(working title video game) game testers

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• (working title video game) game testers

As I have made mention of in my introduction thread, I am wanting to make video games.

I am currently working on creating a video game, right now I am just working on the story itself. But as i learn how to do things, I plan to do the majority of the code work myself, because honestly, i cant afford to hire coders at the moment. Honestly the only part i will actually need help on is the artistic side of the story, for i can not draw well enough for this game, I plan to compose music myself, although I might ask others to play music so I can record live music as opposed to only using a music program(which now that i think about it can be used in the gameplay/story as an important element of things...yay for random ideas appearing at random moments...sorry about that outburst)

But onto why i am posting here

at some point, I will need game testers.

I dont want everyone to be a game tester, because I will need to read through their comments and so forth.

The game testers will receive a free copy of the game, and probably some sort of soundtrack of the music. and maybe some of commentary I will put together, that I talk about different elements of the game and so forth.

The game itself is an old-school RPG with turn based combat, like in Final Fantasy for example.

It will most likely be a sprite based game, but with some gorgeous sprites I hope.

I will do...something...to make gameplay unique and stand out, I won't say just what that will be, partially because I haven't QUITE figured it out how the gameplay will flow quite yet.

But I hope there are some of you guys that would be interested in helping out with this.

I would like people who play RPG's more than just a little bit, because thats going to be the kind of game it is.

So whenever you get a chance send me a message, or just reply here on this board and we can talk.

Also game testers will be mentioned in credits, because that stuff is important too.
    • Hey, I'd love to help you out with this project. In fact, I have a background as a software tester already (2 years experience, plus the experience that comes with testing your own code outside of automated spec tests). The only problem is that I have a Mac. If that's not a problem, great! If it is, I'll try getting Windows 7 up and running again. If I can get it working on Boot Camp or in a VM, wonderful. If not, you'll have to let me know what I can do to help. I may also be able to help with some of the coding or graphics. I wouldn't expect much, if any, compensation beyond what is promised to testers.

Anyway, let me know what you want, and I'll see what I can do. Even if I don't get to test directly, I can be a very valuable resource in other ways. Just ask me what I can do (based on what you're looking for), and I'll see what I can do.

By the way, guidelines for a good bug report:

1. Write down the situation.
      2. Give the steps you take to replicate the problem. This generally means you have to go back and get the bug to happen the same way at least three times in order to prove it's not just a fluke.
      3. State what you expected to happen.
      4. State what actually happened.

If there's any other relevant information, add it. Sometimes it might even be as specific as having a certain item in your inventory when doing something. This is what makes game testing especially tough - the number of different factors that affect the outcome.
      [Insert witty signature here]
    • I am sorry i was not completely clear initially

This is currently a concept I have, and i am wanting to gather a team together, before i dive in alone.

I have the basic gist of the story outlined, it remains for me to begin to flesh out events.

I also have concepts for how I want the game to play, but I need to develop more programming knowledge before I tackle them.

If some of you want to help in other aspects of the game, such as music or art, i would more than welcome that help.

This game won't be released fully for some time to be honest, but the more people I have helping the quicker i can get this out.