Story Heavy Games

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• Story Heavy Games

Errm, a genre that's usually overlooked by the masses, but one that I very much adore.
      Anything from 1DreamBoy 2, to Katawa Shoujo.

What's your favorite one? Which famous ones did you play (or watch YouTubers play)?

I'd say The Wolf Among Us is one of the better story heavy games I played, though The Walking Dead comes close behind. Some others I very much enjoyed are Heavy Rain, Corpse Party, Beyond Two Souls, etc. The Pewdie playthroughs made it all the more entertaining and fun, while still being a very good story in the making.

The post was edited 7 times, last by notmyid ().

• Well as far as platforming, Jak and Daxter is pretty story driven, I haven't played it but the Legend of Spyro Trilogy is supposed to be story driven, but I've only played the first gen (1-3 on ps1, 4-5 PS2, and all the handhelds except shadow legacy), and StarWars: The Force Unleashed/Knights of the Old Republic would probably be my favorite story intensive games.
      Gaming Humor Network (Youtube)____________HERE COMES THE AIRPLANE

• BryanENHSB wrote:

that is my favorite genre of game, kingdom hearts being my favorite game.

but it is strange because minecraft is my second favorite game.

Oh, man. Totally forgot Kingdom Hearts (1 & 2). I remember sitting in front of the screen, completely blank faced when I finished one of them (don't recall exactly which one, but both were fantastic). It's just one of those game series that can tear your heart out so easily, just by ending.
    • Kingdom Hearts is very story driven. And is insanely good despite the collab with Disney (Square Enix rocks).

If you have a DS/iOS/Android, you should really check out The World Ends With You. A very nice game with unique gameplay (atleast for the DS, the solo remix isn't that unique imo) and an insanely well written storyline. Besides that, it teaches you an amazing life lesson. The combat might get a little boring after you completed the game including the bonus chapter, but it has a quite good replay value in my opinion .(again, Square Enix)

If you want a story driven horror game, you should check out the Fatal Frame franchise and Forbidden Siren 1/2. Fatal Frame had it's emotional moments where you felt completely sad about the stuff happening and such and maybe even need a pinky to wipe some tears away. Be sure to play 1 and 2 if you are ever going to play 3 as there are a lot of important flashbacks in it you won't get if you haven't played those games. Bought 1/2/3 in the PSN store and have a hard copy of 2 here.

If you want an artsy story driven game loosely based on Japanese folklore. You should totally check out Okami. This game is a work of art on multiple levels. It isn't that hard at all and is suitable for all ages and categories of gamers. I liked it so much that I bought it twice. 1 time on PS2 and the HD version on PS3

• Okuu wrote:

Kingdom Hearts is very story driven. And is insanely good despite the collab with Disney (Square Enix rocks).

If you have a DS/iOS/Android, you should really check out The World Ends With You. A very nice game with unique gameplay (atleast for the DS, the solo remix isn't that unique imo) and an insanely well written storyline. Besides that, it teaches you an amazing life lesson. The combat might get a little boring after you completed the game including the bonus chapter, but it has a quite good replay value in my opinion .(again, Square Enix)

If you want a story driven horror game, you should check out the Fatal Frame franchise and Forbidden Siren 1/2. Fatal Frame had it's emotional moments where you felt completely sad about the stuff happening and such and maybe even need a pinky to wipe some tears away. Be sure to play 1 and 2 if you are ever going to play 3 as there are a lot of important flashbacks in it you won't get if you haven't played those games. Bought 1/2/3 in the PSN store and have a hard copy of 2 here.

If you want an artsy story driven game loosely based on Japanese folklore. You should totally check out Okami. This game is a work of art on multiple levels. It isn't that hard at all and is suitable for all ages and categories of gamers. I liked it so much that I bought it twice. 1 time on PS2 and the HD version on PS3

I'll try getting The World Ends with you, though I'll only be able to get it on my crummy Android phone. We'll see how well that goes.

I'd try Okami as well, but it seems I'm lacking in a PS2/3 (sold mine quite a while ago). And as for Fatal Frame, I could never really get into horror games, at least not if I play by myself.
    • DumbDiamonds wrote:

I've played many story driven games, but my favorite is most likely The Last of Us. One of the best games I've ever played in my life, and one of the best storylines in gaming history.

I thought it was a rather nice storyline (definitely would've liked it less if I had to playthrough it). Though it seems to me that the hype was, well, just that, hype. I liked it, but not as much as many others did.
    • Yees, my favorite genre for pretty much anything. Kingdom Hearts games are an absolute favorite for me as well. I also LOVE Final Fantasy X (and X-2 but of course the first one is better)! I want to play The Last of Us, Bioshock Infinite and The World Ends With Yso bad but unfortunately I have to wait until I have money to buy them. And also until I've finished all three games I'm playing right now :D
    • Paperstag wrote:

Bioshock really got me! Favorite game of all time, loved the story and the setting

Would you kindly?

kalaongelma wrote:

Yees, my favorite genre for pretty much anything. Kingdom Hearts games are an absolute favorite for me as well. I also LOVE Final Fantasy X (and X-2 but of course the first one is better)! I want to play The Last of Us, Bioshock Infinite and The World Ends With Yso bad but unfortunately I have to wait until I have money to buy them. And also until I've finished all three games I'm playing right now :D

