Tech Update (aka what the hell happened to the servers)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• Tech Update (aka what the hell happened to the servers)

Howdy everyone,
      I'm here to explain you the ups and downs of last week, what we did, and what happened on accident. So let's dive right into that...

The server system broarmy.net was based on was constructed months back without any reference for user numbers or similar things to work with. We did automatic stress tests, but those just aren't the same as real people flooding our gates. So it had to happen, the servers were overloaded and only half of the people or less actually got through. That sparked an emergency plan: plan UPGRADE SERVERS BEFORE WE GO UNDER. I know, our plans have the best names.
      This plan involved renting new infrastructure and rebuilding our system to work in such an environment. After the servers we had purchased arrived a little bit delayed due to complicated circumstances, we got to work. "Who's we?" I hear you asking. As project lead it's usually just me who deals with all the servers, but for these big projects I like to get my buddy @SolSoCoG on board. He has a lot of experience with Linux servers and web servers and so on. We rebuilt the system step by step, hence all the smaller maintenances we had. One by one the server cluster got more powerful.
      And then, this weekend suddenly the site went down for a long time, and data disappeared - it's like this weekend didn't even exist on here. What is that you ask, "why?"... it's all related to a series of unfortunate events that start at a normal maintenance, go over hardware failing and being reset and ending up with new software suddenly clogging up the system. Due to these system failures we had to roll back using our backups twice, making it look like the posts you've written never existed. We're terribly sorry about that. This will not happen again. We promise. Pinky swear.
      So what does that leave us with now? We finished the maintenance, allowing us to use more than triple the power we had just a week ago. We employ new mechanics to backup and secure data. We use new technology to ensure fast and reliable access to the site. We worked hard, and we improved, a lot.

I sincerely apologize for the downtimes and issues that came up during the last week. We hope it didn't cause you too much inconvenience. It's only going up from now on.

Heiko 'mKeRix' Rothe
    • Glad to hear it's going for the better! I didn't looses a lot of things anyway except 2-3 days worth of data. Nothing THAT tremendous. Your efforts are very appreciated as well, so thank you!
    • All your hard work isn't for nothing. I think I speak for almost everyone on here when I say Thank You.
      We probably wouldn't be able to have fun on this amazing site without your help and I'm deeply grateful for that. That you took so much effort to give us a good experience, warms my heart. Thanks Heiko. For the support, aid and of course your big smile, making us smile too.
    • I've always considered you a great example of work and determination, and this just proves my point. No need to apologize, because i trust things will run smoothly from now on and stuff like that was meant to happen.

Heiko, and team, you're all great <3
      (except Dano, he's rude)

I bet you can't click that dancin' Buu
    • Well Thank you for your big efforts, the website runs smoother now and the data losses are not that important as long as Broarmy.net don't disappear (It was inexistent for a moment, I tried not to cry).
      (Only problem : apparently some Bros disappeared ;( )
      It's been a week I'm here and I gotta say it was an amazing week : meeting new awesome people and all (users as much as Mods) :D
      So keep up with the good work, you got all your recognition ;)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Mehgo92 ().

• Oh, no, damn, in that time i received 1243214823492 likes, damn, how am i supposed to recover them, oh nooo
      Neah, just joking ^^.

Data is gone but bros are still here - this is clearly the most important thing ^^.
      I will always be thankful for this awesome forum and community ^^
      Life is awesome, smile ! :barrel:
    • Just a small thing, maybe if possible to give us info either on your twitter or somewhere on how's it going cause we were pretty much clueless the whole time.

Other than that, glad to know everything is back to normal! X3

Keep up the good work.

As they say, have fun!
    • Dakili wrote:

Just a small thing, maybe if possible to give us info either on your twitter or somewhere on how's it going cause we were pretty much clueless the whole time.

I try to update my Twitter occasionally, although I was so busy with getting everything to run again that I kinda forgot this time. I'll adjust my posting behavior regarding that accordingly and keep you updated via Twitter/Facebook from now on.
    • mKeRix wrote:

Dakili wrote:

Just a small thing, maybe if possible to give us info either on your twitter or somewhere on how's it going cause we were pretty much clueless the whole time.

I try to update my Twitter occasionally, although I was so busy with getting everything to run again that I kinda forgot this time. I'll adjust my posting behavior regarding that accordingly and keep you updated via Twitter/Facebook from now on.

Kinda what I meant. Went on your twitter and didn't have much info. Glad to know you'll try next time!

As they say, have fun!