Does graphics matter?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• Does graphics matter?

Watching Pewds' Dead Rising 3 videos and hearing him "commentate" on the graphics. this makes me think about how much does graphics matter in a game. Please, state your personal opinion about how much does graphics matter.
      In my opinion, graphics partly matters. 32 bit 3D or 64 bit 3D is not my cup of tea, same goes with games made with quake(game engine).

Gentlemen, what is your opinion?
    • Graphics matter for me, I don't want to play an ugly game. (Edit) But if the game is good it doesn't matter as much (but I prefer good graphics) to me; and what would I do about all the older games that I love that are considered not as good looking by today's standards?

The post was edited 1 time, last by Piggeh ().

• Well.... YES and NO :D If grahics does matter then why people go back to the old games? :D It's because old games was difficult, interesting and some of them was really long. Today we've got amazing graphics but we can easily finish the game in 2-3 hours. I remember when on old arcade racing games you need to do some incredible stuff to unlock cars. Nowadays you don't need to have skills, just click that "buy" button..... :/ So for me graphics can be good BUT if you ask me "graphics or fun" my answer is fun :)
      "Everybody knows that something can't be done and then somebody turns up and he doesn't know it can't be done and he does it." ~ Albert Einstein
    • Graphics in a game..well, its still a thing for somebody himself to decide whether someone likes ultra graphics in a game or not.
      I can only speak for myself, saying that i love Games for their story, their atmosphere and their characters. (best recent example: The Evil Within.) Although im always impressed when a game looks very good on my computer or my ps4.
      But you can tell, that when people put more effort in the game's graphics the story or the gameplay lacks something.
      Thats my opinion, though.
    • Graphics don't always matter.
      But graphics can be mesmerizing and make the game more immersive. Beautiful games like Shadow of the Colossus are so atmospheric and amazing to enjoy, but its graphics aren't top notch. However, when I watch play-throughs of that game or when I play it myself, that doesn't matter to me.
      In games like Alien Isolation, graphics enhance the experience and make it feel like you're really there.
      Extremely bad graphics, in any serious game, create too much separation between the player and the game. Bad graphics can be distracting. Poor graphics might take away from a game's atmosphere.

It's the exact same thing with audio, gameplay, plot development, etc. It's about balance and overall quality.

So it's not that graphics is everything, but good graphics helps.
    • It does help appreciating a game in my opinion. However I wouldn't play a game that doesn't have an acceptable plot, while a good story and bad graphics would still be something I would definitely try. So important but not as much as the story.
      Now again it depends on the game, a serious game needs good graphics, a fast little game to pass time is not expected to have good graphics or even a plot at all. Well you get the idea anyway.
      -Faceaxe forever-
      #FUCKIT
      °
      °
      °
      I'm so nice...
    • It depends on the game really, games that "require" good graphics usually have good graphics and games that don't need the graphics usually don't. I'm not someone who's like "UGH...IF I CAN'T OPEN THIS GAME ON ULTRA THEN I HATE IT". My point is that I don't remember to ever complain about the graphics in a game, only appreciate the graphics if the game has them. They surely help with the atmosphere. A more important thing than graphics (talking about visuals still) is the art style though.

P.S.: When Pewds commentates over "bad" graphics it's usually because the developers were hyping the game's graphics like it's nobody's business when in reality it's nothing that different from other games.
    • I think graphics do matter, but not in the sense that the graphics need to be HD or realistic or whatever.
      I think graphics do matter because they can heavily affect the feel of a game, and can make the other aspects of a game have a heavier impact.
      For example, the graphics in Earthbound. Bright and colorful, so that enhances the general quirky feel of the game.
      In contrast, a game like Twilight Princess has a more muted color pallete, giving the game a more melancholy feel.
      Like, you wouldn't take a sad event as seriously if you were in a bright colorful field of flowers, rather than being in a gray, abandoned building?
      I think graphics are just another aspect of a game, and just like you shouldn't have a game based entirely on one aspect, your game shouldn't be focused entirely on graphics. Every part of a game should compliment each other, and have harmony, to create a collective, amazing experience.

I smack you with my petals
    • Yes and no, to be honest. If there's a game I have never played before and I think the graphics look really bad it will put me off. I have to read lots of reviews and player feedback to make sure the gameplay for me will be worth looking at something I consider ugly. Whereas if I think something looks good I'm less meticulous in making sure I will enjoy every single facet of the game before I buy it.

But once I'm into a game I really don't care about the graphics at all. For example I didn't think the graphics on Star Ocean 3 (for the time) were really that great, but it was just such an immersive and awesome game that I forgot about them and then the mind tricks me into thinking they look better than they are anyway.

I think one thing that gets lost in "GREAT GRAPHICS!" is that sometimes a game can technically look wonderful, and yet it has no atmosphere or character in the visuals. I remember this really hit me when Tomb Raider Anniversary was released. To me, the old PS1 version looked better! And yeah, technically it doesn't. But I found the improved graphics of the remake far too sterile and lacking atmosphere, everything looked too clean and nicely presented and I was constantly reminded that I was playing a game, whereas the original felt like I was really there despite it objectively looking very little like real life.

Ultimately I'm in the camp that firmly believes gameplay is the most important thing about a game. Graphics are just nice hook. Of course if a game has both going for it - win!

Edit:

Miinuko wrote:

Well, if i play a very good looking game, but gameplay and/or story is dumb, said game goes straight to the garbage can.

Well this said everything I was trying to say far more succinctly xD

The post was edited 1 time, last by jellystripes ().

• for me, absolutly not, i dont care about that as long as teh game is emersive and cool, if i enjoy playing it fine for me, im gona give ya an example, infamous the first one grafics are awful but the game is FUCKING AMAZING