What Happened to PewDiePie?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• What Happened to PewDiePie?

Hello bros. First of all, I have to place an obligatory disclaimer here: I'm not posting here because I hate PewDiePie. Quite the contrary actually. I've been a huge fan/bro of his videos since 2012 and I'm very happy to see how massive he's grown throughout the years. If I were a hater, I wouldn't even be bothered posting this in the first place, so I hope no one will misunderstand my intention.

So with that disclaimer aside, here we go.

I notice that he hasn't been posting proper gaming videos on his channel as of late, and by "proper" I mean a "Let's Play". Not saying the short games that he's playing are not proper games, but you know what I mean. I notice that he's been doing these short plotless free games, drawing videos, challenges, videos shading other YouTubers, and other things not related to 'gaming'. He doesn't even put effort on making his thumbnails anymore. (see picture below)

Again, I'm NOT posting this to hate on him because of the cliché "he's changed" complaint. I'm NOT here to whine about how "He's changed! He's not the same PewDiePie anymore! I prefer the old PewDiePie! Bring back the old PewDiePie!" No. I'm posting this here because I genuinely want to know the reason why his channel has taken this direction. I love Pewd's videos, I love how he's made and published his own book and how he's grown into something more than just a gaming YouTuber. However, in the end, my selfish self still wishes to enjoy the long Let's Plays that made me fall in love with his channel in the first place.

Just wanted to voice out what's been on my mind. I hope you bros won't take this the wrong way. Anyway, thank you for reading :)
    • I've noticed the same, its weird but i think that he may enjoy doing those kind of videos (more short and full of jokes) because they are more funny for ALL the people, cause we now that nit everyone haves the same though of something.
      Anyway, i think that maybe he is just focusing in getting more attention as a youtuber or he just likes more doing those kind of videos. Anyway i still have a great time watching his videos so...yeah hope it helps :)
    • There can be many reasons for there being the above mentioned changes in his content and presentation but it wouldn't be right to complain. He came into our world and made it a better place. He has done more for us than some people we know personally. Enjoy the fact that he isn't leaving YouTube completely. Glass half full right?
    • U know... People have work, school and a lot of things to do and when they have time, they want to play some games or just watch funny videos on YT. If u don't have time for like 15-30 minutes episodes, u can just watch shorter and funnier ones. + He is a human too and he actually gives us his own time. Even if video is like 4 minutes length he recorded it way longer than that + he needed to do montage.
    • I think the post is a fair observation but the replies explain it pretty well. I have such a wide audience now that the best way to make everyone happy is to post shorter and more one off type videos. Its something I enjoy a lot doing as well.

BUT

I miss doing full playthroughs and Im definetly going to start doing those again.
    • I was noticing that too. I understand that with all the crazy things on his plate lately, Felix must be a very busy man. One thing I can respect is that even if he isn't putting out the videos that I may like best, he is still putting out content. Plus he has said he likes editing and these short videos give him a chance to do a lot of quirky effects.

One thing I do like is the "Uncut in the Butt" style videos from him. They're silly but they feel very raw and real. With such a wide audience, they might not hold as good of a retention for him as the quick videos, but I'd love to see them continue down the road.
      4270+ Subs and Counting - Let's Plays | ASMR | Vlogs
      I publish a video daily.
      Not going to give up.
      Not going to stop.
      1 Million Subs here I come!

My Channel
    • Another disclaimer before you bros read my response(s): When I type down words instead of speaking them, I tend to appear passive aggressive even though I honestly don't mean to. Therefore I have to apologise beforehand. Please don't get offended by what I'm about to say

@ AldoraK:
      I see... You have a good point there. I never thought about the majority of the new audience preferring short games to long ones :thumbup:

@ Rishabh
      This is why I had to put a disclaimer in my post haha. I never said that I wasn't grateful that Pewds is still making videos. I simply wanted to know why he hasn't been playing long let's plays as of late. I think posting something about this is not equal to complaining. Think of it like when you see your friend wearing a ridiculous outfit to go to a job interview and he asks you: "Hey how do I look?" I think it's best to answer honestly with something like: "That outfit doesn't suit you that much, mate." instead of sugarcoating things. Just because I was being frank in my original post doesn't mean I see the glass half empty.

