Glorification of Illnesses/Syndromes

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• Glorification of Illnesses/Syndromes

Hey.

I'm here to talk about something I've noticed happening in the internet as well as in real life.

You guys probably don't know (hopefully, or else you stalk meh way to much) that I have some issues in my brain.

Specifically, OCD, anxiety attacks, and a phobia of broken glass (and I used to have somniphobia; more on that later)

All of these diagnosis were made by a professional. This is not self-diagnosis BS.

First, I want to clear up that OCD doesn't necessarily involve symmetry. In my case, it involves touching thing "wrong" and having to touch them more times or more frequently having to "even out" and though the thing with the other side of my body. OCD is not cool, and I see now it has become a trend. Now, I don't suffer too much, but many people suffer a lot and sometimes these people that pretend having it get in the way of the people that actually have it.

Ah, anxiety attacks. This is a story for you:

When I was 14, I was talking to my friend about the attacks I had. My friend told me he had that too, and that he had those before tests or when studying. I knew him well, so I knew at that spot he was lying and that he just was nervous, like most people. Anyways, I stayed with my mouth shut, and two weeks later, I got the real deal. I asked him to call someone from my family, but he took it as a joke, or just thought I was just nervous. I pleaded him to call my family, and he just laughed. Needless to say I was very hesitant to pardon him.

So yeah. People think anxiety attacks are something they are not. People are even glorifying it, on the internet, and that's ridiculous, since that's the third worst feeling I ever felt. I'll get to number 1 later.

Story number 2:

I was 12. I was just swimming around at a local pool, and then my friend called me over to a section of the pool. Now this section is separated from the other by a huge sheet of glass, acting as a wall. My sister wanted to come, but I told her to leave, since it was private. My sister, mad, and only 8 (she didn't realize), threw a rock at the glass. And I think you know what happened next. Fortunately I escaped without hurting myself, but it was traumatizing to see the glass break in my front. And I was even more scared later when my doctor told me the chance of me escaping without a mark was about 5 percent, and leaving without dying 20-30 percent. My friend swam away a bit later then me. He was hospitalized.

Two weeks later, my friends gets a glass cup and drops it on the floor, braking it. I cringe and run away. And for 3 weeks, my friends terrorize me with broken glass, not knowing the seriousness of a phobia.

Story 3:

The most terrifying thing in my life was somniphobia. It is the phobia of sleeping. Every night was a pain. Every single night, I was tormented, only managing to sleep to keep alive. To not die. Eventually, I managed to recover (with the help of pills). It was utterly life destroying. People, being idiots, thought the fear of sleeping was impossible, and that I was making it up. And, trying to keep myself up (I never embraced depression, not even with this shit) I came to this site. This is why I got here in the first place. To talk. To talk.

And a week ago, a friend of a friend told me she had had insomnia when she was 14, and so she could relate to me. I had to hold my punch back.

All over the internet and the real life, you see people glorifying mental disorders, striving for anorexia (a deadly disease) and treating phobias and stuff like that as if they were only small fears created by pussies. Mostly fueled by tumblr and other social media.

You see people killing themselves and cutting because they thought their life was shit due to tumblr posts complaining about life.

I had enough of a life to tell these people to fuck off.

Let's spread the word! Let's make people aware that these things are not things you want, glorifying them is evil, and to treat people who have had a diagnosis of something like that with respect and extra care.

Let's stop the emos that spread this cancer to the world.
      Yes, I'm a dog. And I type.
      It's not that impressive when you see it in real life.
    • two things that I want to say before starting:

1-I do not consider myself to have any mental disorder

2-I know what you talk about I dont relate to it and I cant relate to it either I just know what you mean people who like to say they have stuff even when they don´t

I always have had problem with people telling stuff about how they are special even when real special people were in the same class and I have also hated people that think that mental problems are something curable with will power I am completly aware that those are heavy things that can not always be completly cured (hell I am not even tlking with knowledge I am talking with feels) and just to make it clear when I talk in public about my sleeping problems I am in no way trying to sound like I have a disorder its just that I never have had a scheduled sleeping cycle because when I was a kid I was nervous towards sleep (not as a phobia) just as a common fear of the unknown so I just want to say basically that I completly am aware of your problems even if I can relate to the lack of sleep my reasons arent heavy so I dont realy know anything and dont you ever feel like I want to compete about who has more problems because I have never considered myself as an unhealthy person so I never talk about my problems as things that I must live with just events that are pointless or meaninglesso what i am trying to say is more like a ¨i am in no way a perfect guy and I just want you to know that if I ever make you feel uncomfortable please say it to me I need constant feedback to improve myself but whatever I say I want you to know that I am here not to be a supporter or a bully or a rival just a second opinion and if you want to a friend¨
      <3 Life Loves you <3
    • i completely understand and agree in what you are saying, i dont have mental issues myself but i have family that have some, and it get to my nerves stupid people making fun of it and glorifying it, and that friend saying she had imsomnia ad can realte about fear to sleep itstotally bullshit, i have imsominia myself and it is just i cant sleep so i watch stupid shit in the internet all night but saying is as bad or almost as bad as somniphobia, come on now. well i im gald that the pills help you and yea we have to stop these preteens that say they life is crap cause their crush didnt kiss them at first sight.
      also you profile picture is kawaii as fuck
    • Well from my experience I've never seen anyone even attempt to glorify having anxiety attacks or mental disorders.Now me personally,I have emotional anxiety disorder/DPD/DMD.You can't just say that nobody should have it without it being justified in some way,that I don't agree with.Some people that you think "pretend" can sometimes be people who are actually scared of what they are going through and don't know how else to get their anxiety to simmer down.It's like,I have to do dangerous and risky stuff like drinking and smoking in order for my anxiety to pipe down.Maybe your friend had it and he was embarrassed to tell you because he didn't want you to think any different of him or anything.I know that's really hypocritical of me to say from your standpoint,but anxiety alters your mindset and makes you think in so many different ways when you're suffering that often times,the ideas or thoughts or emotions you think of contradict themselves.Now,I will agree with the stereotyping of disorders,that is wrong and not everyone is a textbook case of OCD or Anxiety or DMD or DPD or whatever it is that you live with mentally.Sometimes,you just gotta learn to manage yourself and let karma work her magic on the people that attempt to draw any attention away from the people who really are indeed faking it because believe me,there are people who fake it and I hate that.You're obviously very educated and the people who kick and scream and self diagnose and fake,well,this is what they want you to do because believe it or not,this is drawing more attention to them indirectly and they FEED off of posts like this.You know what's right and what's wrong hunnybunny ;D You are the bestestestest everdoodles!!!