The "Behind the scenes" of all the bros

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• Katie H wrote:

BitterSweet wrote:

However, there are not much job opportunities in my country, so I'm thinking about taking a master degree abroad or just living abroad after finishing my education. I'd love it to be an English-speaking country as I adore this language. :)

Now that I've been living for over a month in Germany, I can tell you that it's gonna be one of the best experiences of your life! ^^

It can also be very challenging, especially getting accustomed to another culture. There are lots of websites that give good advice, like this website called "Third Year Abroad". This site is mainly for people who are studying modern languages and are going abroad as part of their undergraduate degree, but I think a lot of the advice on there will be useful for you too :)

Wow, thank you so much! :D I'll definitely look into it. That's really nice of you. ^^
      Once, long ago in her world, a sunny day in spring was her favourite, but now a sunny day in winter delights her more. It is the perfect metaphor for their love.
      Sunshine on ice.
      She warms his frost. He cools her fever.

• want to hear the truth? here you go.

22, live in BKK, Thailand. Currently study in Master Degree of Information Engineering at UTCC. Still Pursuing a dream of becoming a youtuber (which currently have 600 subs now.... and still no partnership :( ). Unemployed (doing paperworks and sketchup designing at home). Currently trying to draw comic and write novels (which is slow progress) and currently ran into the wall on THESIS.
    • Really cool reading all your stories guys <3

Im a full time college student in Ireland. Im 2 years into a 3 year BA Honours degree in Human Resource Management. I commute from my home to Dublin every day and back again to my Fiancé and two Guinea Piggies. I want to work in retail management or HRM after college.

I work as a cleaner during the Summer and I am a childminder all year round on top of college. I do alot of work with Mental Health awareness and youth activism. I have been lucky enough to been able to share my experiences on radio and newspapers etc over the years. I feel very strongly about youth empowerment.

I write and read alot on my commute and then watch youtube in the evenings. I dont watch tv, I just follow a few series online like AHS, Walking Dead, Criminal Minds and such. Pewdiepie and Marzia are my favourites.
    • I'm from Finland, 18 years old and currently in my last year of upper secondary school (aka high school). I love studying languages and learning about different cultures; currently I'm learning French and Spanish (and Swedish but that's because I have to).

I have absolutely no idea what I'd like to go study after graduating from upper secondary school. One option for me is languages (and cultures) in university but I can't get a career by simply knowing different languages. For many years I wanted to be a translator (text or speech) but now I'm not so sure anymore. I think a job in a library would be kinda nice too since I love libraries. Studying abroad would be awesome but I don't think I have enough courage (or money) for that. I could also take a year off but I DON'T KNOW X/

My everyday life is nothing special; I go to school five days a week and on my free time I like to play video games, watch TV series (The Walking Dead, Supernatural, How I Met Your Mother, etc) and movies and do stuff online. I also love reading but I don't do it often enough. I rarely spend time with others, I usually prefer my own company over other people. Sometimes I might go somewhere with my friend(s) though.
    • kalaongelma wrote:

I'm from Finland, 18 years old and currently in my last year of upper secondary school (aka high school). I love studying languages and learning about different cultures; currently I'm learning French and Spanish (and Swedish but that's because I have to).

I have absolutely no idea what I'd like to go study after graduating from upper secondary school. One option for me is languages (and cultures) in university but I can't get a career by simply knowing different languages. For many years I wanted to be a translator (text or speech) but now I'm not so sure anymore. I think a job in a library would be kinda nice too since I love libraries. Studying abroad would be awesome but I don't think I have enough courage (or money) for that. I could also take a year off but I DON'T KNOW X/

My everyday life is nothing special; I go to school five days a week and on my free time I like to play video games, watch TV series (The Walking Dead, Supernatural, How I Met Your Mother, etc) and movies and do stuff online. I also love reading but I don't do it often enough. I rarely spend time with others, I usually prefer my own company over other people. Sometimes I might go somewhere with my friend(s) though.

You really should do what you really want to do. I'm 1st year in High School in Finland and I too don't know what I want to do in my future. If you like languages and you've been thinking about studying abroad and being translator, you just should do it. In today's world there's a lot of need for translators and a bit older Finnish people can't speak even English so our little country needs a lot of fresh blood for that job. I'm going to spend my whole 2nd year visiting different countries and learning cultures so I will someday know what is good job to me and what I'm good with. I'm too pretty good with languages (English, German, Swedish, and Finnish of course) but I don't think my future job needs good language knowledge but well who knows?
    • Hey, bros!
      I'm a student, probably like most of you. I don't particularly enjoy school. Once upon a time, I really liked it. This was probably during primary school, when it was new and interesting and pretty fun because it was too easy.
      I don't get very involved in extracurricular activities. I'm athletic, but I don't like sports. So I've never been on the football team or gotten into swimming. Up until this year, I've just been along for the ride.
      This year, I decided to take part in some activities. I'm a cellist, and I'm playing in the pit orchestra for our musical this year, Guys and Dolls, as well has taking a symphonic orchestra class for honors credit.
      In the future, I really hope to do something either as as a musician or as a mathematician. I'll either major in music and cello performance, or mathematics. The only problem is, I don't have that much time to decide which to go with.

