Doubleposts

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• Doubleposts

It has come to my attention that a lot of people are making multiple unneeded posts whilst they can just edit their previous posts and put additions in it.

I suggest a plugin which automatically merges posts if a user decides to post another post in a certain timeframe whilst noone else has posted.

• One word: Moderators.

Besides, that's not that simple and from what I see, this forum isn't a shitstorm, for now, so Moderators can do some moderating easily, people tend to learn the next time they do it, even normal members can raise some awareness to do those "breaking the rules" everyone helps
    • Hugo Daniel wrote:

One word: Moderators.

Besides, that's not that simple and from what I see, this forum isn't a shitstorm, for now, so Moderators can do some moderating easily, people tend to learn the next time they do it, even normal members can raise some awareness to do those "breaking the rules" everyone helps

There are enough of them and there is enough stuff being enforced. The vast majority of double posts of created due to the accidents and lack of knowledge of the system. They have a lot of things to do already and to monitor.

• We made a gazillion of threads to explain what's going on and what to do. The rules here, they're not the same as a set of job rules. These are made for a nice environment, not with stuff you must do otherwise you're getting banned. Well, although it sorta is.
      I see them more as guidelines. And the double post thing is just a handything to get rid of a small portion of a mod's job. Which is really nice.
    • I know when I was a moderator of a highly popular anime forum, that I would just copy the previous posts all into one and delete the redundant ones. And then put a post into the thread telling so and so to not double post. After which if they kept doing it they would get three strikes, and then be banned for a week. And then if they kept doing it, would eventually be banned outright.

The One and Only.
    • lostsouls wrote:

I know when I was a moderator of a highly popular anime forum, that I would just copy the previous posts all into one and delete the redundant ones. And then put a post into the thread telling so and so to not double post. After which if they kept doing it they would get three strikes, and then be banned for a week. And then if they kept doing it, would eventually be banned outright.

I wish that would be as easy as it would be, but sadly it isn't (experienced it here first hand over here as I was a moderator here for quite some time). Mods are currently already deleting and merging posts, but they don't have eyes everywhere and I personally think that such tedious task should be automated so that the staff can focus itself on actual nuisances like trolls and creating more ways/things for the community to enjoy rather than being a killjoy and raise the banhammer at everyone who doesn't 'listen'. Some people aren't really capable of comprehending information properly due to various factors including age and intellect and it just can't be helped that they would do such things. This community is and should be a place for everyone and anyone regardless of age etc. to have fun and express themselves etc.

To make a long story short, the staff here have better things to do than merging posts.

• Okuu wrote:

lostsouls wrote:

I know when I was a moderator of a highly popular anime forum, that I would just copy the previous posts all into one and delete the redundant ones. And then put a post into the thread telling so and so to not double post. After which if they kept doing it they would get three strikes, and then be banned for a week. And then if they kept doing it, would eventually be banned outright.

I wish that would be as easy as it would be, but sadly it isn't (experienced it here first hand over here as I was a moderator here for quite some time). Mods are currently already deleting and merging posts, but they don't have eyes everywhere and I personally think that such tedious task should be automated so that the staff can focus itself on actual nuisances like trolls and creating more ways/things for the community to enjoy rather than being a killjoy and raise the banhammer at everyone who doesn't 'listen'. Some people aren't really capable of comprehending information properly due to various factors including age and intellect and it just can't be helped that they would do such things. This community is and should be a place for everyone and anyone regardless of age etc. to have fun and express themselves etc.

To make a long story short, the staff here have better things to do than merging posts.

That's not an excuse, I moderated a forum from a private server game that was very famous that had 300-500 members online at any point of the day and we were ALWAYS on the look for any rule breakers, trollers, people that brought a bad environment, flamers, you got the drill.
      Here is kinda different, I dont even see Moderators posting, having assigned a staff position doesn't mean you cant interact with the community, not unethical behavior but a behavior which according to your title may let you have a little fun time with these forum members. That being said, for someone being online on the chat being unable to check the forums or even post tells a lot of these mods, I'm not even saying bad things, some staff members have a "different" sense of humor, which is ironic because this forum is from a very funny bro ;)
    • Okuu wrote:

We also had mod's assigned to one section also at a time. So we had a mod that his only job was to welcome people in the introduction section, and watched that section, and had rights only to that section. One for the general discussion forum, one for the gaming forum, and one for the other misc sections. Then you had seinor mods that were over the section mods, and their only job was to catch what the other section mods couldn't. They were also the one's who could go to the Admins of the board, eiteher by writting it down on the admins board, sending the admin a PM on the forum, or contacting them directly if they were trusted enough, and tell them what needed to be done, or places they needed to look at. And if it was serious enough then the admins would come down and reign heven and hell down upon its members if need be. It was quite an effective way of taking care of everything.

The One and Only.
    • lostsouls wrote:

We also had mod's assigned to one section also at a time. So we had a mod that his only job was to welcome people in the introduction section, and watched that section, and had rights only to that section. One for the general discussion forum, one for the gaming forum, and one for the other misc sections. Then you had seinor mods that were over the section mods, and their only job was to catch what the other section mods couldn't. They were also the one's who could go to the Admins of the board, eiteher by writting it down on the admins board, sending the admin a PM on the forum, or contacting them directly if they were trusted enough, and tell them what needed to be done, or places they needed to look at. And if it was serious enough then the admins would come down and reign heven and hell down upon its members if need be. It was quite an effective way of taking care of everything.

This forum in particular should probably do that because there is no need to have one Moderator for each section, the forum as it is, with a team of a few Moderators CAN manage it well enough to not let basic stuff happen, the only need for a Head Forum Moderator is to monitor if the Moderators are you doing their job properly. Hell, the Mods are ALL DAY at the Chat . . .

Nonetheless @lostsouls, what you've said is kinda not needed, the only thing Administrators should come down to reign heaven and hell should be at Moderators :)
    • @Hugo Daniel haha true enough. It just worked quite well for our major forum. As our mods knew what their job was and what they had to do, and they loved being mods. We had about 8 normal mods, 4 head ones, and two admins. And we were able to hold down an anime forum with their being about 150 posts+ average each day. And we catered to the 12+ yr old range. The most annoying part about it was when the spam bots hit, and tried to thus make it look like a normal topic, but when you clicked and read the post it was just a bunch of giberish and a link.

The One and Only.