Parts for Gaming PC

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• HisHighnessBr00tal wrote:

Rule #1: No AMD Processor
    Rule #2: Amount of RAM above 8GB doesnt matter, its the speed.
    Rule #3: You dont need more than 1.5 GB RAM GFX Card if you just want to play games.
    Rule #4: With that amount of cash, do not cut down on cooling.

#1: cant say anything there, never had an AMD proc and prolly never will
    #2: im running 8gig ram and its barely enough for playing BF3 and recording at the same time (and yes i have plenty of shit in the background running but thats how i want it, with FF running im using 3.2 gig ram)
    #3: for BF3 you need a minimum of 1 gig gfx card, im running a 2 gig one and it is bottlenecking, slowing down my fps
    #4: extremely good point, cannot stress that enough! (i have since my first computer been running most things overclocked so cooling is a must if u dont want to ruin parts)
    (added rule)#5 get an SSD drive for your OS and main games, it REALLY improves loading and general speed of everything installed on it

And to OP, check my setup in my sig, is more than enough to run BF3 on high with good fps (70+) altho use the i5 2500K processor unless you render loads of videos and 3D stuff
    Fractal Design R3, Win7, I7 2600k @ 4,6GHz, Noctua NH-U12P, 16Gb vengeance LP,
    Nvidia GTX 780 , Asrock P67 pro3, Force GT SSD 120GB, BenQ 24" (LED) + Hyndai 22", Logitech G110, Qpad QH-90, Razer Deathadder 2013
  • SSD doesn't help on FPS though. Just use it for OS and rendering software. So prolly, 32-60GB is already enough.

Some games need 1.5GB of Graphics card because it renders a lot like Batman: Arkham City and BF3. Though it's not really on how big is the GB of your GFX, it's about the shaders, clocks, etc.

8GB is enough. Win7 uses 1.5GB, and some games uses 3GB I think.

Don't buy an aftermarket cooler unless you will OC.
  • karlsanada10 wrote:

SSD doesn't help on FPS though. Just use it for OS and rendering software. So prolly, 32-60GB is already enough.

Some games need 1.5GB of Graphics card because it renders a lot like Batman: Arkham City and BF3. Though it's not really on how big is the GB of your GFX, it's about the shaders, clocks, etc.

8GB is enough. Win7 uses 1.5GB, and some games uses 3GB I think.

Don't buy an aftermarket cooler unless you will OC.

That is true, it wont help with FPS, however it will help with the loading of the game and the maps on that game.. 120 gig is preferred since its easy to fill a 60 gig (im using 67 and i barely have any games on it)
    Getting anything less than 2 gig is largely useless if u dont want to replace it shortly after you got it (more and more games require 1 gig minimum, that means 2 to run it smootly) im also interested in where you get your information you post..
    As i stated in a previous post, running a few things in the background eats ram, im currently using 4.2 gig (note that is 1 gig more than when i wrote the other post)
    The standard coolers is fucking useless nowdays and barely keeps a nonOC'd proc cool enough during long gametimes/rendering (some dont even send a cooler at all)
    For example the one im using is about 72 euro
    Nvidia GTX 780 , Asrock P67 pro3, Force GT SSD 120GB, BenQ 24" (LED) + Hyndai 22", Logitech G110, Qpad QH-90, Razer Deathadder 2013
  • I say go with intel processing, its a little more expensive but it is worth the extra $20 - 50. Why? Intel is supported with more games, thus making it run better with more games, and in general is better because of its popularity. I'm currently using an AMD, and I can say that I'm not overly sadisfied with the choice in the processor, and I plan on changing to intel later on.

If you choose an intel processor you will recieve other benefits such as a quieter processor, regular hardware updates (more regular than amd) and very simple cpu to graphics combatibility depending on your graphics card.

CPU > Graphics Recommendation:
    CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K ($220 Average)
    GPU: GeForce GTX 560 Ti ($220 Average)

Other components will not compare how the cost of those two hardware pieces.

Quick recommendation:
    8GB Ram
    1-2TB Harddrive (depending on if you do a backup)
    60 GB SSD (for startup)

(Couldnt be bothered doing a full hardware recommendation, but here you go.)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Roqj ().

• karlsanada10 wrote:

I read it somewhere. Though I'm not sure of it, so it's probably a bluff. But it's better to get 2GB GPU. (Sucks I don't have extra bucks to get 6950 2gb before)

My intel i5-2320 runs consistently hot when rendering and gaming, 66C is the hottest.
    (not trying to be an asshole here, but) Dont give tips/info that you are unsure about without stating that you are unsure about it (i have built several computers myself and did all the research myself on what parts to get)
    Yea as i said, the original coolers sucks these days, since most ppl replace them with aftermarket one, the processor companies dont bother with making a cooler that is more than enough
    My proc runs about 58 when im gaming, note that its overclocked...