I'm into animation, video editing and graphic art, as well, but those are really just hobbies that I love but don't see any future with because I don't have the guts to put myself out there.
    • Greetings, in case you can't read, I'm NeonNotes~
      I'm a 16yr old highschool student taking college level classes in America, but planning to study abroad in Italy when I go to college. I'm a straight-A student with a burning passion for languages and animal/human behavior, which inspires me to either become a English teacher (also abroad) or an ethologist (look it up).I love anime (as a lot of people here do), especially Hetalia, Drrr, and Watamote~. I play cello and guitar, and I also draw when I'm not doing work.
      I'm a math tutor up to Pre-Calculus... I'm a German club student and bake stuff to help raise money... and I'm part of the anime club at my school (I do nothing of importance here; it's my lazy day club).

I'm fucking amazing, and so are you~ We should hook up sometime~

Despite all of my perfection, my proudest achievement in my life so far has been not murdering anyone so far. Not even that bastard in my Guitar class who never gave me my pen back.
    • Whoa! Thrilled to hear so many of you love languages like I do! :D

Kalaongelma, that's correct, it's not just languages that employers are looking for. Many people start off with a job that doesn't involve using their languages directly after graduation. But language graduates are still really attractive to employers because of their transferable skills. Learning languages obviously develops your communication skills, and being able to translate from one language to another means you have a good command of both languages and how they are used. And going abroad enables you to develop loads of skills, like deepening your cultural understanding and adapting to a new environment.

And there are still plenty of jobs where languages are useful - anything multinational is gonna need people who know more than one language, so that the organisation can do business with people in countries all over the world. Some jobs will give you the opportunity to travel as well! The only thing is that jobs where you can really use your languages tend to be a bit hidden, which just means you have to take the initiative and be creative when looking for jobs. If you spend time looking at jobs websites of multinational companies, for instance, you might come across something interesting that you might not have found when typing "language jobs" straight into Google.

Oh, and NeonNotes: lending a boring Biro pen to someone rather than a good or expensive one will significantly reduce your temptation to kill them when they lose it! I've learnt this from my time in school ;)
    • Exactly why I'm considering teaching English abroad ^^ I really do wonder what those 'hidden' jobs are, though... Maybe it'd give me an excuse to not teach bratty kids XD in case of future reference I totally did not just say this

I'm not sure what kind of pen that is, but I'll be sure to find out so I can save myself some time instead of being required to go around my neighborhood warning people about why I might've went to jail XD
    • I'm Nickolay 20 from Bulgaria. I still live with my parents (mostly alone actually) my mother went to live in Spain and my father works alot so I'm mostly alone. I did almost 1 year of collage but I quit because I figured out that pc games is the only thing that made me happy so I decided to start a gaming youtube channel. I don't work anything but would probably have to start something soon because I don't want to be a burden to my father all life.
    • SilveredJRA, Katie H: Thank you for the encouraging words and for the advice :D Even though I'm not very confident in my skills or in my capability to improve my skills enough to actually translate anything understandably, it's still tempting to try and learn. I also want to expand the variety of languages for myself; I intend to start self-learning Italian soon and after I've learned it for a while I'll start working on the basics of Korean.

Studying languages after graduation is likely for me since I can't seem to think of anything else that would be interesting enough either. Going abroad would be a good thing for me because I'm not the kind of person who learns by studying grammar terms and cramming through textbooks; I need to hear it being used in real life and read real news articles etc, that's mostly how I learned English :) So I think I'll at least consider that (though money may still be a problem).
    • kalaongelma wrote:

So I think I'll at least consider that (though money may still be a problem).

I've just checked a list of countries participating in the Erasmus programme, and Finland is one of them!

I'm not sure how it works for people who aren't at university, but people from most universities in the UK who want to go abroad for a year, as part of their Modern Languages degree (in fact it's usually compulsory), are entitled to an Erasmus grant! It's not intended as something that you can live off, but it's something to help with the daily costs of living abroad.

I would take a look at the Erasmus site for how it works in your country - and the rules have changed slightly, now the programme is called "Erasmus +".
    • I'm in school for electronics. One day I hope I'll get in college, also for electronics and kinda do that for the rest of my life. Maybe it sounds boring but thats the dream. Since I live in the most shittiest, poorest and the most boring country ever, my goal is to move somewhere else, for example Greece, Sweden, Italy.. etc.. But I have a feeling it will never happen. Right now I'm just hoping to do well on tomorrows test on electrical measurements lol :3
      Doing stuff is so 12 hours ago.

• Hello, I'm a college graduate in ITSM (Information Technology Service Management), however, I don't have a job in that field...I work at a place called Reynolds & Reynolds in Texas :) I like it so far, but I can see it get kind of boring because it is the same things everyday. The motto is "Same shit different day.." lol.

I do want to say this is awesome this site is up :) I really like PewDiePie and his videos, I have started to get really addicted to them recently. I can watch his reactions with scary games that I don't have the cuts to try out myself :) I'm currently looking at the Corpse Party vids, that is maybe the one time I actually want a horror game, lol.
      :brofist: