liquid cooling

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• liquid cooling

Hello I had some questions about liquid cooled Computers so im just going to ask.
      • I want to liquid cool my CPU and GPU. Do I need two systems or do they come in sets? Is it even possible to do?

• I know that there are different kinds of systems.what are they? what are the benefits.

• How much will it cost and is it safe? The last thing i want is a water-damaged computer.

Is there anything else i should look into or know?

Thanks
    • Actually, you CAN put a liquid cooler on a GPU, it just voids your warranty. So don't :D As far as water cooling systems, if you have two 120mm fan slots next to each other, buy the corsair h100i CPU water cooler. The performance is fantastic, keeps the CPU nice and cool. Has 3 separate fan settings, so you can change noise of CPU under different circumstances. The h100i is currently 100$. If you don't want to invest that much, check out other water cooling systems from corsair. While there are other water cooling companies, I strongly recommend corsair in all of their products. they are quite a reliable brand. It is quite safe, as long as you know what your're doing on installation and take care of the system properly throughout the years.

- smk730
      *Insert really clever signature here*
    • Well, you COULD go with water cooling, but installation is dangerous, and I would recommend it only to experienced computer builders. Also, certain systems only work with certain cards, so I would not recommend it. If your card is old/cheap, oftentimes those kind of GPUs are very loud. If you want to get a quieter GPU, buy a newer/more expensive card. There may be other alternatives, but that would be the one I recommend. If the GPU is super loud, there may be a problem with the fan system on the card. If you are not comfortable making more difficult computer modifications, just get a new card.

- Sam
      *Insert really clever signature here*
    • A water cooler for GPU's is veeery expensive, cause they're mostly customized for specific GPU's i recommend a passive cooler if there are any for your GPU. When you're not overclocking it should work fine when you have the right cooler.
    • Personally on all three of my computer builds. Only one has a GPU water cooling system. I used to have just a CPU cooler for my i7. Then I got a customized water loop when I still had my 2 GTX 690's. The water blocks for those were around $150 and I had to get two so it was around $300. Then when I switched out my GTX 690's for the R9 290x's the water cooling blocks on those were around $130 and I got two of those for both of my R9 290x's so in total I paid around $260. Although this all did cost a lot. Once I got the custom water loop hooked up to every component. I did some massive tweaking and experimenting. At the end I got my i7 to overclock to 5.1 GHz. It took a long time but it was pretty satisfying once I got it done. And the water loop was very helpful when it came to keeping the temperature in a safe idle range. I am still working on getting a nice stable overclock on my GPU though. So if you're looking for JUST a CPU cooler I would go with the Corsair H100i. It's a very good cooler at a very good price. That's the one I had before I got the custom water loop. It did an awesome job even on my higher overclocks.
    • man42 wrote:

Thanks I have another question. My Graphics card is Very loud is there a alternative method of cooling i can use for it.

Well first of all remove as much dust as possible with compressed air and when thats done then download GPU-Z and check what fan speed is set to and see if its really needed. For example if its 50 degrees and fan speed is set to 80% you can lower it to 60% with MSI Afterburner, actually just download that instead, it shows the same info just not as clear in my opinion.

If its still loud then it is possible to change your cooler on the graphics card to for example an Artic Cooling Acellero cooler but make sure it fits your graphics card. NZXT Kraken G10 is an watercooling attatchment that you can put an normal CPU Watercooler onto which is pretty cool.
      nope
    • Don't let you temps to low!

Please note that you should never let you CPU an GPU hit below 27c If they get to cold they will slow down in performance, CPU's and GPU's are made up of billions of transistors and they will need to be slightly worm as well to work. Over clocking only boosts your performance by 30% or 10% Just leave as if it is working well, and no problems.
    • killhead98 wrote:

Please note that you should never let you CPU an GPU hit below 27c If they get to cold they will slow down in performance, CPU's and GPU's are made up of billions of transistors and they will need to be slightly worm as well to work. Over clocking only boosts your performance by 30% or 10% Just leave as if it is working well, and no problems.

False.

The liquid helium used in the video is -452.2 degrees Fahrenheit. Temperatures that extreme can cause problems called "cold bugs" but they cause the entire system to fail/blue screen, not slow down. Unless you are cooling your system with liquid helium you will never have to worry about your computer being affected by temperatures that are too low.

The post was edited 1 time, last by SnapperDoobie ().