Promoting yourself

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• Promoting yourself

Hey bros.

Few weeks ago I started making YouTube videos, showing off a few indie games and such. I am not here to advertise myself, although the title may make you think like it. Before you start wondering why am I coming here from, apparently, nowhere making a post in this community, I will let you know that I watch "Pudi" since he had 2 million subscribers, so I`m not a bot, I just don`t like interacting too much with his fanbase knowing most of them are little whiney angry fan-kids that make Pudi look bad.

Anyway, the reason I am here is to ask other "YouTubers" a question about when they were also starting: Did you advertised yourself widely? I mean posting on your Facebook wall, on twitter, gaming communities, other channels etc. The reason why I`m asking this is because I have only shown my channel personally to a few close friends, but the first time I openly shared one of my videos on my Facebook wall, a few dislikes popped up.

So that`s why I`m asking. Did this disliking behaviour happened to you too when you first started out and were sharing your videos with a larger public? I`m assuming most of them are haters/trolls but I wanted to know if this is an usual tendacy when you first start putting your videos out there on YouTube.

It doesn`t really bother me too much but it makes me wonder what really determined them to dislike, did they really not like my videos? I mean I`m having fun recording and getting ideas for editing but it just makes me wonder if I should pay attention to dislikes or they are just haters I should ignore.

So yeah, opinions?

P.S: You are now probably wondering what my videos look like since I`m asking questions like these. The reason I`m not posting a link to my channel is because I don`t really want people to subscribe to me just because "poor guy, let me subscribe so he will feel better" and not even watch/enoy the videos I do, or "let me dislike too because I`m evil". Anyone who has put a single video out there and got a "random sub" knows too well how awesome it feels compared to when you ask people to subscribe, so if you really want to see my channel mention it and I will send you a simple link to it and from there on it`s up to you.
  • zeta wrote:

I shared one of my videos on Reddit, and got two dislikes, but also two subscribers. I would not advertise anywhere, I'd just wait for subscribers to come.

And yeah, just ignore every dislike you get. I hate the button and would delete it if I could.
    Yes, that`s right. Best case scenario you also get a subscriber or two besides the dislikes if you advertise publicy. Common case scenario: You only get dislikes.

And you can actually disable ratings on your videos, but that is mostly used when a video gets tons of dislikes and the owner wants to hide that. To be honest I would very much prefeer just having some sort of like button and a counter for how many likes the video received. Or atleast something similar because this way it would actually encourage people to actually share the criticism instead of just disliking all your videos. Plus, if they find it just as easy to swear instead of disliking your videos it`s still easier for you to remove the offensive comment than "repairing" the likes count.
  • I am up to ten subscribers, half of those came way back earlier this year when I tried running a let's play on Bioshock Infinite. After that failed, (Lack of time and bad depression) I told myself to try it again. I haven't advertised very many places, mainly this place with my sig and a few other personal sites, but it seems it just takes time for others to find you. Like people have said before, it takes a considerable strike of luck.
  • A little of the same

Hey,

I've had a similar thing happen on some of my videos. I did promote my channel through forums, reddit and the like, but I tried hard to also be apart of those communities as well before I posted. I do have an honest interest in improving my videos and growing and part of the way I think this will happen is by being at least somewhat active giving help to receive it. With all that said though, I think you will always have people who will dislike something instead of like it, just because they can. I try not to pay much attention to likes or dislikes in general, mainly because its not constructive criticism anyways. I pay more attention to comments and feedback I receive that lay out why someone likes or don't likes a video, because those types of things can be taken and used to improve what I'm putting out.

But, to get to the point, yeah I've had people dislike just to dislike. What it comes down to though, do you or me or any of else really look at the likes and dislikes on video channels we watch on a regular basis anyways? I know I don't! And if you're having fun doing it, like anything else in life, other people will have fun watching it!

Anyways, my two cents!
  • I didn't promote myself so far. At least not in form of self advertising in a comment section of a big youtuber. All I did was to post about a song or two I did and it was about a topic of the scp community, so it was at least fitting. :) I mean there are good ways to encourage people to take a look at your content and of course annoying stick it up someones throat ways to do it. xD

You know what youtube should do to encourage writing useful comments? How about you need to write a comment in order to dislike. And then seperate comments into 2 categories. Comments and dislike comments. I know you can't see someone dislike a video, because youtube wants to protect the fact of being anonymous, but so far it only helps to encourage disliking videos someone simply wants to sabotage. Why would someone give a dislike unless he really is offended by the content or that it just has extreme poor quality anyway?
  • I don't really advertise, but I do link my to my channel in my forum signatures so people who like what I write can go an see what else I do if their interested. I post a lot in critique threads as well as it gets valuable feedback as well to help improve my work.

I have a twitter account which tweets my videos but I never noticed any benefit from it, perhaps my best advertisements have been from video features, I had a video get picked for user movie of the week on Gametrailers once which brought me in a fair few subs so I go in for feature challenges when I can.

^My game/film documentary/review series... check it out!
  • I don't see why sharing it with family & close friends on facebook and/or twitter would hurt.
    Something that will damage your reputation and channel though, is advertising on others videos. Instant 100 dislikes and flagged as spam.

