Pondering a novel idea, need feedback and opinion.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• Pondering a novel idea, need feedback and opinion.

So I have always thought about writing a book/novel. I have the resources, the time and the literary skills that one needs. All I've lacked is motivation. I've had a couple "cool" ideas like a Mafia, 1930s based story about a struggling recruit to a large family of mobsters, doing what he needs to do no matter the cost or cruelty. Then there was "cool" idea about a book based on Portal. But I recently came up with one based on this motherfucker: mars-one.com/en/ Essentially this is a mission that will launch in 2023 for those whom are chosen(18 or older can apply now) to go and colonize Mars. They say if you go, prepare to spend the rest of your life there. More and more people each year will arrive to Mars and live on it. I'm planning to apply as well, as I will be 18 in 2017. Here's a trailer if ya want: youtube.com/watch?v=jraVEhfFjvY

I want to write about a man( boy of 18 ) with a happy life, loving family, stable household, money, food, a job, intellect(especially with science, even more so with astronomy), everything necessary to be happy. But he decides that he doesn't like life, and instead of killing himself, he will contribute to science(better than spewing your brains all over your bathroom walls, right?) He has a couple years until he leaves and when he tells his parents about him applying, then being accepted, they are devastated. Especially his little brothers, whom are 10, 9 and 4. But he has made up his mind, he's going. This book will go through how and why he made the decision and the events following to it, the reaction of everybody and the story prior to leaving. It will have a lot more detail than that, but I didn't want any "TL;DR" posts. I was gonna use my type writer, but some keys are stuck and I need a new ink cartridge. So, what do ya think? Thanks for any advice, it's appreciated.

The post was edited 5 times, last by 'TisBen ().

• I didn't know about that Mars project, nice to learn something every day :)

In my opinion, your book idea would make a great Hollywood movie :D It really sounds interesting and I'd definitely read a book like that. Hope you got time to write it and good luck! Maybe you can share some small parts with us when you're ready! :)
  • ExxtraDeuce wrote:

I didn't know about that Mars project, nice to learn something every day :)

In my opinion, your book idea would make a great Hollywood movie :D It really sounds interesting and I'd definitely read a book like that. Hope you got time to write it and good luck! Maybe you can share some small parts with us when you're ready! :)

Yeah, that project is fuckin' crazy. I will definitely be applying.
    I actually thought so, too. I almost made a short film on it(I'm into film and special effects and such) instead of writing it, but I don't have the skills/money. Plus I'm only 14. Fuck.
    But I really want it to have an emotional outlook, like give the audience da feelz, ya know? Sorta like if you've ever seen the What's Eating Gilbert Grape or Of Mice and Men, I cried at both. Mainly because I'm a softie, but also because they made me feel.
    I also was planning on uploading it to a site so people could download it and read it, maybe even print it and read it. If I do that, I'll definitely post the link.
  • Yeah, that project is fuckin' crazy. I will definitely be applying.
    I actually thought so, too. I almost made a short film on it(I'm into film and special effects and such) instead of writing it, but I don't have the skills/money. Plus I'm only 14. Fuck.
    But I really want it to have an emotional outlook, like give the audience da feelz, ya know? Sorta like if you've ever seen the What's Eating Gilbert Grape or Of Mice and Men, I cried at both. Mainly because I'm a softie, but also because they made me feel.
    I also was planning on uploading it to a site so people could download it and read it, maybe even print it and read it. If I do that, I'll definitely post the link.
    It is crazy, but I was thinking: I see it's gonna be done by University of Twente, but have they got some company or something behind them? I mean, is it 100% doable or is it more like a project? (didn't read much of the site tbh :D)

I didn't see those movies, but I feel like I know what you mean. That 'emotional outlook' would make the book/movie really special and I'm not joking, but if you finish it before 2023, you could really consider getting it to a publishing company or something like that. :)
  • ExxtraDeuce wrote:

Yeah, that project is fuckin' crazy. I will definitely be applying.
    It is crazy, but I was thinking: I see it's gonna be done by University of Twente, but have they got some company or something behind them? I mean, is it 100% doable or is it more like a project? (didn't read much of the site tbh :D)

I didn't see those movies, but I feel like I know what you mean. That 'emotional outlook' would make the book/movie really special and I'm not joking, but if you finish it before 2023, you could really consider getting it to a publishing company or something like that. :)

Yeah, from what I heard they are getting funded and sponsored by a bunch of places, and the ship is already built I believe. And yeah, I thought about that too.