HOW TO: SURVIVE IN SURVIVAL GAMES.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• Once you figure out what you're doing in DayZ its cool, but for new players I can understand why they get frustrated and quit playing. There are a lot of bugs still but you learn how to handle them and move on. All in all DayZ isn't for everyone :D
    • Dayz and Stomping lands are big scams... Rust at least is a game where the devs are really working on it, every week they post devblogs with a lot of new updates, fixes, improvements...

And i loved how you showed what a piece of shit Dayz and Stomping Lands are by showing those glitches and their ridiculous price, and Rust even thou it has some glitches, nowhere as much as those games have, and Rust price isn't ridiculous like those other games.

Keep up the awesome content pewds
      xoxo <3
    • Hi!

I just registered specifically to share some tips on surviving in DayZ. You asked for it Pewds!

Don't like (or hate) DayZ? Stop reading right here!

You're still here? OK! Here we go!
      If you want to skip the personal bullcrap (I'll keep it short, I promise! Just the relevant stuff!), jump to *. (Because nobody cares, right? Right!)

I'm a long time player of Bohemia Interactive games (along with my clanmates), ever since 2001, the release of Operation Flashpoint, all the way (through ArmA, ArmA 2, ArmA 2 DayZ mod) to ArmA 3 and DayZ Standalone. (This is the reason why playing DayZ Standalone gave me less difficulty than to newcomers as they use the same engine with some modifications)
      To this day, I could say these are my all time favourite games. These games gave me the best gaming experience (Wierd, huh? I knew you'd think that!) to this date. Period.

But back to the point (it wasn't that long, was it?).

Some tips for players thinking of buying DayZ Standalone.

First, don't forget to read this (!!!):
      "WARNING: THIS GAME IS EARLY ACCESS ALPHA. PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE IT UNLESS YOU WANT TO ACTIVELY SUPPORT DEVELOPMENT OF THE GAME AND ARE PREPARED TO HANDLE WITH SERIOUS ISSUES AND POSSIBLE INTERRUPTIONS OF GAME"

Then, think about the following things:
      Are you prepared to:
      • be patient? (I'm not joking!) :D
      • play a game that is completely different from other games?
      • spend hours watching tutorials (it's a really complicated game) regarding game mechanics, controls, inventory, the crappy action menu (I hate it too) etc.?
      • deal with bugs (even game breaking ones)?
      • wait years to play with the final game?
      • walk half an hour or even more to get to your desired (or undesired for that matter) location?
      • die a lot of times because of zeds, infection, blood loss, starvation, thirst, ruined food, cold, bandits, bugs?
      • watch a town from safe distance for half an hour to see if there's any activity?
      • sneak slooooooowly past zeds to get some basic surviving gear without risking close contact?
      • trying to figure out for hours where you friend(s) might be?
      • use basic knowledge of navigation (direction relative to the sun or starsigns, recognizing buildings, hills, use of a map and compass to navigate on a 120 km2 map)?
      • take part in active teamwork?
      • risk befriending bandits who will kill you as soon as you turn your back on him?

If no, don't even think about it and don't EVER look back. It's really not for everybody!
      If yes, this game might be for you.

I'd also recommend an age over 18 (I'm 26 if you care), but it's not necessary, it depends on the player.

Tips to survive in DayZ (after watching a lot of tutorials. A LOT!):
      • Get clothes, water, food, bandage(s), map and compass, weapon(s) and ammo (prioritize in that order and try to check the towns along the coast first).
      • Watch out for indications of basic needs of your avatar (don't spend too much time in water or rain, be well fed and hydrated if possible, take shelter in a house or next to a fire when cold etc. the list is just too long).
      • Take it slow and keep a low stance to avoid attention form zeds and players near towns and cities (yeah, even slower near towns. Running wild drains your energy pretty quickly)
      • If a zombie is on your tail, run through bushes and branches of trees. They will slowly lose you. Also note that they walk through walls and doors in the alpha.
      • Take friends with you whom you can trust. You will die alone. Yes. You will.
      • Use basic military tactics (bounding ovewatch, cover your friends, have a sniper in your team watching from a great distance).
      • Be afraid of bandits (hard to distinguis them from "heroes"), but if you don't have any loot, they won't hurt you necessarily.
      • When you have proper gear, be prepared to go to higher loot areas (airports, cities, military bases, basically up north).
      • Decide if you're a bandit or a "hero". Bandit means slaying or imprisoning innocents or other bandits for loot. Heroes are generally friedly and will help other friendly players (but don't think they won't shoot you if you threaten them!).
      • Keep distance from players and establish a safe way to either hunt them down or start a conservation with them. (Use of a microphone is a must in this game)
      • When you encounter players, use the F keys for gestures if you have to and lower the weapon if you want to be friendly (or if you want to pretend you are >:-D )
      • If you hear the supersonic crack of a bullet (or just a loud bang), either run like hell or take cover and be prepared to defend yourself or wait until the enemy is gone (it may take as long as half an hour)
      • Be vary of the loudness of your weapon (the sniper is called a dinner bell for a reason).

Also, I advise playing on a server without 3rd person view and with death messages off. It can really ruin the game experience and gives you and enemies unfair advantage, not to mention that you will find less serious players with these difficulty settings on.

These are just basic tips for beginners, there are way better and more thorough tutorials out there for those who're prepared to play this game.
      It takes a lot of time, it's complicated, full of bugs and you will get frustrated a lot of times.

But oh boy, do I love this game! (You may think that I'm paid to say this or I'm just really crazy, but I'm really not, sorry! And I know I'm not alone) :D