Linux in Gaming

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• Linux in Gaming

Hey there,

just wondering how many Bros are Linux Users? And what is your history/opinion of using Linux (in Gaming)?

I've been using Linux since Oct 2005, when a friend gave me an Ubuntu 5.10 Live CD. I was 14 1/2 years old back then.
      I was pretty much pissed by the fact that I couldn't run any Windows programs/games and stopped using it after a week or two.

Then I found myself a Linux guru, who educated me in Linux in 2006. I started using virtual servers with Linux on it.
      After noticing virtual servers are pretty bad for gameservers, I was renting my first dedicated server in 2007.

And well, today I'm using Kubuntu (Tech preview currently) full-time.
      About 23% of my Steam library has native clients.
      About 85% of my Steam libraries non native clients can be run through Crossover-Wine.

The only problem makers are DX10+ only, non native games.
      Unfortunately, the trend is going that way.
      Evolve for example can't be played by me yet, I hope the devs find the "compile for Linux" button in their used Cryengine(which added Linux support lately) at full release.

Peace out. :brofist:
    • Using it on a dedicated server ( but I don't really use alot of things on it, teamspeak, transmission and a apache.. ) ; Also using it at school, i'm actually learning how to do scripts and stuff on it, some basic things, using is good, but I won't use it at home for a "full time" since yea, I love gaming.
      Standing alone doesn't mean I'm alone, It means i'm strong enought to handle things all by myself.
    • Antn010 wrote:

i just use the store for my ubuntu (im a new user started this year) but i tried running a virtual drive of windows, but very laggy. (im in 14.04) any games you know that are compatible with ubuntu?

Natively supported:
      Double Action: Boogaloo
      Electronic Super Joy
      Europa Universalis IV
      The Book of Unwritten Tales & Expansion
      Borderlands 2
      The Cat Lady
      Don't Starve
      Postal 1 & 2
      Sid Meier's Civilization V
      Prison Architect
      Garry's Mod
      Dota 2
      The Graveyard
      Guns of Icarus Online
      Interstellar Marines
      Organ Trail: Director's Cut
      Harvester
      CS:GO
      Cannon Brawl
      Left 4 Dead 2
      LUFTRAUSERS
      Legend of Grimrock
      Knock-knock
      King Arthur's Gold
      Killing Floor
      Kill Fun Yeah
      Natural Selection 2
      No More Room in Hell
      Papers, Please
      Risk of Rain
      Probably Archery
      Team Fortress 2
      Uplink
      The Witcher 2
      Windosill
      [...]

Suppoted via Wine application:
      Warcraft 3 TFT
      World of Warcraft
      Heroes of the Storm
      Hearthstone
      Dota 2 (runs better under wine, funny.)
      Mount & Blade Warband: Napoleonic Wars
      Windosill (has native Linux client now though)
      Jazz Jackrabbit 2 and 3
      [...]