Story Heavy Games

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• Alasteh wrote:

I'd definitely go with the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series, especially the second installments for DS, Explorers of Time, Darkness, and Sky (3 seperate games, by the way). The amount of thought that went into these games was simply astounding. They hold amazing character development, beautiful music, and of course, a magnificently crafted story.

There's not much I can say without spoiling at least one of the many major plot points, but I can definitely say that this game is the most deceiving thing you will ever play. On the outside, it seems like the most child-friendly game out there, focusing on exploring and collecting treasure and fame, but as the story progresses, you discover so many hidden meanings and so many darker aspects of the story and some characters.

And to think it was made by Nintendo.

Hah, interesting. I'll give the ones I can emulate easily a go, thanks for the recommendation. :)
    • I really liked The Wolf Among Us as I found the story line really intriguing. And I am a big Tell Tale fan anyway so I'm probably a little bit biased!

Don't know if anyone remembers this but I really liked Beyond Good and Evil (2003) on the PS2 as well - where you play a young photojournalist who is intent on uncovering a conspiracy. At the time I thought it was a really original idea and I loved the graphics/design. I remember it being kid friendly but my heart was still pounding throughout the stealth sections!
    • Story is the thing that makes a game top for me, gameplay isn't so important. That said, Beyond: Two Souls would've been far better as a book/film... The story is amazing but the gameplay is far far too bad (and it doesn't seem like choices actually affect anything). It's a shame because it had so much potential with the Aiden gameplay dynamic.

Some of my favourite games are Fallout: New Vegas, Red Dead Redemption, The Last of Us, Bioshock, LA NOIRE.... they all have amazing stories.
    • Recently finished Dragon Age:Origins. Amazing story. And the choices you make actually make a difference.

Also, almost done with Dragon Age 2. The story isn't as epic, actually you can't even compare. Still interesting though.

Ofc there's also:
      FFVII
      FFX
      TWD
      Bioshock series
      Heavy rain
      Fallout: New Vegas
      FarCry3
      Skyrim
      The last of us
      Red dead redemption

I bet you can't click that dancin' Buu

The post was edited 1 time, last by Miinuko ().

• Miinuko wrote:

Recently finished Dragon Age:Origins. Amazing story. And the choices you make actually make a difference.

I loved that game my first playthrough. I've never managed more than a couple of hours my second and third times though because of my only problem with it: it's so tedious! It's as if the developers said 'what makes a great game? I know! Quests long for the sake of being long.' That's just my opinion though (I didn't notice it the first playthrough but the second and third I found insufferable :( ). Otherwise it is a fantastic game and I wish I had the willpower to do it all again.
      Some great choices on your favourites too! ;)
    • Chrlat wrote:

Some of my favourite games are Fallout: New Vegas, Red Dead Redemption, The Last of Us, Bioshock, LA NOIRE.... they all have amazing stories.

I loved Red Dead Redemption and LA Noire - they were addictive!

I haven't played the Last of Us or Bioshock but I've watched playthroughs and I loved the stories. I watched Frankie play The Last of Us and because he is good at the game itself it was honestly like watching a film because there were so few interruptions. And some of his comments whilst playing were pretty funny. :)
    • Chrlat wrote:

Story is the thing that makes a game top for me, gameplay isn't so important. That said, Beyond: Two Souls would've been far better as a book/film... The story is amazing but the gameplay is far far too bad (and it doesn't seem like choices actually affect anything). It's a shame because it had so much potential with the Aiden gameplay dynamic.

New Vegas was rad, 3 was better in my opinion though. And I'd have to agree with the part about the choices in B:TS, the only difference they made were in the end, which equated (for me at least) to almost nothing. That being said, Ellen Page couldn't have starred in a book, and I love Ellen Page, so maybe a movie.

Chrlat wrote:

Miinuko wrote:

Recently finished Dragon Age:Origins. Amazing story. And the choices you make actually make a difference.

I loved that game my first playthrough. I've never managed more than a couple of hours my second and third times though because of my only problem with it: it's so tedious! It's as if the developers said 'what makes a great game? I know! Quests long for the sake of being long.' That's just my opinion though (I didn't notice it the first playthrough but the second and third I found insufferable :( ). Otherwise it is a fantastic game and I wish I had the willpower to do it all again.
      Some great choices on your favourites too! ;)

One of my all time favorites, though I can see why it would get slightly tedious after a while. Especially after you're done with the introduction for the race/class you picked (I loved how the beginnings were almost always different and rich with plot). DOA 2, not so much. Inquisition though, I don't know, seems like it might disappoint from the character descriptions that were given on the FB page for the game. The characters seemed slightly too cliched and unoriginal, but that might equate to a bad sneak peak by the developers.
    • Oh my god, seconded about mystery dungeon. I didn't realize what a tear jerker that game would be when I played explorers of sky... it looks so innocent ;-;
      I'm also gonna mention another DS game, Drawn to Life The Next Chapter. Not gonna say anything about the plot becuz spoilers... but if you played it you know what I'm talking about. Yet another innocent looking game hiding a dark plot :V

I smack you with my petals
    • LilyWhite wrote:

Oh my god, seconded about mystery dungeon. I didn't realize what a tear jerker that game would be when I played explorers of sky... it looks so innocent ;-;
      I'm also gonna mention another DS game, Drawn to Life The Next Chapter. Not gonna say anything about the plot becuz spoilers... but if you played it you know what I'm talking about. Yet another innocent looking game hiding a dark plot :V

Gawk, all these DS games getting brought up here. Never knew the DS was such a popular console for story-based games. X/