Linux in Gaming

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• Linux in Gaming

Hey there,

just wondering how many Bros are Linux Users? And what is your history/opinion of using Linux (in Gaming)?

I've been using Linux since Oct 2005, when a friend gave me an Ubuntu 5.10 Live CD. I was 14 1/2 years old back then.
      I was pretty much pissed by the fact that I couldn't run any Windows programs/games and stopped using it after a week or two.

Then I found myself a Linux guru, who educated me in Linux in 2006. I started using virtual servers with Linux on it.
      After noticing virtual servers are pretty bad for gameservers, I was renting my first dedicated server in 2007.

And well, today I'm using Kubuntu (Tech preview currently) full-time.
      About 23% of my Steam library has native clients.
      About 85% of my Steam libraries non native clients can be run through Crossover-Wine.

The only problem makers are DX10+ only, non native games.
      Unfortunately, the trend is going that way.
      Evolve for example can't be played by me yet, I hope the devs find the "compile for Linux" button in their used Cryengine(which added Linux support lately) at full release.

Peace out. :brofist:
    • Using it on a dedicated server ( but I don't really use alot of things on it, teamspeak, transmission and a apache.. ) ; Also using it at school, i'm actually learning how to do scripts and stuff on it, some basic things, using is good, but I won't use it at home for a "full time" since yea, I love gaming.
      Standing alone doesn't mean I'm alone, It means i'm strong enought to handle things all by myself.
    • Antn010 wrote:

i just use the store for my ubuntu (im a new user started this year) but i tried running a virtual drive of windows, but very laggy. (im in 14.04) any games you know that are compatible with ubuntu?

Natively supported:
      Double Action: Boogaloo
      Electronic Super Joy
      Europa Universalis IV
      The Book of Unwritten Tales & Expansion
      Borderlands 2
      The Cat Lady
      Don't Starve
      Postal 1 & 2
      Sid Meier's Civilization V
      Prison Architect
      Garry's Mod
      Dota 2
      The Graveyard
      Guns of Icarus Online
      Interstellar Marines
      Organ Trail: Director's Cut
      Harvester
      CS:GO
      Cannon Brawl
      Left 4 Dead 2
      LUFTRAUSERS
      Legend of Grimrock
      Knock-knock
      King Arthur's Gold
      Killing Floor
      Kill Fun Yeah
      Natural Selection 2
      No More Room in Hell
      Papers, Please
      Risk of Rain
      Probably Archery
      Team Fortress 2
      Uplink
      The Witcher 2
      Windosill
      [...]

Suppoted via Wine application:
      Warcraft 3 TFT
      World of Warcraft
      Heroes of the Storm
      Hearthstone
      Dota 2 (runs better under wine, funny.)
      Mount & Blade Warband: Napoleonic Wars
      Windosill (has native Linux client now though)
      Jazz Jackrabbit 2 and 3
      [...]