PewDiePie's Comment Section Problem/ Problems For Smaller YouTubers

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• PewDiePie's Comment Section Problem/ Problems For Smaller YouTubers

Hey guys, i'm Kalosome!

So I recently watched PewDiePie's recent competition video and he talk's about a certain problem which is about channel spamming in the comment section of his videos. He mention's how it has become a problem just like the old troll comments were, and he also mentions how it his ruining his YouTube experience since reading comments was a huge part of the fun in making videos. He then concludes this topic with saying how he doesn't know how to fix this problem.

So this led me thinking of a simple solution, the same solution which stopped the troll comments. And so this simple solution is to flag these comments as spam, and hopefully, eventually they'll stop.

So why has there been a sudden rise in these comments? Well, I don't know much about YouTube apart from it's promotion system. YouTube only promotes videos that have a high retention rate, but what is retention? Audience retention is how YouTube measures it views. It measures it's views by seeing how long a particular user has watched for.

Why has retention got to do with anything? Well with this new system that has been introduced last year, it has made it harder for smaller YouTubers to get noticed, mainly because smaller YouTubers don't have a large retention rate in the means of their videos not being that good because they are only starting out. And so smaller YouTubers aren't getting any exposure because of this. Without exposure: No views will be able to find your channel.

The current solution to this problem that small YouTubers can think of is to spam channel on people's videos (like PewDiePie's), Another way is to spam message people or just randomly send friend requests as a form of method to gain some exposure. I kinda blame YouTube's retention for this because of people had more exposure, less of these problems would occur.

In conclusion, these are just my views and how I think the reason why all of these problems are happening. I don't know whether my view is a 100% true but it's just what I think, so feel free to reply to this topic with your views.

Thanks for reading :)

• Small != Bad Quality though.

If you produce good content, you will have a higher retention rate. It's nothing to do with your size. If you're not producing good quality stuff then don't publish it and practice more, simple as. You don't need to be big to be high quality, the only thing being big adds is an equipment budget and financial motivation.

EDIT: != means not equal to.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Cue ().

• Again, this is just my opinion, but I don't think there's a spamming problem as such. You get spam on every channel, it's just because there are 12 million subs to Pewds, even if only 1% of all his subscribers spammed their channel, that would still be a massive number to have concentrated on one video. Add that to the fact that i've seen the same spammer post a comment every ten seconds for quite a while on one video, if they all did that then that's a huge number of comments...
      So I don't think there's been a sudden rise in spam at all, just a sudden rise in his audience that makes it seem like there's more spam.

But i'm just guessing ^^
      It's pronounced 'curl', like curly hair. Yup. ^^
    • I completely agree if you want to get views, don't soam just produce good content that people want to watch frequently, the retention system does hit you on the head though :(
      Also To Cue I agree and disagree small can = bad in a lot of cases I agree, because if you aren't making good content, then you won't be told by others to go and watch, however it is still hard for those small tubers with good content to get the recognition they deserve :)
      I don't make the best content but it isn't the worst, as you say, practice and publish more is exactly what I am doing to improve :) Plus I just do it for fun, I would like to grow and have more viewers but it wouldn't be the end of the world :D
      "Life is too short to spend it moping around, so sit back and enjoy the ride"

• Messaging a bunch of people will attract attention to your channel but it is also against the rules. Your not supposed to spam and if you keep doing it you can get banned. I know because I sent out a bunch of messages and I was warned by a friend that I could get banned if I over did it, so now I don't message anyone.

As for the spamming problem in Pewds comment section, I just say that we flag the comments, there's no real way to prevent it other than warning them not to (and as if that's going to work)

Sup Fellow Bros! ;] You Should Check Out My Channel : www.youtube.com/user/malevolentvr
      BROFIST!
    • ImKalosome wrote:

So why has there been a sudden rise in these comments? Well, I don't know much about YouTube apart from it's promotion system. YouTube only promotes videos that have a high retention rate, but what is retention? Audience retention is how YouTube measures it views. It measures it's views by seeing how long a particular user has watched for.

ImKalosome wrote:

Why has retention got to do with anything? Well with this new system that has been introduced last year, it has made it harder for smaller YouTubers to get noticed, mainly because smaller YouTubers don't have a large retention rate in the means of their videos not being that good because they are only starting out. And so smaller YouTubers aren't getting any exposure because of this. Without exposure: No views will be able to find your channel.
      Actually that is not how Youtube promotes videos. Youtube promotes most videos from Youtube Channels that are partnered with a Network (such as Machinima, IGN, etc), because the channels that are partnered get their videos put into a part of youtube that might promote them more.
      Youtube in general does not promote video game videos as much as something like a Music video, or just a random funny cat video.
      So retention span has nothing to do with a video being promoted or not.

As for smaller Youtubers, the reason they don't get more views, is because of one simple fact: it is hard as hell to grow your channel, no matter how good your content is. When you are a small channel, and your videos receive less than 1,000 views, people are less likely to click on it due to the fact that it has less than 1,000 views. I myself do this as well, where if I see a recommended video or see a video in a youtube search, and it doesn't have AT LEAST 10,000 views, I most likely will NOT click on it. And I know A TON of people do the exact same thing.

There are MANY MANY other reasons why it is hard for smaller youtubers to grow, and MANY MANY more reason how the video promotion thing works, but I can assure you that the retention thing is not how they do it. :D
    • Small absolutely does not mean bad quality. Considering how many people are creating content on YouTube (especially Let's Plays), so many quality channels get lost in the mix. Having said that, spamming in the comments section of a popular YouTuber is absolutely frowned upon, and just about one of the worst things you can do to your own channel.

The key to getting your channel noticed is to take the time to network with people with similar interests. Join forums such as this one and actually contribute to the community. People will notice this, and they may even check your stuff out. If your stuff is actually good, they may share it. That's what gets the ball rolling.