@ LeeLeePichu
      I don't mean to offend you, but I honestly don't understand the point you're making. I'm aware of how difficult it actually takes to record a 5 minutes video and I know that Pewds is human and has a life of his own - I never stated otherwise. I was not complaining that he's not making enough videos (since he clearly makes more than what the average YouTubers make), I was simply wondering about the content of the video. I don't see the relation between my post and your response. Again, no offense, just genuinely wondering.

@ PewDiePie
      Thank you for taking the time reading and responding to this, Pewds. I didn't think that you would even see this, so I'm glad that you did. Anyway, I can understand your reason now and I'm happy to know that you're planning to make more lengthy let's-plays again in the future. I'll be patiently waiting for that. In the mean time, good luck with all your work. Hopefully everything goes well for you. And thanks for being mature and not getting butthurt over my post haha.

@Shadowhelm
      Agree with what you said mate :thumbup:

@MissFushi
      Yup yup :thumbup:

Thank you again for taking the time to respond to my post, everyone :)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Raffee ().

• Raffee wrote:

@ LeeLeePichu

I don't mean to offend you, but I honestly don't understand the point you're making. I'm aware of how difficult it actually takes to record a 5 minutes video and I know that Pewds is human and has a life of his own - I never stated otherwise. I was not complaining that he's not making enough videos (since he clearly makes more than what the average YouTubers make), I was simply wondering about the content of the video. I don't see the relation between my post and your response. Again, no offense, just genuinely wondering.
      I think we can ignore part about montage and time. It was just my own opinion too as in other parts of YT I know people that actually doesn't understand that there's other live too for youtubers. So I am pretty wont to write this. Sorry.
    • You know, I haven't had an issue with any "non-gameplay" videos at all. I'm entertained by a lot of what Pewds does, and I feel that's exactly what people want when you see one of his videos. No matter what, I feel you have to give him credit for putting a video out a day and other than the "uncut" stuff, he's still editing these videos to a T. When you're trying to entertain every day there are going to be people who love or hate no matter what you do.

I totally understand your points and meet your bow with a curtsy... . .
    • @LeeLeePichu
      No worries man. Thank for responding in the first place :thumbup:

@gamer_rye
      Haha to be honest, I didn't even know about that before reading your post. Even if I did, I wouldn't care because what people do outside their work is none of my business. I'm on YouTube to enjoy YouTube videos, not to judge the people behind the screen for what they do or don't do in their everyday life.

@WixspinGaming
      Yeah, I can see that many people still enjoy what he makes. Some people do, some people don't, and like you said, it's impossible to please everyone. I just miss his more lengthy let's plays, that's all :thumbup: Oh but I'm honestly still wondering about the weird new thumbnail styles though.

@Spyder1246
      I'm with you on this one, mate :D

The post was edited 1 time, last by Raffee ().

• I don't really have any preferences to both the "old" and "new" Pewds. I still enjoy what he posts, and to me, that's the important part. But I do get where you're going with this as it has happened to some YouTubers. I guess you can say they're trying to appeal to the newer audience but at the same time, have their older audience to join in the fun without leaving them behind.

However, I'm happy to watch a chill, unedited, uncut video once in a while. I don't mind the fancy edits, as long as the video is still enjoyable to watch. Plus, less work for Pewds equals to happier Pewds! :D
    • Ive notice the exact same things as you @Raffee mentioned, and I do agree! :)
      I've been watcing Felix for a long time, and knowing how long he has been around, I
      definitely think he should play around and try new things if he feels so. Since I like his style and type of
      humor I watch regardless of what he decides to upload. To be honest, Im glad Felix haven't done the decision of
      making another channel for vlogs and non gaming videos.

That being said, I miss the LP's a lot! I just cannot wait for Outlast 2 to get released! :D

@TheAimGames Totally agree on you man! As long as he's happy :D
      Chipsflickan's YouTube Channel (I promise it's worth a look)
    • Apologies for double posting, but as my final post to this thread, I want to inform anyone that might be reading this that after watching PewDiePie's latest videos, I think I've gotten my question answered.

First is in his 2nd Undertale playthrough at around 33:15 (Click here to watch)
      Second in his latest Top 10 Comments I Hate video, at the end of the vid (Click here to watch)

No, the answers were obviously not targeted to this thread specifically, but still. I'm very satisfied to know his detailed reasons for not playing long play-throughs as of late. Thanks for clarifying once again, PewDiePie.

If any of you think I have too much free time because of this, well that's just what I do during my free time - watching Pewds' videos lol.

Peace out.