Virtual Relationships..?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• I acc think virtual relationships can be just as effective as real life. My friend met this girl like just randomly, they skyped, added eachother on other networks and are now close to dating like they are gonna see eachother soon irl!! Thats so cute! If i acc ever made a close relationship with any bro on here, i would love to meet you that would be really cool.. plus people tend to express themselves better on the screen... but then i watch too much catfish so right now im just like o.0 muuuuuh i cant tell
      私はかわいいです :thumbup:
    • If you asked me about virtual romantic relationships, I'd say something like this:

Love is love, if there is a million miles between you or 5 feet. I could be so far away from someone and yet feel so close. I believe that two people can conquer any distance, with only their hearts. A bond between two people, if it's strong enough, can stretch all the way across the world.

I smack you with my petals
    • I think it's possible but it's really hard to do and to maintain, I saw one of my best friends having to enter a LD relationship because her bf moved away, it was hard but they still are together perfectly after more than 2 years ^^
      I've never been in one but I'm curious about how it is and how it feels
      And I support all kind of relationships ^^
    • Well friendships do happen quite often in online settings. The thing is, is that you have to really, as in REALLY trust someone to make it more than that. As there are so many people who lie about themselves, who they are, and other various things. For me, it takes talking to people for over a year before I start talking about more personal stuff, and depending on how they react to that then depends on what happens next. In my 17 years of being online I have met only a handful of people that I have actually called and talked to on the phone. I also met my current girlfriend of 4 1/2 years this way. Though we were friends for 10 years first before we started an online relationship, and have since traveled back and forth to each others countrys, since I live in the USA and she lives in the UK.

The One and Only.
    • For me personally, there are relationships you can establish but they'll always be more like acquaintances then actual friendships. Reason being is simply because you aren't there physically. You get to hear what they say, you can even get to see them but 9 out of 10 times, you only see the good and none (or barely) of the bad... The bad is part of that person and without having that physical social interaction, it's just not a thing. Perhaps it's because of trust issues, but none to less that's what it is.

And yes, I do realise I'm 'reviving' this thread.. Wha-evah, I do what I want!
    • Zeverouis wrote:

For me personally, there are relationships you can establish but they'll always be more like acquaintances then actual friendships. Reason being is simply because you aren't there physically. You get to hear what they say, you can even get to see them but 9 out of 10 times, you only see the good and none (or barely) of the bad... The bad is part of that person and without having that physical social interaction, it's just not a thing. Perhaps it's because of trust issues, but none to less that's what it is.

It's indeed pretty easy to be someone else in front of a computer, which can be hard for the other person to figure out (although it will happen eventually).
      These things are definitely possible, been there done that. However, fact is that it rarely ever works out nicely or is worth it, the physical aspect is something that's essential to relationships in a way. If you dated before the distance aspect came into play it's a different scenario which can make it easier (but also harder), I've just come to the decision that long distance with someone you met online isn't really worth all the trouble anymore, at least for myself.
    • mKeRix wrote:

Zeverouis wrote:

For me personally, there are relationships you can establish but they'll always be more like acquaintances then actual friendships. Reason being is simply because you aren't there physically. You get to hear what they say, you can even get to see them but 9 out of 10 times, you only see the good and none (or barely) of the bad... The bad is part of that person and without having that physical social interaction, it's just not a thing. Perhaps it's because of trust issues, but none to less that's what it is.

It's indeed pretty easy to be someone else in front of a computer, which can be hard for the other person to figure out (although it will happen eventually).
      These things are definitely possible, been there done that. However, fact is that it rarely ever works out nicely or is worth it, the physical aspect is something that's essential to relationships in a way. If you dated before the distance aspect came into play it's a different scenario which can make it easier (but also harder), I've just come to the decision that long distance with someone you met online isn't really worth all the trouble anymore, at least for myself.

Completely agree.
    • It is risky business thats for sure! I have met alot of amazing friends online whom I have went on to meet in person and others whom still remain skype buddies due to distance but I also have great friends who live locally I met through real life activies and I think you need that balance. Having only online friends can in time become very isolating and lonely, being able to log off and go meet some other friends in great. If you are underage and talking to people online and want to meet PLEASE include your parents as you never know who it could really be even if you have skyped.

Relationship wise is dangerous. I met my now Fiancé online through other online friends and we lived in different countries, 3 years later we live together in same country and are getting married. Success for me but I know some friends who have entered into horrible relationships from online meetings so awareness of catfishes and letting people know who they are, what you know about them and your meeting plans before you go is essential!

Keep super safe and aware online guys :thumbsup:
    • I don't deny that people can get married and experience a real relationship out of something virtual, but I would never recommend it to anyone.
      First, you just don't know that person. You don't know if what they're telling you is true or if you're going on this emotional rollercoaster for someone who just enjoys toying with people's emotions.
      But if you're willing to take the risk, no one can stop you.

I guess that's the beauty of it.
      Silence;
      It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs.
    • It's more important to know what both parties expect from the relationship I think. Maybe they want to advance to the real bodied version of the virtual identity I think. Maybe they're just satisfied with the virtual character they both build up online and want to stay online I think. But emotions and feelings won't lie no matter what. I think.
    • I'm in a virtual relationship myself, I guess if you're patient enough and understanding enough.
      It takes two grown ups to make a relationship work, and I can't deny it really, that it's hard not having physical contact with
      your partner. But having a Virtual relationship makes you love that person emotionally, mentally, not physically.
      And you get to be independent with your life at the same time, it's like you have a partner but you shouldn't be really
      dependent to your partner all the time. You should live your own life too, if he does, why don't you?
      And I think it's easier to get emotionally connected with a virtual relationship. So yeah.
      Because there's no judgement only understanding.
      It's really hard to handle a virtual/long distance type of relationship because you need to be extra understanding to your partner,
      you have to exert extra effort, and be independent at the same time. So yeah. :)
      "For I am invisible in the crowd of strangers, will you ever see me in this unending sea of faceless people? Or will you too, ignore me and let me drown in this sorrow, and be forever tortured by solitude.."

• Some virtual relationships can work. Some can't. Almost always after a while, a virtual relationship ends up becoming serious. And then you find the person you thought was around you're age is actually 30-40 years of age.

Online virtual relationships always have one problem, you can't actually see if the person your dating is really who he/she says they are. And to anyone who is involved in an online virtual relationship, be careful.