".
      From all the bro's on this site, I'm sure some are or have had dealt with depression.

Not only would I like to make this a place where people can share their stories, but also leave tips for others who are dealing with depression.
      I've been fighting depression for a better part of a year now, and I've had ups and downs. And sometimes even a fallback, which nobody wants.

I'd like to leave some tips, but remember, these are for me still a work in progress too.

I forced myself to do small and simple tasks, it might seem stupid to you, but I believe that if you complete even the smallest task, that you do get a small feeling of accomplishment. And I do bigger and bigger tasks slowly and steady, and it does feel more and more rewarding.

Talking, is an amazing thing. Either your parents/friends/family or even a suicide/depression help line can help.
      Talking really is a MUST imho.

Seeking help: In my case, it was that bad that I had to seek out help. And I got help, and for me it does feel good to know others are actually there trained, and trying to help you.

Hobbies: Hobbies are a perfect way to release some stress. Either it be sports, arts and crafts or even filming. IF you have NO hobbies or no distractions, you'll keep on feeling worse and worse, because you only concentrate on how shitty you are feeling. So, picking up a hobby could relieve some stress.

If I can think of other things that I wanted to add, I'll edit my page.

If any of you bros have tips and stories you want to share, feel free.
      *If this is posted in the wrong section of the forum, could you please move it to the correct one? Thank you.
      Want to know more about me? Ask me! :D
    • I am a person that is very self conscious so when I make mistakes they really hit me morally and I fall in something that I consider depression similar I usually try thinking on my parents and the few people that genuinely consider me a friend and I want to be there for them when they need me and that is how I always keep myself going , but for the depression itself I don´t really have an answer I am new to this thing. Like I always have had really bad changes of mood triggered by sometimes insignificant stuff like a simple commentary that sounded rude but my brain dug way to into it triggering some sort of "snowball effect" since I have been like that since for ever I never thought of that as strange but recently I have started to question if its some sort of similar state to depression. I dont really know what to do when that happens it just hits me hard, specially when the ones getting mad at me are my parents or the people I consider real friends I just feel a sense of worthlessness when I get the idea that I disappointed them......it all started hard in Elementary because my teachers always told me I was a distraction and I was a burden to the entire class (those hit me hard) and after a few years near the end of elementary everyone started telling me the same and it affected me so after that In middle school I changed it a bit, I tried to become someone that helped people on class but people also answered the same so now in Highschool I started well but I think I am repeating the same process I dont want to repeat history but for some reason I always end up annoying people.......gladly some people here have a higher resistance to that sort of things and I am also not being fully myself because communication limitations XD
      <3 Life Loves you <3

The post was edited 1 time, last by Metal-Warrior ().

• I've probably faced depression and hit ground bottom a few times, maybe just not to the point that I would say that it's depression. But we're all here to help each other, so here's some of my experiences and what I think could help some people.

1. Talking (Alternative to keeping a journal)

It definitely helps if there's someone you can talk to about your insecurities and problems, cos' it'll help you with clearing your head and getting a better outlook on things. Maybe sometimes you'll feel like you're bothering people when you vent about things on and on, but having a friend/family member you can trust and baring yourself to him/her can help get you out of your head and yourself answer some of the questions that linger in your mind. Don't worry about troubling them or anything, I'm sure they would be glad to give a listening ear and help you in any way they can, for they love and care about you.

If you feel like that there's no one you can talk to, you can come over to Brochat, talk to some of the regulars there or hit me up on my wall. I'd be glad to help.

Or you could seek help with a counsellor in your school or therapist. They're both professionals, experienced and third parties, who can give insight to your thought process and learning more about yourself as a person. You may even embrace the hidden good qualities in yourself afterwards. (In my experience, I did.)

And why I label this as an alternative to keeping a journal/private twitter,

Display Spoiler
      Been there, done that

It's because it doesn't help me much in my own experience. I need the knowledge that someone knows what's going on and that I've been heard. If keeping a journal helps you, that's great for you. But if it doesn't, you should probably rant to someone and possibly get the same comfort like I did.

2. Listening

Sometimes listening to your friends, or anyone for that matter, talk about their day and etc, will help you shift focus to someone else's day and it dissolves the cloud around your head, allowing yourself to step out of it and maybe look back, realize that everything's going to be alright.

