Long distance relationships

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• Okay so, generally all advice that was posted on here before is applicable and definitely a way to view things. Heck, I've been in a long distance relationship myself for a bit over 1 1/2 years, Germany - US, so I know what's up.
      But quite honestly, having done that I wouldn't want to do it again. Don't get me wrong, I had the opportunity to, met a nice girl in Belgium a while after, but... let's face it, there are too many issues surrounding the whole thing, especially if you met her online (not in real life and then somebody had to move after a couple months or w/e). Attraction is built on multiple things, including physical contact. I know, as a young guy/girl you don't have a lot of experience (neither did I) so it doesn't matter, it's all about love yada yada. But still, after having done both, long distance and normal dating:
      Normal dating is infinitely better. And you know what? There is a ton of great girls/guys out there near you that you can date. It sucks having to turn down somebody you like, but if the logistics don't work out, is it really worth the trouble? (That's up to you to decide.)
      Know this though: even if you decide to leave it be and move on, someone else will always come around. As a guy all you need to do is literally man up and talk to girls you find attractive, out on the street, in the mall and and and...

(enough dating advice for this thread, if you need more make a new dedicated dating thread)
    • A lot of things that are parts of a relationship can't happen in something long distance.
      I'm not encouraging not trying your best to stay with this girl despite the distance, but he main thing is to, no matter what happens, try to keep some sort of bond with this person. You obviously like them a lot, just try not to lose them completely, whether you stay in a relationship or not.
      I mean in the main post you say you get to see her every month, or as much as you can, and that is awesome! But obviously you can't do this forever. Try and decide if either of you moving to be closer to each other is worth it. Is your relationship worth that much to you? I'm not trying to plant the seeds of doubt but it's important that you have your priorities.
      glory and gore go hand in hand
    • Everyone else have pretty much said what I wanted to advice you as I have been in a LDR myself. To be honest, I thought it would actually worked out for an immense amount of time especially when he was my best friend and I know him irl. Unfortunately, it only lasted for about 5 months. Long story short. I moved to NZ and felt vulnerable with my new surroundings.
      I couldn't visit home 'cause for reasons. That complicated our relationship or else it would've worked out if I have had return home and see him.
      I wrote "To return home" [meaning by my home country] on these large blackboards, titled "What do you wish for?" [Something like this because I can't recall now] at school. My friend didn't know and laughed at it, so that sorta broke me inside.
      Oh well. Before I get side tracked, it just didn't really work out in the end. I'm glad to have experienced it though.
      Welp. I do wish you luck :33
    • I'm in a LDR myself too, Me Philippines, him New York. We're both in college and I'm his senior, I'm 1 year older than him and have 2 years of college to go, while he still has 4 years to go.
      I guess all I can say is, constant communication and live on with your life independently.
      Make yourself grow and be passionate.
      Having a LDR, it's a type of relationship where it helps you be mature and decide for yourself.
      It makes you grow. I'm not saying you should not connect with her or anything, you do connect with her emotionally.
      It's this time a type of relationship makes you be yourself with a supporting partner at the side. :D
      I guess this is where you learn to be an adult and be mature. :D
      "For I am invisible in the crowd of strangers, will you ever see me in this unending sea of faceless people? Or will you too, ignore me and let me drown in this sorrow, and be forever tortured by solitude.."