The post was edited 1 time, last by Inzanityinc ().

• Roqj wrote:

CPU > Graphics Recommendation:
    CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K ($320 Average)
    GPU: GeForce GTX 560 Ti ($220 Average)
    Im quite interested to know how you came up with that recommendation..
    I can see a few problems with that lineup
    1. The processor is for enthusiasts/hardcore overclockers (324 euro at the store im using mostly) Core i5 2500K 3.3 GHz is209 euros... Core i7 2600K3.4 GHz is 294 euros
    2. The gpu would bottleneck that system extremely much (would be better off using either AMD 7950 3 gig or a 7980 3 gig or possible Geforce GTX 680 it however have some issues with the drivers and 2gig with limited "broadband")
    3. I compared the GeForce GTX 560 Ti with an AMD with the same price and the AMD has 8MHz higher core and more than 1100MHz higher memory clock (XFX Radeon HD6950 2gig OC Dual fan VS Gainward GeForce GTX 560 Ti 2gig no fan)
    4. You either go full enthusiast or budget, you dont mix them

Also @ OP its easyer to recommend a setup if you tell us what you will be using it for, gaming, rendering, video editing and so on
  • Ask someone for a good motherboard.
    Use an AMD Catalyst or nVidia GeForce Graphics Card, 1gb or higher.
    6gb RAM is fine, what you need is a good GPU.
    Look for a good cooler, the one that spins faster when your PC gets hotter.
    And dump Cooling Paste on your board

You decide the rest, i'm getting the same PC after we buy stuff for my High School days :(
    Good Buy slow laptop :P
    Look at my Avatar, and yes my face is lovely
  • MeteoRaziel wrote:

Ask someone for a good motherboard.
    Use an AMD Catalyst or nVidia GeForce Graphics Card, 1gb or higher.
    6gb RAM is fine, what you need is a good GPU.
    Look for a good cooler, the one that spins faster when your PC gets hotter.
    And dump Cooling Paste on your board

You decide the rest, i'm getting the same PC after we buy stuff for my High School days :(
    Good Buy slow laptop :P

Is people not reading my post or what?
    1. He is asking us isnt he?
    2. Since there are only those two manufacturers, yes one or the other... (still dont help since he prolly have no idea on what card to get)
    3. I dont even need to respond to that AGAIN
    4. The stock one spins faster when the cpu gets hotter (atleast the last stock i had, altho it was back in like 05) what he needs is one with larger number of "fins" (cant find the right word but u know what i mean)
    5. What? I have NEVER heard of that in my 10 years of messing around with computers and hanging on computer forums.. feel free to provide a link to a source and to the cooling paste you are talking about (i however suspect you are talking about the paste you have under the cpu cooler)
  • Inzanityinc wrote:

HisHighnessBr00tal wrote:

Rule #3: You dont need more than 1.5 GB RAM GFX Card if you just want to play games.

#2: im running 8gig ram and its barely enough for playing BF3 and recording at the same time (and yes i have plenty of shit in the background running but thats how i want it, with FF running im using 3.2 gig ram)
    #3: for BF3 you need a minimum of 1 gig gfx card, im running a 2 gig one and it is bottlenecking, slowing down my fps
    #4: extremely good point, cannot stress that enough! (i have since my first computer been running most things overclocked so cooling is a must if u dont want to ruin parts)
    (added rule)#5 get an SSD drive for your OS and main games, it REALLY improves loading and general speed of everything installed on it

And to OP, check my setup in my sig, is more than enough to run BF3 on high with good fps (70+) altho use the i5 2500K processor unless you render loads of videos and 3D stuff
    #2 8 gig ram is totally enough for playing BF3 and recording at the same time, as a follow up question to that is what do you (
    Inzanityinc ) have running in the background that eat up so much ram?

#3 2 gig of video ram is not going to bottleneck your system in BF3, if u have everything at ultra (4xMSAA) it draws about 1,5 gig video ram in 1080p. I would like to ask the OP what resolution his monitor is.

#4 Nothing to say about this that haven't already been said.

