Real Talk: Depression how do you handle it?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• Loading Screen Hooligans wrote:

In conclusion, YOU have the power locked within that brain of yours, set your mind to freedom and break those chains that bind you.
      Hope this helps, no one cares normally about what I do in my average life, but on the off chance that it does spark a fire within you I figure I would try.
      -drops mic-
      It isn't as easy as that. Depression isn't just psychological; a lot of people have medical depression as well. Even with the biggest willpower of the world, they cannot escape depression. They need medicines for this, to make up for the lack of dopamine in their brain (for instance). Saying you have the power might work if you just have 'the blues' or just have a shitty time in your life, but not in the case of medical depression.
      Visit my YouTube channel TerrionGaming !!
    • You see it is possibly the whole mind over matter approach but you dont end up feeling well and or solving any problem you are just ignoring the big problem, and like Terr said depression is also a chemical reaction so it impossible to have it under control with just determination, you also need actions that boost up the substance that kind of counters depression (totally forgot the name at the moment)
      <3 Life Loves you <3
    • When it comes to a mental illness like this, some things should be taken into consideration as everyone's depression is "unique" to some degree. Some people who suffer with depression can appear to have a lot of happiness around people, both online and in the real life world, but then can just let all of their feelings overtake their thought process when it's late at night. Other people tend to try and be happy, but then break at the first mention of "are you okay" or "is something wrong". In other cases, the rest of the people might feel like both of these analysis's on a regular basis. When it comes to depression, there is no set route with it. Nor is there a rule saying that "Anyone with depression must act like their life is crap 24/7", as some people around the world have been taught to believe by the media and possibly their parents.

Talking about medicine, the most common medicine that is prescribed is mainly given if the doctor believes you are low on dopamine. However, this might not work for everyone with depression, as this is an illness (along with all of the other mental illnesses based on what I learned) that is unique to the individual person. Some people don't take the meds prescribed because the meds aren't helping them, or their doctor might have thought that they were just "down in the dumps".

This is all stuff I wanted to add to my op on this thread, but decided to post again because why not? It needed to be said/corrected by people who might know more. This lil section is just what I believe/learned whilst studying mental illness patterns a while ago.
      I'd rather live with broken bones than lay here all on my own like a lovesick fool.

If you need me, visit my about me section on my profile for my skype contact.
    • Honestly, there is no immediate solution for depression.
      The best thing to do and the hardest thing to do when your depressed is not to dwell on the cause.
      The next best thing to do and the hardest thing to do is divert you attention.
      Watch Poods do crazy shit, for an instance.

But then, don't worry.
      Everyone gets over depression eventually. I did. The guy next door did. Your grandpa did it. Probably you offspring would do it.
      If you still can't. Contact me, I'll preach. ;)
      Bro forever :brofist: ,
      SB
    • Depression isn't something you can "get over". It takes a long time for a person to feel stable again. Even when they feel stable, they can relapse and go back to the state they were in.
      I'd rather live with broken bones than lay here all on my own like a lovesick fool.

• I am aware that there are many different types of depression and are caused by different events. What kept depressing me was self-loathing, so I feel like I can shed some light on how to keep that particular type of depression at bay.

One thing that kept happening to me was that as soon as I started to feel better about myself or finally get out of the perpetual state of depression that I seemed to be trapped in, someone came along and kicked me right back into that pit of self-hatred.

Here are some things that helped me get past it:
      - Making a list of the things you are good at.
      - Surrounding yourself with friends and family that help boost your self-esteem/confidence/etc.
      What not to do:
      - Never EVER bottle it up. I did that for 18 years and in certain situations I can put a hole in a wall without realizing I'm even that angry.
      - Do get stuck in a pattern. Accelerate your life, find something you love to do and do it no matter what anyone else says.
      Ultimately, talk it out and find someone to help you through whatever rough time you're going through.
      You are not alone.
      "I, (state name of enlistee), do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."
    • Hello there!
      What I'm doing is exactly this:
      1.Take my medicine
      2.Surround myself with happiness (Family,pets,art,video games,etc.)
      3.Use my coping skills (singing,drawing,reciting tv show lines,etc.)
      4.Remind myself I'm going to get through this,even though it's tough
      5.Pray
      6.Distract myself from it,make myself forget I'm actually depressed
      7.Fake it till I make it (smile and laugh)
    • Know that you ALWAYS have someone to lean back on. No matter what direction you fall, even if its not someone you know well, someone out there cares about you. Please never forget that. And hey if you need help I am ALWAYS here. (Honestly its scary how much I am on this site...)

-If you need a friend to talk to just PUNCH me a message X3
    • MLG TURTLE wrote:

I don't handle it I'm always super busy so I never have time to be depressed
      Take it from me, bro.

As a sufferer of depression for a long time, being busy only takes my mind off my problems for only a short amount of time. Heck, it even sometimes ruins the plans I made once I start that list. Whilst being busy is a great way to escape, it is not a continuous breath of relief as there are points where a person with depression will have to stop (ie, at night). It's often during these times that any person with depression can break down completely.