Slow motion !

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• Slow motion !

hey guys,

Ok so I'm going to try and keep this question short.
    At the moment I'm trying to make a slow motion cinematic shots from battlefield 3 and 4. Basically like slow motion knife etc.
    I'm having a problem when editing. For the slow motion I'm using Twixtor and Premiere Pro, but every time I apply the slow motion its just laggy and its not smooth its like its missing frames.

It looks more like a slide show rather than slow motion :D
    Any idea what I'm doing wrong ?

Thanks for your help.
    Also want to add that my gameplay was recorded using Fraps and I was getting around 45 - 60 fps so I think that should be enough ?
  • 45-60 is nowhere near enough. For absolute basic slow motion, you want 150-200. For basic slow motion, you want to be looking for 300-500 fps. For better slow motion, 800-1000+.

I'm going to assume you don't know what "slow motion" actually does. Please don't take offence if you do.
    Slow motion basically takes the frames and spreads them out across a longer time. For example, if you have 60 frames in one seconds and slowed it down to 50%, it would become 30 frames in one seconds, totalling 60 frames in TWO seconds.

tl;dr: Slow motion is a bad idea unless your computer is overkill as heck.

EDIT: Try turning vSync off. If you hit 150-200FPS, try making that slow motion then applying frame blending.
  • Pretty much what pomeranian said. The more frames you record the more you can slow down your footage. Tho the numbers what he listed are bit overkill for pc game. Those are more frame guidelines for stuff you shoot with real cameras.

Here's little example to give some sort of idea. I recently shot scene for my latest airsoft video with 120fps to slow it down. I dropped playback from 1.0 to 0.25, so it was straight up 30fps basicly. Here's the resault:
    youtube.com/watch?v=x4BOAU_xi-8
    Its the first scene with person swiping the floor. Rest of the video was shot in 30fps.

Tbh I dont see any point even trying to record game footage with over 200fps max. Simply due the fact the models propably arent even animated that smoothly. I havent looked into it so dont take my word as truth.
  • Hey,

Many of the users responding do not understand what twixtor is, or what it does. (For those who want to know more, click here )

As far as why you are having issues with twixtor, I am not sure, considering I have not purchased that software. I use a free alternative called slowmoVideo . This alternative has worked pretty well for me in the past, once you get a hang of its GUI. I would certainly recommend using this software instead, you just need to play with its features to understand how it is used.

Hope this helps,

- smk730
    *Insert really clever signature here*