Certain pieces of gear?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• Certain pieces of gear?

Hi!

So, this Christmas, my parents got me a gaming pc (I know this because I saw the big box arrive saying what was inside it xD). However, My parents also wanna know what other tech I wanted since they know I do YouTubing, and they know I do gaming now. So here are some options I have chosen, I just don't know if its good or not. I'm hoping you might know, Here's some of the stuff:

• Razer Naga Laser Molten Special Edition
      • Logitech G510s Gaming keyboard
      • Blue Microphone Snowball iCE USB Cardioid Microphone
      • BenQ 21 inch LED monitor

Could anyone tell me if these are good or not please?
      Most of my family (Including aunts uncles etc) wanted to chip in with this and asked me to create a list, so here's the list.
      Thanks
      WILBSO

Display Spoiler
      I went outside once. Once.....

• Razer mouses are usually fine to go with. Are you a huge MMORPG player that you need those buttons though?

I wasn't really a fan of logitech keyboards, Im unsure if you're a mechanical keyboard user though. Same question about the razer mouse though.

Blue microphones aren't that great IMO! Yes, the blue ICE is decently priced but I'd recommend one of the ones Im planning to get which are the ATR2500 or the Samson C01U. I had the blue yeti but I returned it because it's not that great quality for $150.

As for the monitor, it doesn't really matter. I buy whatever monitors are cheapest and biggest and never had an issue with that!

See you ;)!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Taiga ().

• Taiga wrote:

Razer mouses are usually fine to go with. Are you a huge MMORPG player that you need those buttons though?

I wasn't really a fan of logitech keyboards, Im unsure if you're a mechanical keyboard user though. Same question about the razer mouse though.

Blue microphones aren't that great IMO! Yes, the blue ICE is decently priced but I'd recommend one of the ones Im planning to get which are the ATR2500 or the Samson C01U. I had the blue yeti but I returned it because it's not that get quality for $150.

As for the monitor, it doesn't really matter. I buy whatever monitors are cheapest and biggest and never had an issue with that!

See you ;)!
      Thanks! The rest of the equipment I think is good, but i was worried about when you mentioned the Samson C01U because its an old(ish) mic, (Dates back to 2009 :S). Is it any good then? I looked at the quality of the snowball and it sounds pretty good, but I also looked at the Samson C01U and it sounds like a good mic too! I can't decide xD

Thanks for the info though!
      WILBSO

Display Spoiler

• wilbso wrote:

Taiga wrote:

Razer mouses are usually fine to go with. Are you a huge MMORPG player that you need those buttons though?

Blue microphones aren't that great IMO! Yes, the blue ICE is decently priced but I'd recommend one of the ones Im planning to get which are the ATR2500 or the Samson C01U. I had the blue yeti but I returned it because it's not that get quality for $150.

See you ;)!
      Thanks! The rest of the equipment I think is good, but i was worried about when you mentioned the Samson C01U because its an old(ish) mic, (Dates back to 2009 :S). Is it any good then? I looked at the quality of the snowball and it sounds pretty good, but I also looked at the Samson C01U and it sounds like a good mic too! I can't decide xD

Thanks for the info though!
      There's a lot of microphones out there and it's all about preference. The Samson C01U may be old, but about a year ago that's actually what Pewdiepie was using and didn't realize a difference till I noticed his AT2020. I'm just not a fan of blue products since I feel that it makes my voice a little higher and louder, I prefer a lower and crisp voice. I'm sorta just debating between the ATR2500 and the Samson C01U and even the M-Audio Avid studio since they're all in the $50-60 price range on amazon.

As for the keyboard, how much are you paying for it?

See you ;)!
    • The Blue Snowball Mic will be fine if you are wanting to just record YouTube vids! It has great specs and is well wirth it for the price!

Just really depends on whether you want to spend money on a better mic and then a DAW to plug the mic into! :P

Kblender :)
      <-- "This Is Basically Me And Everyone On This Forums! :D" - Kblender

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0" - T-Shirt
    • The stuff you have listed there seems good to me. Opinions on computer peripherals vary greatly depending on who you talk to. I have always been a fan of Razer and Logitech, so I would generally recommend both of those companies if you have the money for it. As far as your microphone goes, I do think that the blue snowball is a good mic. While I personally have a different preference, many people swear by the Blue Snowball.