Do not join a form solely to plug your content either. This hurts your channel. Take the time to get to know people. That why we're here.
    • Aristal wrote:

Messaging a bunch of people will attract attention to your channel but it is also against the rules. Your not supposed to spam and if you keep doing it you can get banned. I know because I sent out a bunch of messages and I was warned by a friend that I could get banned if I over did it, so now I don't message anyone.

Lol I don't know who told you that, but contrary to what you believe, and even though I agree that people should not spam, Spamming is most certainly NOT against ANY youtube rules and can NOT get you banned. LOL
    • Reason for the Spam

Everyone wants to become big on YouTube, but the point of YouTube is to have fun and express yourself, not to make spam comments.

I used to be like "I played this game on my channel" but I don't do that much. I just comment on what I found hilarious on the video. The point of the comments is to give feedback, and in Felix's case, it should be a place where the Bros give him tips on how to finish a game and what game he should play next, or even give him a really nice compliment
      *Brofist*
    • Cue wrote:

Small != Bad Quality though.

If you produce good content, you will have a higher retention rate. It's nothing to do with your size. If you're not producing good quality stuff then don't publish it and practice more, simple as. You don't need to be big to be high quality, the only thing being big adds is an equipment budget and financial motivation.
      I'm guessing you have never done youtube before have you? lol
    • areusupercereal wrote:

Aristal wrote:

Messaging a bunch of people will attract attention to your channel but it is also against the rules. Your not supposed to spam and if you keep doing it you can get banned. I know because I sent out a bunch of messages and I was warned by a friend that I could get banned if I over did it, so now I don't message anyone.

Lol I don't know who told you that, but contrary to what you believe, and even though I agree that people should not spam, Spamming is most certainly NOT against ANY youtube rules and can NOT get you banned. LOL
      Are you sure? Well I guess I was just being overly cautious because I don't want to get my channel banned :3 Thanks for the info i'll probably go back to spamming LOL jk

Sup Fellow Bros! ;] You Should Check Out My Channel : www.youtube.com/user/malevolentvr
      BROFIST!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Aristal ().

• Not to seem mean to those people that say good small YouTubers will still have good retention rate but when you are getting such few views all you need is one person to accidentally click on a video for instance and you have a huge retention time drop. Also, alot of smaller YouTubers get a 5 second view from some random douchebag that says they like your videos and have gave a thumbs up, just so you will go check there channel out and sub to them... This is my view and I believe it is a definite factor to consider. Especially how easy it is for our retention times to go down as we are one 5 second view time away from a bad retention :(
      Check me out on YouTube! EternityStubbers! goo.gl/8Wjr3A If you like my videos hit the thumbs up button and SUBSCRIBE! It's Free!
    • To be honest, I think that the more you advertise, the less people want to look at your channel.

Yeah, some people may click, but I know for sure when I see someone saying "check out my channel, I play Minecraft and I play other games check me out I have great quality," I don't see a good channel, I see a damn whining person who just wants views.

In turn, I rarely ever check out the channel of someone who advertises, because it shows a whole new level of what not to do. It shows that you don't care about how much people like your videos, you care about how many subscribers you have and how many views you get.

If you have good videos, you'll get subscribers. There's no point in spamming other people's channels just for the attention.

For the love of god, please, do not advertise your channel. Make your channel special, good, and people will automatically come, with time. Be patient.
    • Nepurrty wrote:

To be honest, I think that the more you advertise, the less people want to look at your channel.

Yeah, some people may click, but I know for sure when I see someone saying "check out my channel, I play Minecraft and I play other games check me out I have great quality," I don't see a good channel, I see a damn whining person who just wants views.

In turn, I rarely ever check out the channel of someone who advertises, because it shows a whole new level of what not to do. It shows that you don't care about how much people like your videos, you care about how many subscribers you have and how many views you get.

If you have good videos, you'll get subscribers. There's no point in spamming other people's channels just for the attention.

For the love of god, please, do not advertise your channel. Make your channel special, good, and people will automatically come, with time. Be patient.
      Agreed 100 percent.
      To be honest I spammed when I first started my channel, I didn't ask for people to sub I just asked if they could leave some constructive criticism to help me make my videos better and thus make my channel better for my viewers of the future..

Also unfortunately patience isn't a well practiced art nowadays and people are incredibly impatient to get their videos out into the world.

BROFIST!
    • The advertising on Pewdie's videos doesn't only ruin his experience either.
      I often enjoy reading through the comments on Pewdie's videos because I know I'll find some funny responses to something that happened in the video. Sadly, due to the frequency of advertising comments, I end up just hunting for them, skipping over all the normal comments, just so I can report ads as spam.

As for the 'Small Channel = Bad Quality', I think that's a load of rubbish.
      Everyone with good content started somewhere. It takes time to build up subs.
      Sure, good quality videos are a huge help but the biggest factors are time and luck.
    • Okay, being a new, small youtuber, I feel like I can join in on this thread.
      It is extremely hard to get your stuff out there, but even so, spamming someone's comments is just plain rude. It shows you have no respect for the person who's video you're on. I really hate seeing advertising comments and would never do it myself. I also dont like getting inboxes from people asking me to check out their new montage on COD or whatever. It's just so annoying.
      I know you can stop that from setting messages to contacts only, but then subscribers wont be able to talk to you (in some cases) and idk, I like the idea of talking with subs and making friends. That's how it should be.
      In regards to forums and stuff, I don't mind people just linking their youtube as a sig, or posting it in the appropriate section, because it's not in your face or anything. People can just click it if they want to and it isn't being shoved down your throat.
      Resisting the urge to put sentimental song lyrices here
      youtube.com/user/HeatherCantGame