Personally I don't mind people sending me PM's about their channel as long as they make it a bit personal instead of just a copy paste message. But I don't think that is something you should do either. IT CAN help, I know that for a fact as I've seen 10+ channels sending me a message and they have 10k+ subs and no dislikes... but still, miiiiiiight be risky.
    Minecraft & more - youtube.com/Andrekvit
  • The problem with Gaming channels is that you are one in several million so making yourself stand out is very difficult. Places like Social Networks, They are updating so fast and no one can see your videos.

I guess the only thing to do is to wait for that moment. Or send your videos to people. But that gets mixed reviews
    We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
    http://www.youtube.com/MrFozziethomas
  • I'm just mad I won't be able to compete in Shoutout because I don't have enough subs.
    I'm so angry cause I was so close, I have 92 currently...
    Seeing all these channels, guys having six videos, no facecam, no commentary and having more than 600 subs...
    It really pisses me of... It makes me feel like I'm working hard for nothing.
    I know it's supposed to be 4fun, but how can it be fun when there is no people to watch my videos and people to talk to?
    RatedK4Kilo

Making videos daily!

• advertising

i wouldnt advertise on facebook... unless its only in specific gaming groups and stuff like that... or youre pretty much spamming your friends... or at least thats how i would feel... i only advertise on twitter specifically for my channel... not connected to my own twitter... and use tags so people that are looking at things like #megaman will see your stuff... so in short... put it in places that people can find it if they look for it... plenty of people look at random tags and stuff on twitter... so youre not shoving it in their face... thats my take on it
    Want to see some noob youtube videos? tell me what i do wrong!

youtube.com/ging3rfury
    twitter.com/@ging3rfury

:thumbup:
  • RatedK4Kilo wrote:

I'm just mad I won't be able to compete in Shoutout because I don't have enough subs.
    Seeing all these channels, guys having six videos, no facecam, no commentary and having more than 600 subs...
    I know it's supposed to be 4fun, but how can it be fun when there is no people to watch my videos and people to talk to?

Well, do some research about how to increase your videos ranking and how to optimize your tags, description, title etc etc etc.
  • ExxtraDeuce wrote:

RatedK4Kilo wrote:

I'm just mad I won't be able to compete in Shoutout because I don't have enough subs.

Well, do some research about how to increase your videos ranking and how to optimize your tags, description, title etc etc etc.

Rated4kilo exists for like a month now. He is doing pretty well and he already said he's getting a lot of support. I think he's doing well and he shouldn't be angry for not being able to be in the competition. And I bet pewds won't chose a channel with poor quality and some dead subscribers over someone, who is really into his own channel. ;)
  • He has really been going for only a month?! O.o I would check but I am a lazy git :P But yeah, I didn't even get that level of subs in a year. I think I only had about 50-55 after 1 year with my last channel ;( It hurts to put so much effort into a channel for such a long time and get nothing out of it, especially when the ending of that channel was due to a load of guys from my school just ripping the fun out of my channel by taking the piss, disliking (thumbs down) and just generally going on and on and on about videos when they were being complete derps. It didn't bother me to much but it was the fact they didn't shut up. What they said, however, made me want to do it more and start up a new channel. Still don't have even 50 subs in a month. He really shouldn't moan... -_- When he doesn't get that in several years and gets bullied out of wanting to use his first channel, then he can cry to me :)
    Check me out on YouTube! EternityStubbers! goo.gl/8Wjr3A If you like my videos hit the thumbs up button and SUBSCRIBE! It's Free!
  • Lyrahel wrote:

Rated4kilo exists for like a month now. He is doing pretty well and he already said he's getting a lot of support. I think he's doing well and he shouldn't be angry for not being able to be in the competition. And I bet pewds won't chose a channel with poor quality and some dead subscribers over someone, who is really into his own channel.
    Well, I guess you are right, but it's called being ambitious. As I'm closing onto 100 subs I would love to have 200...
    And when I get 200 I will want to have 500... I know there are people making videos for over a year and still not getting a 100 subs, but as you get bigger you always want more, it's a human nature... btw my channel is almost 2 months old now... :)
    RatedK4Kilo

Making videos daily!

• I didn`t really wanted to engange that much into this discussion but the responses have been way more numerous than I expected. It`s interesting to read everyone`s experiences.

I want to keep making videos and it`s hella fun when I come up with the finished product. The best part is when I have all my raw footage and get all these crazy funny ideas about how to make a funny edit. It is hard work afterall, especially for a person like me that is hard on themselfs on everyday basis.

The best satisfaction you get out of this is seeing people react, enjoy and appreciate your work, and it`s kind of dissappointing early on when you have funny ideas for your videos but there is basically not alot of people to let you know they do like your work.

As a side note I think there is a very thin line between having fun + being active and simply realising you need to re-think your work. And related to the Pudi promoting contest, you have to appreciate it because I see alot other popular YouTubers that don`t give a sh*t about their viewers or don`t really interact with them. If I was more old into this video making I may have participated but considering I only have 17 subscribers I couldn`t anyway. And there is this another thing: I don`t really want to advertise myself because I think it`s unprofessional, I mean did famous and hardworking YouTubers including PewDie got famous because they advertised themselfs? No, I don`t think so. That`s the paradox: I don`t feel worthy enough to advertise/promote myself.