#5 Same as above
    Asus P8P67 Deluxe | 2600K @ 4,2GHz + NH-D14 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz | GTX 580 Twin Frozr II | Corsair Force GT 120 | WD Caviar black 1TB | Corsair AX 850W+ | Thermaltake Level 10 GT | Asus Xonar D2X |
  • Sloghunt wrote:

Inzanityinc wrote:

#2 8 gig ram is totally enough for playing BF3 and recording at the same time, as a follow up question to that is what do you (

#3 2 gig of video ram is not going to bottleneck your system in BF3, if u have everything at ultra (4xMSAA) it draws about 1,5 gig video ram in 1080p. I would like to ask the OP what resolution his monitor is.

#5 Same as above

I was slightly misleading there, a 6970 2 gig will bottleneck (the one i have)

Currently im using 2.9 gig ram (forgot that i had chrome running in the background in the previous posts)
  • Inzanityinc wrote:

Sloghunt wrote:

Inzanityinc wrote:

#5 Same as above

Currently im using 2.9 gig ram (forgot that i had chrome running in the background in the previous posts)
    Wow that's a shitload of stuff u have running ^^

If u run MSI Afterburner etc, (program which can show ur video ram consumption) what does it tell you when u play? Because when I play with my GTX 580, which isn't enough for ultra, i wont get close to filling my video ram. So there is more factors to calculate for than just saying that, "you cant play the game with high settings without atleast 2 gigs of ram. Even though I agree with you that one should definitly not buy a high end graphics card today that dont have atleast 2 gigs worth of video ram.
    Asus P8P67 Deluxe | 2600K @ 4,2GHz + NH-D14 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz | GTX 580 Twin Frozr II | Corsair Force GT 120 | WD Caviar black 1TB | Corsair AX 850W+ | Thermaltake Level 10 GT | Asus Xonar D2X |
  • Sloghunt wrote:

Inzanityinc wrote:

Sloghunt wrote:

Inzanityinc wrote:

#5 Same as above

If u run MSI Afterburner etc, (program which can show ur video ram consumption) what does it tell you when u play? Because when I play with my GTX 580, which isn't enough for ultra, i wont get close to filling my video ram. So there is more factors to calculate for than just saying that, "you cant play the game with high settings without atleast 2 gigs of ram. Even though I agree with you that one should definitly not buy a high end graphics card today that dont have atleast 2 gigs worth of video ram.
    I run MSI Afterburner but i cant see th RAM used (think it might be a AMD thing or might be coz its an ASUS card so im not sure its 100% compatible, i cant change voltage for example)
    However i can see the usage and its 95-99% (note that i have overclocked this card hard, even harded than most is able to run stable(960 core clock and 1460 mem clock, do note that the mem freq is 5500MHz))
  • Inzanityinc wrote:

Sloghunt wrote:

Inzanityinc wrote:

Sloghunt wrote:

Inzanityinc wrote:

#5 Same as above

I run MSI Afterburner but i cant see th RAM used (think it might be a AMD thing or might be coz its an ASUS card so im not sure its 100% compatible, i cant change voltage for example)
    However i can see the usage and its 95-99% (note that i have overclocked this card hard, even harded than most is able to run stable(960 core clock and 1460 mem clock, do note that the mem freq is 5500MHz))
    Have u checked all the settings, because I know that I had to change manually to be able to change the voltage, and there is a certain section for setting up the OSD (on screen display).

The option for voltage is under "General" and "Unlock voltage control" and to change what you want to see in OSD you have to go into "Monitoring" then under "Graph" you can select one option, for example the memory usage, and then tick the option lower down "Show in On-screen Display"

One thing to note is when u run out of memory you get the same feeling as micro-stuttering, for those who don't know it's a problem which occur when u have SLI or Crossfire. But to find out what really happens and what causes it you will have to look elsewhere because it's to much to write down.
  • Bladedplane wrote:

@Inzanityinc sorry for late response, I'm mainly going to use it for gaming.
    As for the processor i'm going for the intel core i7, the rest of the parts i really haven't decided on yet.

Thanks for the support so far.
    Which I7 are you going for?

Wondering because the Ivy Bridge line is getting much hotter when overclocking than Sandy Bridge, and the performance between the two aren't that much apart so you might get it cheaper with the 2600k and then use the difference for a better graphics card.
  • CPU > Graphics Recommendation:
    CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K ($220 Average)
    GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5770 ($170 Average)

The cheapest/best performing CPU/GPU setup I could find. I've havn't seen any problems with it so far, highly recommended. The CPU has 4 cores (Max cores that a game currently uses) and is the perfect card for a great price.

Edited my other post, I didnt look at the GTX 560 Ti's specs.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Roqj ().