3. Don't just sit there

That just leaves you in the same space and your thoughts revolve around this matter which could possibly leave you in a worse state later on. Do something. Drawing, writing, playing games, running, doing homework and many more (hobbies basically) can relieve stress and help keep your mind off things. You can come back to it later and maybe you can look at it in a slightly different way. Colouring books are also trending as of late, so maybe you could look into that.

4. TL;DR

These experiences helped me realize there's much more to life and myself than just the problems I kept thinking about and it helped me discover my worth in this world as well as how much my friends and family care about me (Little did I know). I hope these help, or anything for that regard. I wish you all the best and have a good day.
    • Display Spoiler

Metal-Warrior wrote:

I am a person that is very self conscious so when I make mistakes they really hit me morally and I fall in something that I consider depression similar I usually try thinking on my parents and the few people that genuinely consider me a friend and I want to be there for them when they need me and that is how I always keep myself going , but for the depression itself I don´t really have an answer I am new to this thing. Like I always have had really bad changes of mood triggered by sometimes insignificant stuff like a simple commentary that sounded rude but my brain dug way to into it triggering some sort of "snowball effect" since I have been like that since for ever I never thought of that as strange but recently I have started to question if its some sort of similar state to depression. I dont really know what to do when that happens it just hits me hard, specially when the ones getting mad at me are my parents or the people I consider real friends I just feel a sense of worthlessness when I get the idea that I disappointed them......it all started hard in Elementary because my teachers always told me I was a distraction and I was a burden to the entire class (those hit me hard) and after a few years near the end of elementary everyone started telling me the same and it affected me so after that In middle school I changed it a bit, I tried to become someone that helped people on class but people also answered the same so now in Highschool I started well but I think I am repeating the same process I dont want to repeat history but for some reason I always end up annoying people.......gladly some people here have a higher resistance to that sort of things and I am also not being fully myself because communication limitations XD

I want to thank you for sharing your story, it actually hits close for me personally because, I see A LOT of myself in your story.
      From what I get, is that when people are negative towards you (unknowns) it doesn't really hurt you that much. But when people you really care for and/or Authority figures start being negative, that it affects you alot. I truly get what you mean with that. I really suggest talking about your feelings with someone you really trust. Even if you are not in a depression, it's good to talk about how you feel every once in a while. If you hold everything in, because you might be afraid what others think, you'll never really be able to let some things go. At least in my case, we are all different people ofcourse, but you seem like a very caring person and the most difficult part is to let others care for you. Thank you again for sharing your story.
      Display Spoiler

Rae wrote:

I've probably faced depression and hit ground bottom a few times, maybe just not to the point that I would say that it's depression. But we're all here to help each other, so here's some of my experiences and what I think could help some people.

1. Talking (Alternative to keeping a journal)

It definitely helps if there's someone you can talk to about your insecurities and problems, cos' it'll help you with clearing your head and getting a better outlook on things. Maybe sometimes you'll feel like you're bothering people when you vent about things on and on, but having a friend/family member you can trust and baring yourself to him/her can help get you out of your head and yourself answer some of the questions that linger in your mind. Don't worry about troubling them or anything, I'm sure they would be glad to give a listening ear and help you in any way they can, for they love and care about you.

If you feel like that there's no one you can talk to, you can come over to Brochat, talk to some of the regulars there or hit me up on my wall. I'd be glad to help.

Or you could seek help with a counsellor in your school or therapist. They're both professionals, experienced and third parties, who can give insight to your thought process and learning more about yourself as a person. You may even embrace the hidden good qualities in yourself afterwards. (In my experience, I did.)

And why I label this as an alternative to keeping a journal/private twitter,

Display Spoiler
      Been there, done that

It's because it doesn't help me much in my own experience. I need the knowledge that someone knows what's going on and that I've been heard. If keeping a journal helps you, that's great for you. But if it doesn't, you should probably rant to someone and possibly get the same comfort like I did.

2. Listening

Sometimes listening to your friends, or anyone for that matter, talk about their day and etc, will help you shift focus to someone else's day and it dissolves the cloud around your head, allowing yourself to step out of it and maybe look back, realize that everything's going to be alright.