Regarding monitor size, I always find bigger to be better in this scenario, well at least to a certain extent. I use a 27 inch monitor, and I have absolutely no complaints. I would recommend checking out the refresh rate of the monitor, because that is a large factor in gaming for many users.

Here is what I would suggest:

As far as microphones go, I have recently added the Zoom H4n to my setup, and I am quite pleased with the results. The great thing about the Zoom H4n is the fact that it is very commonly used for audio in many videos made by large youtubers. The quality is great, and it serves a dual purpose, due to the fact that many people mount the zoom onto a dslr or other video recording devices if they want to make a non-gaming video, while it can also be used pretty seamlessly with any gaming setup via USB.

For headsets, as I have mentioned in previous posts, steer clear of Turtle beaches. The cord is the achilles heel in their products, as it twists and breaks over time, degrading the audio quality. I have just purchased Razer Carcharias, which should be arriving shortly. I have done a bit of research on them, and they seem to be a great option for gaming headsets.

On the subject of keyboards, I would strongly recommend venturing into the mechanical keyboard category. While mechanical keyboards are a bit heavier and more expensive, the quality and durability of a mechanical keyboard really pays off for users who do a lot of typing/gaming. There are many types of "switches' for mechanical keyboards, so I strongly suggest doing your research before making a buy.

As I mentioned above, I would go for a bit bigger of a monitor, if you end up having some extra cash in the future.

I have written most of this stuff up for you as a guide for future purchases, considering it is already the 23rd :P . But, a computer setup can constantly be improved, and you will find what works for you best as you go through that upgrading process.

I wish you the best of luck with your channel, and your computer build.

- smk730
      *Insert really clever signature here*
    • smk730 wrote:

The stuff you have listed there seems good to me. Opinions on computer peripherals vary greatly depending on who you talk to. I have always been a fan of Razer and Logitech, so I would generally recommend both of those companies if you have the money for it. As far as your microphone goes, I do think that the blue snowball is a good mic. While I personally have a different preference, many people swear by the Blue Snowball.

Regarding monitor size, I always find bigger to be better in this scenario, well at least to a certain extent. I use a 27 inch monitor, and I have absolutely no complaints. I would recommend checking out the refresh rate of the monitor, because that is a large factor in gaming for many users.

Here is what I would suggest:

As far as microphones go, I have recently added the Zoom H4n to my setup, and I am quite pleased with the results. The great thing about the Zoom H4n is the fact that it is very commonly used for audio in many videos made by large youtubers. The quality is great, and it serves a dual purpose, due to the fact that many people mount the zoom onto a dslr or other video recording devices if they want to make a non-gaming video, while it can also be used pretty seamlessly with any gaming setup via USB.

For headsets, as I have mentioned in previous posts, steer clear of Turtle beaches. The cord is the achilles heel in their products, as it twists and breaks over time, degrading the audio quality. I have just purchased Razer Carcharias, which should be arriving shortly. I have done a bit of research on them, and they seem to be a great option for gaming headsets.

On the subject of keyboards, I would strongly recommend venturing into the mechanical keyboard category. While mechanical keyboards are a bit heavier and more expensive, the quality and durability of a mechanical keyboard really pays off for users who do a lot of typing/gaming. There are many types of "switches' for mechanical keyboards, so I strongly suggest doing your research before making a buy.

As I mentioned above, I would go for a bit bigger of a monitor, if you end up having some extra cash in the future.

I have written most of this stuff up for you as a guide for future purchases, considering it is already the 23rd :P . But, a computer setup can constantly be improved, and you will find what works for you best as you go through that upgrading process.

I wish you the best of luck with your channel, and your computer build.

- smk730
      Thanks for the detailed info! I will keep this info in mind for when I update my setup in the future!
      WILBSO

Display Spoiler