How to achieve best FPS when recording (FRAPS)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• How to achieve best FPS when recording (FRAPS)

Hey,

I was wondering, what methods people use to achieve best possible FPS when recording facecam, gameplay footage (and sound). What are your pre-settings (what do you do) before you start your applications and game and start recording.

Thanks.

EDIT: Found this link: frapsforum.com/threads/best-fr…rformance-tips-afaik.559/

Hope you find it helpful!

The post was edited 2 times, last by zeta ().

• Can't really say about webcam since I'm yet to use it for gameplay. However, when I record gameplay (and I use Fraps on Windows 7) there are a few things I do to help FPS. Turning off all the unnecessary processes, turning off any firewall/antivirus (make sure to be offline), setting my Fraps to 30FPS for recording, and then, depending on whether or not I still get lag, I'll start turning down settings on the game itself, like resolution, detail and so on.
  • i just bought a really good laptop =$, turning off processes wil surely help, like windows 7 runs 60+ processes at start up, while it can run on i believe 34 minimum, 30 fps on fraps is best setting, it wont make any diffrence in quality with 60fps, it wil just eat your CPU/RAM.
    make sure your computer is allowed to use 100% of your CPU/RAM, i have seen some computers which standard settings are at 80%, this will also make a difference!
    also keep your pc clean, run a program like CCleaner on your pc everyday if you have the time, it only takes 2-5 minutes and it does make a difference, make sure you clean your PC + Register.
    other then that, make sure you have the right settings in game, dont play on ultra graphics etc. if your PC/Laptop is just barely capable of running it on that settings.
    If you have some spare time, make me happy and have a look:
    youtube.com/user/nolife2own

always willing to help out, just ask ;)
  • You can record at 30fps on other games but it's best to record at 60fps when playing FPS. Fraps is a huge pile of crap and will hog your PC. Quality is lossless, yes. but the file is too big and impractical.

I suggest you get a new recorder. I have Bandicam and it works great. 16GB for 1Hr recording, can record mic and in-game sounds seperately. Can cap my FPS to whatever I want. And there's a lot of codecs you can use.
  • I'll have to remember about turning off my antivirus and other processes.

Fraps and my OS run on a SSD, but all material is written on my secondary 1TB drive. When recording (new Amnesia in this case), I have noticed drops in FPS when in heavily scripted moments, but they never drop below 30 it seems. I use the same Fraps setup PewDiePie posted in his tech specs, and honestly haven't had any trouble. Thanks for the helpful link, Zeta!
  • karlsanada10 wrote:

You can record at 30fps on other games but it's best to record at 60fps when playing FPS. Fraps is a huge pile of crap and will hog your PC. Quality is lossless, yes. but the file is too big and impractical.

I suggest you get a new recorder. I have Bandicam and it works great. 16GB for 1Hr recording, can record mic and in-game sounds seperately. Can cap my FPS to whatever I want. And there's a lot of codecs you can use.

I have Bandicam, but Fraps is better imo, because it doesn't eat FPS like bandicam does. And I have spare space for recordings.

• I went from Fraps to DxTory and that helped me a bit. I have more control over the settings (which I love).
    Another thing is recording to a separate harddrive than where the game runs from (if you have this option).
    But the cheapest and most efficient way is tweaking the graphics settings of the game. Sometimes finding the balance is a pain thou.

First person shooters I record in 60fps (this is only so I can make slowmotion to 50% with out frame loss). Other games in 30fps since the render after edit is anyways 30 fps.

Unfortunatly I have no experience with web cams, but I would suggest going with 30fps, higher than that in low light it might flicker and stutter (this is just a wild guess). :rolleyes:
  • zeta wrote:

karlsanada10 wrote:

You can record at 30fps on other games but it's best to record at 60fps when playing FPS. Fraps is a huge pile of crap and will hog your PC. Quality is lossless, yes. but the file is too big and impractical.

I have Bandicam, but Fraps is better imo, because it doesn't eat FPS like bandicam does. And I have spare space for recordings.

I don't really know, do you have an updated version? I have some benchmark for the two. I think it's only RE5 though.
  • karlsanada10 wrote:

zeta wrote:

karlsanada10 wrote:

I don't really know, do you have an updated version? I have some benchmark for the two. I think it's only RE5 though.
    Everything is updated. Fraps still have better FPS.

I think this is the whole point. Fraps = Frame per second. Fraps is supposed to be stable and not eat FPS.