3. Don't just sit there

That just leaves you in the same space and your thoughts revolve around this matter which could possibly leave you in a worse state later on. Do something. Drawing, writing, playing games, running, doing homework and many more (hobbies basically) can relieve stress and help keep your mind off things. You can come back to it later and maybe you can look at it in a slightly different way. Colouring books are also trending as of late, so maybe you could look into that.

4. TL;DR

These experiences helped me realize there's much more to life and myself than just the problems I kept thinking about and it helped me discover my worth in this world as well as how much my friends and family care about me (Little did I know). I hope these help, or anything for that regard. I wish you all the best and have a good day.

You added more details to some of my things, which I really am happy you did. There are some things that actually got me thinking, so thank you so much for helping not only me, but potentially others, because I'm sure these are really good tips for those who struggle or starting the struggle. I just wished I have known these things from the beginning, but yet again, depression sneaks up on you, and most people who deal with depression don't even know it.
    • To be honest, I didn't notice that our tips were similar till you pointed it out. xD
      But yeah, thanks for starting up this thread.

It's also been a while since I've seen my therapist friend. And this gave me a chance to reflect back on the past few months.
      Hope things are going great for you now and in more days to come~
    • Yooooo :P

Iam here obviously to lend in my helping hand to deal with depression.

Note:My ways I brought up by analysing what I did wrong and should have done,and mistakes are still being made but that's life you know ^~^.

Well I've yeah a visually had Le depression and yeah it's pretty crap,but hey it happens,that's just life.
      Depression is something I've grown up with when I was 7 and I made it so much worse each year.
      How? Because I kept everything to myself as I didn't want it to disturb others and create more problems for everyone around me, so I bottled it all up to myself.Well since I've gone older the relief of venting it all out can surely make you feel a lot better than usual.

Now how I deal with it I just totally forget it all,well not really I just accept it all and move on.To become strong you must let nothing hold you back and just strive forward.If your sulking for help help yourself and do something instead of being one of those people that just keep complaining as it gets you no where but leads you further into the deep end.

Being depressed isn't always such an easy thing to hide so don't hide it and cover up with the mask.It's like changing your identity and when it comes time you don't know why people aren't accepting you and you try figuring out who you really are,the mask blinds you and you can no longer see much of that reflection.A way I strayed away from that was through positivity and friends as they can bring out the happyness of you in the darkest light and are always there.

Also hearing out other people's problems is also helpful as you feel a slight relief that there is someone you can relate to and overcome the issue together and have support from someone that really knows how it feels like.

Hue this is my odd tips in a way and if there are many mistakes its early while Iam typing this CX hope things go well for you all ^~^
      cake <3
    • Display Spoiler

Rae wrote:

To be honest, I didn't notice that our tips were similar till you pointed it out. xD
      But yeah, thanks for starting up this thread.

It's also been a while since I've seen my therapist friend. And this gave me a chance to reflect back on the past few months.
      Hope things are going great for you now and in more days to come~

No problem. You filled in the things that made it more elaborate :). I'm also seeing a therapist, and to be honest. Those guys really are friendly and nice. People always think that therapists are sitting there, silently. judging you. But in reality they are very down to earth people.
      Display Spoiler

Isaiah Kun wrote:

Yooooo :P

Iam here obviously to lend in my helping hand to deal with depression.

Note:My ways I brought up by analysing what I did wrong and should have done,and mistakes are still being made but that's life you know ^~^.

Well I've yeah a visually had Le depression and yeah it's pretty crap,but hey it happens,that's just life.
      Depression is something I've grown up with when I was 7 and I made it so much worse each year.
      How? Because I kept everything to myself as I didn't want it to disturb others and create more problems for everyone around me, so I bottled it all up to myself.Well since I've gone older the relief of venting it all out can surely make you feel a lot better than usual.

Now how I deal with it I just totally forget it all,well not really I just accept it all and move on.To become strong you must let nothing hold you back and just strive forward.If your sulking for help help yourself and do something instead of being one of those people that just keep complaining as it gets you no where but leads you further into the deep end.

Being depressed isn't always such an easy thing to hide so don't hide it and cover up with the mask.It's like changing your identity and when it comes time you don't know why people aren't accepting you and you try figuring out who you really are,the mask blinds you and you can no longer see much of that reflection.A way I strayed away from that was through positivity and friends as they can bring out the happyness of you in the darkest light and are always there.

