If you had to pick one: Outlast or Amesia: Machine for Pigs?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• For now I say Outlast. I just finished it. it's very scary. Plus it's the first horror game to make me scream.

I'll play AMFP next and then I'll compare it to Outlast :D
      Work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder
      Make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better
      Do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster
      Raise your ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ dongers

The post was edited 1 time, last by Zarah ().

• scottlbg wrote:

Nice responses everyone, definitely has me stoked to play both. Does AAMFP continue after AADD? I never finished the first one and kinda want to jump right into AAMFP.

From what I can tell from watching Markiplier play AAMFP (because he's REDICULOUSLY far into the game), the main character, Oswald Mandus, is the great nephew (something like that) of either Daniel or Alexander (my bet is on Daniel) and is betrayed by the "machine", which is apparently alive, just as Daniel is betrayed by Alexander. The monsters have turned into half-men half-pigs, of course. (Your lantern flickers when you're near a monster.) Not to mention the AAMFP takes place in 1899, a good 40 years or so after the first game.

So there are several connections between the first game and this new game. I'm certainly enjoying it, and even though not everything is extrusively scaru, it's certainly intrusively scary.
      I'm only what people have made me to be; a bitch, a scank, a c*nt. I've been morally degraded beyond belief. What could you possibly do that'd make me be further from who I truly am?

I have nothing, therefor, I am nothing.
    • Honestly, so far I am not that much impressed by Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs. Outlast had so much more to dive into. And I am not saying stuff like. "Outlast graphics are way better!" It is the whole atmosphere, the tricky way of implementing the camera and finding new events to get notes from. The amount of characters inside the game and the background stories of each the patients.

Sure the hiding mechanics in Amnesia The dark descent were similar, but that is just compromised in Amnesia a machine for pigs. You have no inventory, which means you can only carry 1 item at a time. I guess they wanted to emerge the player more into the whole setting and I am fine with that.
      Overall they took so many things from the game, which made it known for. Sitting in the dark with no light would enhance your view, refilling your lantern was essential, you'd even explore to find tinderboxes to light up places so you wouldn't get insane and you could carry so many items around... Now all you can do is like... Throw a chair or a pig :/ In Penumbra they even had these physic riddles where you had to place planks in a certain way etc. And why make the game easier by simply deleting enemies after death? Why?

I guess it is the influence of TheChineseRoom since Dear Esther was also just a lot of taking a walk around an island and exploring with an emphasis on story. But I gotta say.. The Story so far is not as interesting as Outlast. (I've currently reached the sewers)

I hope it is building up to something like the previous games did... So for me right now: Outlast's Chris Walker rips "the little pig" into pieces.
    • I'm basing my opinion on what I've watched. Outlast is a different game and is original, really detailed game. My only complaint for it is it has the same ol' puzzle mechanics. xD The chasing scenes are cool though, the enemies are a little bit stupid though. Haven't seen an enemy go check your hiding spot at all.

Amnesia: Machinery of pig is like a heavy-modded amnesia. But it's a lot better though. I haven't really seen the pig that will be chasing you but I did see the cages. They don't really look that scary. They're like Duke Nukem's pigs. Atmoshpere is great though. I guess if you're a big fan of the franchise, you'll just get thrilled for the game.
    • I can't pick one over the other. They go for completely different styles of horror. One is over the top and in your face while another is far more subtle and psychological. Outlast is great for that instant jumpscare and screaming type of horror fix but AMFP is more about tension building and getting lost in an atmosphere and story

I say both for different moods.
      Check out my channel, I promise you'll enjoy it youtube.com/user/jacksepticeye
    • Amnesia, I don't know, it might be becouse I haven't played it myself, but Outlast doesn't seem that fun to me (but I might be wrong x) )
      Hello :3
      " I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo
      '' We do have a lot in common. The same air, the same Earth, the same sky. Maybe if we started looking at what's the same instead of always looking at what's different... Well, who knows? '' - Meowth
      YouTube - youtube.com/user/SirBolls
    • I'm going to go with Outlast.

The game is a whole lot scarier, unlike Amnesia Outlast, for me, made me scared throughout the entire game. It makes you fear the next moment, because you don't actually know what the heck's going to happen. Sometimes the game scares you, but sometimes it gets you all worked up.. Then confused, because nothing happened. I find that Amnesia is ALWAYS the same scare. But that's just my opinion so w/e.

"Hi, my name's Jello, but you can call me anytime(;"

|| deviantART || Potato ||
    • A Machine For Pigs is better plot wise. It's a shame Pewds didn't read notes, because that's what makes this game kind-of-scary. When you don't read notes, you simply don't realize that something that happened 5 seconds or a minute after picking up a note was supposed to be scary. And that's really all. AMFP isn't scary, monsters are just funny. They're not really scary.

While Outlast. Oh. My. God. You don't need to read confidential* stuff to find it scary. It just is. I don't think I need to tell you why it is scary, people above me already explained it.

So AMFP has better plot, but Outlast is waaaaaaaaay scarier. Maybe it's because I expected a lot from the new Amnesia, and when I finished it I felt like they didn't stand to the peoples expectations.

* NOT ANYMORE
    • Prior to playing Outlast I would always side with amnesia due to my love for the original. However... I just started my Let's Play of outlast and... mehhhh... its worse than I thought (in a good way). Only like 13 minutes in I'm screaming!!! So far it is much scarier than Amnesia... I still love amnesia but outlast is breaking me very quickly!
      "From childhood's hour, I have not been as others were
      I have not seen as other have" - Edgar Allen Poe, "Alone"

(>^_^(vO_o)> Surprise Butt Sex

Phoenix Flames Plays

FaceBook