Just need some suggestions

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• Just need some suggestions

Hey guys n girls, I am starting University in the next 2 weeks, freshers events and things, I have decided to go to some because I want to try and meet someone "special" or friends on my course, there, meansay I have friends at home and I'm not losing contact with them, however I don't find it easy approaching people, I just get too nervous and panic and think to myself, I will try again later. I have always found it hard approaching people and I really need some more advice? Because I don't want to mope around the first few weeks do I :')
      "Life is too short to spend it moping around, so sit back and enjoy the ride"

• WolfstacheGaming wrote:

ecial" or friends on my course, there, meansay I have friends at home and I'm not losing contact with them, however I don't find it easy approaching people, I just get too nervous and panic and think to myself, I will try again later. I have always found it hard approaching people and I really need some more advice? Because I don't want to mope around the first few weeks do I :')

In class:
      Talk about the class with people around you and introduce yourself casually and friendly, if the professor asks a question to everyone try to answer it. People will start getting used to you and you'll have friends in no time. I know it's easier said than done.

Outside of class:
      There may be clubs you can join. It makes it easier to talk to people because you all have something in common. See what sort of clubs and organizations they have and put yourself out there.

Online:
      Reddit has a subforum for universities. You could say you're new and want to meet new people.
      Dating Sites:
      Sometimes new students will use this to date and sometimes there's an option for just friends, usually the people will make it clear in their profile.

Have fun and be yourself bro!! :thumbsup:
      YOUTUBE CHANNEL
      Weekly Comedy Skit & Impressionist YouTuber - Check out my channel YouTube.com/MikeySmithTV
    • Don't worry, you will almost be forced to interact with other classmates in school. More than likely you will have to work on research projects together, discuss topics in a small group, study together, or at the very least ask for notes or something. There was never a class where I did not talk to anyone. It's rather easy talking to people in class because you already have a commonality to start off with. If you want to know more about them ask them what other classes they are taking or what they are majoring in.

Joining a club or sport is an essential part of college-life socialization.

If you don't want to join a club there are many volunteering organization hosted by the school that you can join just to socialize with others from your campus.
      I'm a bonafide Pocky addict. Panda Pocky is to dance nekkid for ♡ youtube.com/TheLilikoiJuice
    • This may sound like bad advice but when out at Freshers Events try getting a bit of alcohol in your system.
      It'll make you a bit braver and it's much easier to talk to someone who's also waiting at the bar.
      Mention how long the drink's taking or how the barman isn't noticing you at all.

Just don't drink TOO much, you don't want to be THAT GUY from freshers who did THE THING.
    • Everyone is Just as Nervous as You!

I started Uni last year and seriously dude, everyone is in the same boat as you :p

Are you living at Uni or commuting?
      If you live there you will befriend your housemates/hallmates whatever :)

I mean I commute to my uni, but I've still made loads of friends!
      You'll chat in lectures, you'll end up adding people on facebook or you'll be forced to work in groups with people and such so try not to worry.

Everyone is a little awkward and unsure, because it's all so new!

If you're really stuck, and are in a club/freshers event, try going to the smoking area. People
      are always chatty in the smoking area :D

If you want to approach someone on the first day, just do it.
      Ask them where they're from, maybe ask a random question like;

"Do you know where the library is?"

These kind of things always work for me :)

Some guys I met on the first day went to the on campus pub and I just asked
      if I could join. We're now friends and now we go to the pub in between lectures and have a right laugh!
      They also ended up being friends with loads of people, so it all worked out!

If you want a "special" friend, go to the freshers events. There are loads of girls
      there looking for fun if you know what I mean ;D hhahah!
      Watch Me Play Music and Stuff: youtube.com/user/KattStrike
      <3<3<3
    • I started uni last year and also went to an art college thing for a year before that, so I've been through the Freshers thing twice :P
      Basically if you're scared of people DRINKDRINKDRINKDRINK!!!! Everything's funnier when you're drunk anyway :P
      Also, depending on your course, you'll make friends in lectures and seminars anyway.
      Well maybe not so much in lectures, unless you're not good with silence like me so talk to whoever's sitting next to you :P
      I only had one group project this year and it wasn't very long, so I wouldn't rely on them to make friends, because you might not get any!
      Also, you're only in a few hours a few days a week (dependent on your course again, I'm only in 3 days for 3 hours this year, yay!) So yeah, just make the most of your time and be confident! And don't forget that it's about the degree, not being popular :P
      Resisting the urge to put sentimental song lyrices here
      youtube.com/user/HeatherCantGame
    • Freshers is what everyone told me about, but I commute in so I haven't been to any! Haha!

As a person, I'm outgoing so I found randomly chatting easy. But my boyfriend who's really shy, found it hard but be still made friends :D

(He also never went to any Freshers stuff!)

What are you studying at Uni :)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
      Watch Me Play Music and Stuff: youtube.com/user/KattStrike
      <3<3<3