Also hearing out other people's problems is also helpful as you feel a slight relief that there is someone you can relate to and overcome the issue together and have support from someone that really knows how it feels like.

Hue this is my odd tips in a way and if there are many mistakes its early while Iam typing this CX hope things go well for you all ^~^

"instead of being one of those people that just keep complaining as it gets you no where"
      I'm not going to lie, I've been that for the longest time. I was the type of person, that would complain but not take any action. Glad I did. And I think some people rather complain than take action, either because they are stubborn, or because of pride. Or simply because they are scared of change. Not all change is bad.

I personally had a relationship at the time, and when I was in the most darkest time, they ended the relationship after years and years. And for some, that might trigger even worse depression, or even suicidal thoughts. I always thought that I'd fall even deeper. But once the relationship was over, I definitly hit Rock bottom. And, I thought to myself: "Okay, This is rock bottom. It ain't that comfy." And I fight even harder now to find happiness again, to be proud of myself.

So, for the ones who feel like they hit rock bottom. It's only going to get better. Fight for it.
    • To be honest, I've had depression since I was 6 years old. Started with bullying over a speech implement (particularly with words that begin with W, S or R), and then it progressed because of size and weight. It's funny how cruel kids can be at school, but that's nothing compared to the adults that always seem to pipe up with "Oh, your mom failed you" or "lose weight, fatty". When I was 9, I lost my gran to cancer, and that added to the feelings of worthlessness that have risen over those short years. Secretly, I hoped that moving up from primary school to secondary school where my bro and sis were would be a lot easier.
      I was wrong. So, so wrong. During the first year, I was constantly bullied because I had a fear of loud noises (school bells, thunder, doors slamming etc). It was funny for the rest of the year, but it only added to my anxiety (diagnosed in the summer of 2009) and depression. The second year was alright, except I became violent and started to get into fights. Yeah, it was not great at all. The third year was the better of the school years until horrible rumors set off the depression again. At that point, I turned to music and my then partner to help me get over the shit that happened during primary school and the first two years of secondary school. Didn't really work out as my partner was a bit... abusive with his words, shall we say. During that summer, my mom told me she was making me move school because she thought I would succeed better at a school closer to home. Fast forward to the exam stage, and everything seemed like it was going to be good. Got okay grades, into a good college course and everything was great. I didn't know I was going to lose someone I used to be so close with. I lost another family member to cancer before the Christmas of 2014. It was a bit of a rough time, as I had to step away from acting and go back to music. The loss also made me realize I needed to re-evaluate life.

Fast forward to now, and it's still shaky every now and again. The only real thing that's been helping me cope with depression is creating music/writing. It's a great stress reliever if you can't really talk to anyone about it. So yeah

TL;DR I have depression caused by bullies, family losses and a few abusive relationships.
      I'd rather live with broken bones than lay here all on my own like a lovesick fool.

If you need me, visit my about me section on my profile for my skype contact.
    • So many great awesome tips and ideas in this thread!
      Ive never gone through any deep depression, but Ive seen others and its sucks. Something that have helped me a lot when I've felt down, is to activate myself. Im definitely not a expert at this, but theres a ton of awesome positive things happening in our body by just taking a walk or working out, and to set up new goals and reach them, is one of the greatest achievement Ive ever experienced. You feel awesome about yourself, and I think loving yourself is a great step in the right direction

Hang in there fellow bros :)
      Chipsflickan's YouTube Channel (I promise it's worth a look)
    • Well, it all depends on what we're talking about; feeling bad or actually being depressed(called the major depressive disorder).

If we're talking about feeling bad, then there is a lot of things you can actually do. Entertain yourself with the things you love, talk to the people you love, or try to remind you of the good parts in life. Now this might seem very logical and will not always be of help. But remember; you live your life, just your life, for yourself. You want to become happy. Most people are unhappy, because of other people; they might get bullied, or other people treat them badly. I get that; it's normal to think or feel that what others think, is important. We all want to fit in somehow, even if we say we don't want to. Remember; live your life for yourself. Love the people you want to love. Take the path you can and want to take, even if it's not the simple route. I will also suggest talking to a professional about this, which I think every human being should do at least once in their lifetime.

