Gaming Clichés

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• Gaming Clichés

You know when you're playing a game, and you're having a great time, and then you get stuck on an ice level or a vehicle section? Yeah, you do. We've all been through it. Clichés are in every game, and most of the time, they're fine. Things like bosses are clichés because they're in pretty much every game ever, but nobody cares because usually it's a good challenge to beat up some bigger version of an enemy. Some others, though... Not so much.

What trends in video games have plagued your experience with repetitive, annoying mechanics?

Personally, I hate it in games when your character is the only one capable of doing ANYTHING. AT ALL. I mean, other characters are there, usually armed or strong enough to do the job themselves, but they leave it to a child (in most cases) to do the work for them. Games like Pokémon and Legend of Zelda do this all the time and I hate it.
      “The important thing is not how long you live... It's what you accomplish with your life. While I live, I want to shine. I want to prove that I exist. If I could do something really important... That would definitely carry on into the future.”

~Grovyle, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky
    • It's related to bosses. I don't mind bosses, I think they're a necessary part of games at times. But the morphing final boss, it's guaranteed you'll have to fight them at least twice as they reveal their "final form". And Rogue Galaxy took the piss with it. It had like... nine forms (?)... one after the other and the total fight lasted at least an hour with no save points between forms, and it was late and I just wanted to go to bed!!

Also: Awesome battle skills that are not needed on regular enemies because they're too weak, but that bosses are immune to. What is the point?!?!?!
    • Uhm, I dislike a game cutting off it's story all of a sudden and thrusting you into gameplay. At that point, you're like "UGH, I WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED, NOT FIGHT 2,000 ENEMIES URRRRG" The gameplay is supposed to be the fun part, so why does it sometimes feel like a chore to play a darn game?

I smack you with my petals
    • Gaming clichés. When you say that, I can only think of one thing.
      Jumpscares.
      I really really like horror games. But I don't like to be scared by one or another random clusterfuck and being chased, so I need to run from my life. Therefore, I don't like Amnesia or the sequel to that game, I like the old PS2 games, where it was all about atmosphere. Sadly, jumpscares seem to be the next new hype thing, and they're ruining the story part I like
    • For the love of god, frikking Jumpscares.
      Nowadays it's a trend to call a game ridden with jumpscares a good horror game. I'm sure that people who say that haven't played actual horror games.

1-2 Scares.basically a minor scare first for nothing and then a fullblown jumpscare afterwards.

• Repetitive sidequests. Usually when it involves farming a lot of the same materials. It gets very tedious if you keep fighting the same monsters just to get some materials.

Also, ice levels especially when you need to slide across the room to get to the next place. It's not that bad but there are always slide puzzles in any ice dungeons.
    • Mystery wrote:

Gaming clichés. When you say that, I can only think of one thing.
      Jumpscares.
      I really really like horror games. But I don't like to be scared by one or another random clusterfuck and being chased, so I need to run from my life. Therefore, I don't like Amnesia or the sequel to that game, I like the old PS2 games, where it was all about atmosphere. Sadly, jumpscares seem to be the next new hype thing, and they're ruining the story part I like

I don't agree with the chasing part because when there's a jumpscare it is either random, instant death or scripted, but when there's chasing the scare and tension level rises because you can survive, but it depends on your luck, memory, speed and your wits. All the other points are valid IMO, tho.

Okuu wrote:

For the love of god, frikking Jumpscares.
      Nowadays it's a trend to call a game ridden with jumpscares a good horror game. I'm sure that people who say that haven't played actual horror games.

1-2 Scares.basically a minor scare first for nothing and then a fullblown jumpscare afterwards.

I know right, where are all the Silent Hills 1&2s when you need them.
    • I wouldn't use the word cliché... it's more like steriotypes. But yeah, I agree they are everywhere the entire gaming universe is built on stereotypes - the health bar, power-ups, score, multiple lives, mini-maps, mini-games, zambiez, loading screens, onscreen virtual joystick... Quite honestly though, "clichés" alone aren't what ruins the game experience, it's their abuse or improper use in games - when they are just slapped in there for no apparent reason.

One could argue that in-game GUI windows is a cliche that needs to go, how many times have you seen a large non-resizable window obstructing the game world view or worse - 3 of them, and you can't just hide them as you need all 3 visible (mainly in MMOs). On the other hand try accessing your inventory in real-time without the concept of an "Inventory Window".

In summary... there are no bad game elements, there are bad combinations of elements and poorly designed interactions between game elements (and players).