Infinite was a good game, but I didn't care for it as much as I wanted to. Characters seemed kind of bland, story was all too complicated (clunky, in truer terms) and, well, can't really complain about the graphics, those were great. I liked the first Bioshock a lot better, then again, I played it when I was a lot younger; perspectives change, that's that.
    • Story-heavy games, huh? I think I can call that a favorite genre of mine, considering that I like playing video games with stories very very much. As for the ones that I like the most, I think the number is very big, so I'll just list a few: inFAMOUS: Second Son, the Dangan Ronpa series, and Uri's Strange Men Series (which includes The Crooked Man--Oh, and by the way, The Crooked Man has a sequel named The Sandman).
      Do your best, have fun, keep calm, look at the bright side, and friendship for the win! ^^
    • Well, there are lots of heavy story driven games. I think that Quantic Dream, Naughty Dog and Rockstar Games are the best people in that business. So i'll go with Red Dead Redemption, GTA VICE CITY/SA/IV/V, Heavy Rain, Uncharted Series and The Last of Us. Then we got surprisingly good games like the BioShock series or Assassins Creed series, in which their first games came literally out of nowhere.
    • Okay so I know no one ever talks about Portal when it comes to story heavy but in my opinion Portal was one of the most emotional experiences I've ever had during a game. I mean of course there are MANY others that we all can say the same in (Just started Bioshock, almost done with the first, and everything about it is so damn interesting every new area you encounter like damn son where'd ya find this) anyway.. for some reason Portal and mainly Portal 2 just hit me really hard personally. I'm not sure why to be honest, but a few things I know for sure I like are games with:

-on point voice actors (every single one in this game is just unf wow)
      -very open/dark/eerie atmosphere (dont even get me started- like the second I opened the vault/door to "abandoned aperture" I just could not help but take my sweet time looking around and taking screenshots and just adore the broad, creepy atmosphere)
      -deep/eerie/dark ambiance (as said above in the abandoned area, the ambiance is on-fucking-point like there were sounds of things creaking and suddle rocks/dirt falling it played tricks on my eyes when I'd gaze up at the spheres I honestly could have sworn I saw them shift a little horrified they'd collapse over me! gg on the audio valve like dayum)
      and of course..
      -story.

Ok so what I've been leading up to say is this:
      The cool thing about Portal's story is that it is soo broad enough and open for discussion & opinions. Like the theories I've heard for this game are amazing, and the cool thing is, you can believe which ever one you want. You could even take different ideas from different theories and put them together into your own. Even when it comes down to the facts and what really happened at Aperture, there is absolutely no shortage of interesting spins/point of views on each event. Not to mention all the little easter eggs throughout the game that help tie your story together.

Idk man maybe Im being too emotional but ffs valve games do that to me okay okay.
      (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧
    • Valiant wrote:

Okay so I know no one ever talks about Portal when it comes to story heavy but in my opinion Portal was one of the most emotional experiences I've ever had during a game. I mean of course there are MANY others that we all can say the same in (Just started Bioshock, almost done with the first, and everything about it is so damn interesting every new area you encounter like damn son where'd ya find this) anyway.. for some reason Portal and mainly Portal 2 just hit me really hard personally. I'm not sure why to be honest, but a few things I know for sure I like are games with:

-on point voice actors (every single one in this game is just unf wow)
      -very open/dark/eerie atmosphere (dont even get me started- like the second I opened the vault/door to "abandoned aperture" I just could not help but take my sweet time looking around and taking screenshots and just adore the broad, creepy atmosphere)
      -deep/eerie/dark ambiance (as said above in the abandoned area, the ambiance is on-fucking-point like there were sounds of things creaking and suddle rocks/dirt falling it played tricks on my eyes when I'd gaze up at the spheres I honestly could have sworn I saw them shift a little horrified they'd collapse over me! gg on the audio valve like dayum)
      and of course..
      -story.

Ok so what I've been leading up to say is this:
      The cool thing about Portal's story is that it is soo broad enough and open for discussion & opinions. Like the theories I've heard for this game are amazing, and the cool thing is, you can believe which ever one you want. You could even take different ideas from different theories and put them together into your own. Even when it comes down to the facts and what really happened at Aperture, there is absolutely no shortage of interesting spins/point of views on each event. Not to mention all the little easter eggs throughout the game that help tie your story together.

Idk man maybe Im being too emotional but ffs valve games do that to me okay okay.

Hmph! I love how differently you look at Portal. I actually haven't played 2, but I might if I get some spare time on my hands. I could see why you'd like the first Bioshock though, the hospital part was a lot of fun to play. Not to mention you'll get an inside joke made in this thread when you finish.

Edit: Oh, you might like the Alice is Dead series. Very dark, atmospheric and intriguing. Also, free.
      Play Alice is Dead - Ep 1, a free online game on Kongregate
    • notmyid wrote:

Hmph! I love how differently you look at Portal. I actually haven't played 2, but I might if I get some spare time on my hands. I could see why you'd like the first Bioshock though, the hospital part was a lot of fun to play. Not to mention you'll get an inside joke made in this thread when you finish.

Edit: Oh, you might like the Alice is Dead series. Very dark, atmospheric and intriguing. Also, free.
      Play Alice is Dead - Ep 1, a free online game on Kongregate

Whoa dude thanks! This is awesome I'm defiantly giving this a try! But for now ima go continue Bioshock (maybe even finish soon). I'm really curious to know this inside joke ^^
      (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧
    • I'd definitely go with the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series, especially the second installments for DS, Explorers of Time, Darkness, and Sky (3 seperate games, by the way). The amount of thought that went into these games was simply astounding. They hold amazing character development, beautiful music, and of course, a magnificently crafted story.

There's not much I can say without spoiling at least one of the many major plot points, but I can definitely say that this game is the most deceiving thing you will ever play. On the outside, it seems like the most child-friendly game out there, focusing on exploring and collecting treasure and fame, but as the story progresses, you discover so many hidden meanings and so many darker aspects of the story and some characters.

And to think it was made by Nintendo.
      “The important thing is not how long you live... It's what you accomplish with your life. While I live, I want to shine. I want to prove that I exist. If I could do something really important... That would definitely carry on into the future.”

~Grovyle, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky