Alienware - opinions?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• Alienware - opinions?

Hi guys. I've been looking for a new laptop recently which would suit gaming purposes. And I stumbled upon alienware. I found some shops' opinions about it and some forums, but I don't trust it very much since many companies have people to write commentaries for them.

I don't know anyone using alienware. Are there any people here who has it? Is it worth it's price? What are pluses and minuses of it? Are there any other good laptops in more reasonable prices? (I know laptops and games don't exactly mix together but I don't have enough space for a desktop).

Thx.
    • I bought one a few years ago before I knew much about PC's and honestly, I do not believe they deserve as much hate as they receive, yes they are "overpriced" but every single pre-built out there is compared to building your own. Now, as you say your are on a low(er) budget, I recommend Acer or ASUS based off of my previous experience with them.

I'll look into finding a Laptop for around 500 USD, along with this, I am guessing you are from the U.S. (not trying to be a creep, but different websites sell to different countries).

EDIT: as one last question, do you have a laptop screen size preference or no?

The post was edited 1 time, last by Fruken'Fracker ().

• Good god do not buy alienware. You're paying for a fancy case and that little alien logo. The price for that being about $1000.
      If you must buy prebuilt, go for Samsung or Asus. (Two brand's I've never have problems with, I use laptops due to no room too.) Dell-Built to break, unless you know how to maintain them very well. Acer-Cheapcheapcheap parts, very overpriced for what you get. Lenovo-Anything to low-mid is cheap, anything past that is expensive.

Hope this helps :)
      So uh. I write
    • If there is any way for you to make space for a desktop you should definitely get one, if not I still wouldn't recommend it you're basically overpaying hundreds and hundreds, sometimes even thousands of dollar just because of the brand name, there are much better laptops for a MUCH lower price.
    • this might help

hey I'am having the exact same problem as you are. One of my friends has an alienware and he lives on a boat. So that means salt air (which electronics do not do good in) spills and drops even though i know he hasn't droped it or spilled somthing on it stuff happens. He has had his for 5 years now and its still going. Now if i understand you are getting a laptop so therefore you need the biggest video card and lots of RAM/memory. But also they are around 6 pounds and kind of bulky but their's alot of power packing in it so overall its worth. I can't really help you out with desktops but i have heard that lots of complaints with their desktops but don't take my word for it. I hope this helps. If you do get a laptop me know how it works because i am going to get one but not for a little while. good luck :) also if you want to play amne the dark descent make sure you DO NOT HAVE A INTEL VIDEO/GRAPHICS CARD cause it doesn't work.
    • sailor_trash55 wrote:

hey I'am having the exact same problem as you are. One of my friends has an alienware and he lives on a boat. So that means salt air (which electronics do not do good in) spills and drops even though i know he hasn't droped it or spilled somthing on it stuff happens. He has had his for 5 years now and its still going. Now if i understand you are getting a laptop so therefore you need the biggest video card and lots of RAM/memory. But also they are around 6 pounds and kind of bulky but their's alot of power packing in it so overall its worth. I can't really help you out with desktops but i have heard that lots of complaints with their desktops but don't take my word for it. I hope this helps. If you do get a laptop me know how it works because i am going to get one but not for a little while. good luck :) also if you want to play amne the dark descent make sure you DO NOT HAVE A INTEL VIDEO/GRAPHICS CARD cause it doesn't work.

Nice lying skills.

Seriously? Who would believe that your friend lives on a god damn boat?

Anyways, Don't buy alienware, thats god damn expensive, so I would recommend getting a Samsung or Asus.

The post was edited 1 time, last by EnforcerKiller ().

• When it comes to gaming laptops, this is a hard topic to talk about!

With the little options available for gaming laptops out there, the most obvious option is to go with an Alienware, Razor laptop as they have specs aimed for enthusiast gamers and for people wanting performance in games!

Then there are people who dont like these brands as you do basically pay for their "label" even though you still get great performance from the components that these brand throw into their laptops and such!

Your only other option is to try and find a different brand of laptop that has comparable specs to these gaming laptops and go with that choice if you don't want to go along with being "branded" with a "gaming" laptop!

If it was me, I would try my best to find a better or equivalent laptop that isn't a "gaming branded" one! However, I may become lazy or it may become too hard to find a different brand of laptop and then I would personally buy a "gaming branded" laptop!

I mean, it really isn't that bad to own one but for some reason people have a thing with them (me included)! XD

My advice would be:

If you are too lazy to hunt around for different computers with the same or better specs, go with a gaming pc! If you need help on finding a gaming laptop that meets your needs, pms me and I will be happy to help you! :)

If you aren't lazy and are not wanting to buy a "gaming" laptop, then look at various other laptops and find specs that compare to the Alienware or Razer etc laptops!

This is just my opinion anyway! If you need any additional help, don't be afraid to pms me with any further questions

Thanks! :D

Kblender :)

EDIT: Just saw your budget was 500... As that is the case, your only option is to try your best and find a good speced laptop! If you are finding it hard, pms me and I will be happy to help you out! :)
      <-- "This Is Basically Me And Everyone On This Forums! :D" - Kblender

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0" - T-Shirt