If you have a major depressive disorder, you've been officially diagnosed by a psychologist and/or a psychiatrist. Depression can be triggered by hormones, a biological differences, the neurotransmitters in your brains or inherited traits. There are a lot of symptons for this which you have to meet, like thoughts of suicide, feeling worthless, insomnia, loss of energy, no pleasure in any activity and many more. If you feel like you correspond with the list(you can google the full list if you want), I suggest talking to a professional. You'd most likely get anti-depressant meds and therapy to help you, which can really work. Your depression will never truly go away, but you can learn to live with it and even feel happy in life.

There are a lot of forms when it comes to depression. But what it really means in general, is that it's not something you can 'snap out of it'. It's not just 'feeling bad'. Depression is a psychological (sometimes also a medical problem) which really affects your daily life. Talk to a doctor about it, or your school counselor. Don't be afraid to reach out, and you will get the opportunity to feel better.

I hope I haven't insulted anyone with this story; i
      Visit my YouTube channel TerrionGaming !!
    • I have many ways to deal with depression. Here's my list. cx
      • Listen to cheery music
      • Watch Youtube videos
      • Talk to my boyfriend/one of my best friends/someone I trust about my depression
      • Search up cute pics (ex. David Tennant, Matt Smith, Brendon Urie, cute anime guys, etc.)
      • Play PC or mobile games
      If any of my friends need someone to talk to, I'm always here for them. I guess I could say the same for you guys. If y'all need someone to talk to, I'll always be here to lend a shoulder or ear to listen to. :)
    • Hello!

I have had to live with depression since I was a small child. It has never been easy for me especially since I personally stopped taking medication in highschool for it because I hated the fake happiness more than the depression. I've always tried to find various outlets for my depression but I think I finally hit the nail on the head when I started doing YouTube videos. Making the videos just takes so much time that I do not have a chance to be sad because I stay so busy and when I am not making videos I am meeting all sorts of new people on Twitter who have really been helping to keep my head above water. The Lets Play community is a really amazing group of people when you get to know them all.
    • This feels like a thread my two cents thrown in could help someone, or could just be something for me to type away on while the laptop takes forever converting this video, anyway time for some real talk. Another wonderful essay by me..

Every single day to me feels fake. I do not actually feel like I am alive, it is like a haze. I feel a kind of heaviness to everything I do. I have come to assume that this is depression. This feeling I live with is like being in a movie, but where you can feel gravity pressing down on you, where things feel artificial at all time, and where nothing you do really works out. I am not a young kid either, so this is not a new thing brought on by trends or just teenage hormones. In fact ever since 2012 when i graduated high school i really have noticed this and started living with it. The only class that I got an A in was psychology, probably due to my psychopathic ways, but this is about depression not that. I bring this up only because I know what talking to a professional will do, and it will not help my case, this isn't something that can just go away. This feeling I feel is like some kind of hell, and even typing this out much like my other posts I do not expect it to do anything, but this is not about my problems, this is about how to overcome.

I force it, that's how. I don't take that crap from my feelings, and I push through it because I know how powerful the brain is. If you really meditated on it you could move mountains with no force, so when you truly think deeply about it you can overcome anything. I do not do drugs or drink because that temporary happiness actually gives me some type of past happy hangover where i feel even worse the next day, so that is not the solution. The only thing you can do is know that you can do it. Believe in your self like Naruto did in his ninja self and you can kick the barrel right off of any negative feelings. Deep down you can feel sad, but if you push it and force it it doesn't matter. If you have to go down, go down swinging. I hate my life, but I refuse to quit, this is my ninja way, never giving up. In many ways I too am like Naruto. I use that reference a lot just because it is such a strong and easy to imagine example.

In conclusion, YOU have the power locked within that brain of yours, set your mind to freedom and break those chains that bind you.
      Hope this helps, no one cares normally about what I do in my average life, but on the off chance that it does spark a fire within you I figure I would try.
      -drops mic-
      #breaktheloadscreen
    • Ok I recently got a girlfriend and I have noticed that most of my social worries have just vanished, why because if someone liked me that means that I can be liked and even if me and my Girlfriend break up one day, I will always have a special place in my heart for her as the first person who opened my eyes......so my advice now might just be, dont worry even if you dont know or you may not think, you are special and nobody can replace you because nobody can be a better you then you, only you ^^
      <3 Life Loves you <3