What to do when you can't do anything ?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• You don't need a degree to get into the field you're talking about.

I started working straight out of high school in a Network Operations Center, as a Help Desk engineer. I've been working in a datacenter for six years now and I've slowly made my way up the tiers without a degree or IT certification (I would still recommend getting a couple). Start searching job sites (Monster, Indeed) for positions like, "Help Desk", "NOC Technician", "Datacenter Technician". You may not know anything about server hardware right now, but once you're thrown into the thick of it, you'll pick it up very easily.

If you would feel more comfortable getting an IT certification under you belt before job hunting, I highly recommend you look into studying for an A+ (server hardware), Net+ (network essentials), Sec+ (security essentials), or ITIL (IT service management). You can find licensed books for all of these on Amazon. These certifications are great for entry level IT professionals and definitely stand out on your resume. Once you get one of these basic certifications, you can start specializazing in certain fields, be it networking, security, database, Linux, Windows, etc. You can even luck out and get your certifications paid by your company. It's a win-win for both of you!

Good luck!
    • I don't want to sound harsh but I think you should really start working if you're not doing anything else. Any work is fine, just get to know how it's like. Unfortunately you can't just start living from the money you get by doing things you like. If the world would work like this everybody would be happy. Everyone starts little. Where do you want to get the money for opening a manga café? I think you have no idea how expensive it really is. That's why I would search for "serious" work first and when you have a stable income you could start on that café project along the way. And if that's successful, you can leave your old work. That's how I would do it.
      Don't take this the wrong way, it's only supposed to be a friendly suggestion.

Jedes Eichhörnchen ist auch ein Flughörnchen, wenn du es weit genug wirfst.
      Trickster
    • HellYeah0912 wrote:

Ronan wrote:

HellYeah0912 wrote:

Ronan wrote:

Herthes wrote:

^ Read the whole topic if possible. :3

Or just ignore my advice.

Lol so salty!

Well I didn't take the time out of my day to type that up and give some genuine advice just so I could pad my post count.

Well me neither (earlier on), but ya'll don't always get what you want now do ya!

That's true, but we're just talking common courtesy here. OP would rather quote someone to tell them that their advice is invalid rather than take the time to read and actually think about what's being said.
    • Ronan wrote:

HellYeah0912 wrote:

Ronan wrote:

HellYeah0912 wrote:

Ronan wrote:

Herthes wrote:

Lol so salty!

Well I didn't take the time out of my day to type that up and give some genuine advice just so I could pad my post count.

Well me neither (earlier on), but ya'll don't always get what you want now do ya!

That's true, but we're just talking common courtesy here. OP would rather quote someone to tell them that their advice is invalid rather than take the time to read and actually think about what's being said.

Welcome to my world where the whole world ignores you 0_0 *Curls into a ball in the corner of the room*
      cake <3
    • Isaiah_Draws wrote:

Ronan wrote:

HellYeah0912 wrote:

Ronan wrote:

HellYeah0912 wrote:

Ronan wrote:

Herthes wrote:

Lol so salty!

Welcome to my world where the whole world ignores you 0_0 *Curls into a ball in the corner of the room*

Haha, thanks for the welcome. I'm not gonna be sticking around though - I'll take ya with me.
    • dont worry herthes... it will all end up well if you keep your spirits up!! :) :) :brofist: dont forget we bros all stick together and when were feeling down we can always look at pewdiepies videos to make us feel better :3 we can also rely on one another as family because thats what felix arvid ulf kjellberg would want... wanna know something that would make you feel better? get a bag of potato chips or doritos and maybe icecream and some coca cola or pepsi and watch some videos from pewds! watch the broken podcasts (which is what i do when i feel down) and just enjoy the moment while it lasts... listening to mitiS calms me down easily and just relax and have a night to yourself! stay up late and have fun! dont be afraid anymore because you may not know it but... theres bros all around you that are wating to meet someone like you out there! from when we last talked in the brochat you were a pretty awesome person!!!! but until then heres a brofist from me to you... good luck herthes and never forget... when i say this, i say this to all the bros out there in an exact situation youre in... until then brofist!!! :brofist: :brofist: :brofist: :pewdie:
      Images
      • picture002.jpg

129.33 kB, 1,280×720, viewed 94 times
    • HellYeah0912 wrote:

Ronan wrote:

Isaiah_Draws wrote:

Ronan wrote:

HellYeah0912 wrote:

Ronan wrote:

HellYeah0912 wrote:

Ronan wrote:

Herthes wrote:

Lol so salty!

Haha, thanks for the welcome. I'm not gonna be sticking around though - I'll take ya with me.

Looks like somebody got noticed by senpai!

Lol SENPAI noticed me *_*
      cake <3
    • Where I live there are so many people even older than you who are starting to study with the 15 years olds to get a degree and I don't see any problem.
      I live in Switzerland where you can follow a school and work formation (like 4 days you actually work and learn the job and 1 day you go to school and learn some crazy stuff like logarithms) and you get paid.
      burn baby, burn.
    • Well I actually know that in switerzland you can do this in computers things (a friend is doing it atm).. but in France can't really do a formation with working.

When I said " read the whole topic " imo I was actually speaking about my last post, because you're both saying me to seek for work and stuff.. but I just said that I've FOUND a formation that is being paid and I can get a degree for it so.. yea.. aren't it exactly what you're saying ? :D

anyways, stay awesome :3
      Standing alone doesn't mean I'm alone, It means i'm strong enought to handle things all by myself.