Why I think PewDiePie is not a good youtuber, and what is generally bad with the ''bro army''

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• Why I think PewDiePie is not a good youtuber, and what is generally bad with the ''bro army''

Hello the ''Bro army'' (Uugghh...) and hopefully pewdiepie (but I doubt it).

Let's skip right to the problem. PewDiePie is objectively a bad YouTuber. Why? He never ''Evolves''. What I mean by that is that he always does the same jokes, always the same shtick ect. Like Stephano, Piggie and the other ''lovable characters''. The problem with stephano is that his shtick has run out. Piggie is just a giant inappropriate rape joke. The chair was not given any ''personality'' except for being a safe zone. And about piggie and rape jokes. It has already been said and will be said thousands of times more, but it's RAPE. It's not fun, humorous, or anything of the sort! It's tragic and sad, not happy and likable. People wouldn't have such a huge gripe with it if he maybe did it once or twice, but it's ALL THE TIME. It's not hard to find a video where he makes at least 5 rape jokes, each being less humorous and more frightening than the last. The worst of all being that he put's ZERO effort into them, meaning that he doesn't think it's a big deal, which it is. He constantly gives fame and publicity to games that aren't scary (Slender) or funny (Some sperm game he played once). He constantly gets scared of everything, which I get, it's his thing, but it never EVOLVES. Every video about scary games is like it's his first time, He doesn't learn anything, he doesn't grow more used to anything. No pay-off at all.

And whose fault is it? The bro-army's fault. You constantly praise everything that you've grown used to, and boo everything new hes trying to do. He can react genuinely, he can be funny. But he reaches the top and stays at that level throughout the play through because he knows that he'll get crap from you guys otherwise. You constantly keep down any criticism, whether positive or not. You constantly spam anything that play's the same game that he does/did/will do like he has copyright to something he doesn't own. Let alone the term ''Bro-army'' is terrible because it bunches his entire fanbase into one group, making one persons action reflect badly on everyone else. Let us not forget the tired argument of ''He has more subscribers than you, so your argument is invalid'' which is stupid all in itself.

Let me clarify, I don't have a problem with felix, I have a problem with his internet alias, PewDiePie and PewDiePie's following.
  • When it comes to the Bro Army, I think regardless of whatever you as a fan wish to be called, you will still be clumped in with everyone else.

As to the idea of whether Felix evolves in his videos? I would say with each ten or so videos he makes a push in terms of quality, building the PewDiePie persona, or bringing in friends to play with.

Yes at times, and it seems like it most recently, that Felix is in a state of hypertension the entire video. If that is how he handles a new game, then there really is nothing you can do. If it is him amping up the action/horror/humor then if you let your point be heard then he might take it into consideration. He has in the past been known to take a fan's concerns to heart.
  • Wade D McGinnis wrote:

When it comes to the Bro Army, I think regardless of whatever you as a fan wish to be called, you will still be clumped in with everyone else.

Wade D McGinnis wrote:

Not really. AzuriteReaction also does roughly the same things PewDiePie, Yet he is completely different and doesn't call his fans other than fans, giving everyone a chance to create a personality without damaging anyone else's. Because if you've encountered a group once, let's say bronies, your view on everyone who consider themselves a brony is based on those people you've met who also called themselves bronies, and it evolves from there. But if someone doesn't call themselves a brony, you see them as a blank paper and let them decide what to fill it with.

Yes at times, and it seems like it most recently, that Felix is in a state of hypertension the entire video. If that is how he handles a new game, then there really is nothing you can do. If it is him amping up the action/horror/humor then if you let your point be heard then he might take it into consideration. He has in the past been known to take a fan's concerns to heart.
    The problem being his fans, as previous attempts trying to do the same thing has been met with hate, and even then, the chance of him seeing and agreeing with me is slim, considering I'm not a fan or cast him in a nice light decreases the chance of him listening to me, because why change how you act for someone who isn't going to spend a lot of time with you.

Color me impressed, this thread have been up for, what, like 4 hours? And Yet no one has come out butt-hurt. Guess I under-estimated PewDiePie's fans a bit too much.
  • Think what you like but pewdiepie is NOT a bad youtuber nor are his fans, if you think this is the case then you've sadly got no sense of humor and need to understand fun and enjoy your life and try to relax a little. :|
  • I wouldn't call him a bad youtuber, he's maybe just not a great one. You have a lot of valid points, but I suppose it's just what you look for in a video.

I enjoy his videos, but I don't watch every one of them, I don't like all of his jokes, and sometimes he does make a dull one.

The only think I would want him to do is vary some of his jokes. The first time he referred to blood as "period", I thought "heh, ok"; but now he does it every time I find it annoying. Just find a few other ways to joke about it, or actually just call it blood once in a while. I haven't really noticed a lot of rape jokes, there's a lot of generally sexual ones, but not necessarily rapey ones. It is another area where he could maybe start trying to vary what he says.

In general, what he does isn't bad, it's just not maybe as great as he could be. I think he needs to kind of make his videos more for himself than his fanbase. I loved when he was trying the new cam in Cat Lady, but it got shot down by youtube comments, which is such a shame. It worked nicely in that video. It might not work for all his vids, but that's up to him.

I also think he should take into account the age rating of a game when he makes the video. If it's an 18 or an M, then cater your video to an adult audience. Ignore what any 12/14 year old is flaming, because they shouldn't be watching it. Also if he's playing a kids game, maybe turn down the swearing and sexual jokes, because a kid might come across that video because they like the game.

He's an intelligent guy, he can be funny without using the same jokes all the time, and he can be funny without swearing.

As for the fanbase, these forums are pretty cool, the comment section on youtube is horrific. I personally just report anyone flaming Pewds, and anyone responding to those flames, as spam. I don't flag criticism, just the verbal abuse aimed at him or the fanbase, and then any retaliation. Maybe if more people who cared about the quality of that section did that, it would clean up a bit. I don't mean trawl through them, just report any bad ones you happen to see.

Also: why would you make an account on his forums, just to say he's a bad youtuber? It's kind of more a waste of your time than anyone elses. Seems silly to me.
    In Memory - Alpha test stage

Coming up: Pilot's Story, Caroline's Fall
  • I agree with most of your points. He doesn't evolve and he limits himself because of his fanbase who were like "BOO! We don't like the new layout Pewds. I miss the old one" and some shit like that. And "Cat Woman is boring" Goddamnit! I was enjoying that game! Well, i don't like him playing RPGs though, it just doesn't fit to him.

Anyway, he needs to become full control of himself. he credits the broarmy "Since you keep suggesting this game, I'd play it" He keeps saying it for every let's play. I think he should do something new.:D

Don't get me wrong, I still watch all of his vids since it's a past time for me.
  • Regarding ending Let's Plays early, Pewds said it very well in one of his videos, "If I was playing a game with my friend watching, and they didn't like it. I wouldn't play it with them." However with 6 million subscribers, 3.5 million might not like it, but 2.5 million would miss it. I think in some cases, maybe Pewds should create a different kind of video. Maybe a montage/review 20-30 minute video to sum up and recommend things he has enjoyed playing, but didn't make a good Let's Play. I say this for the case of things like Cat Lady (there are others but I've forgotten them), where it was a slow paced game at the start, and he constantly said how much he enjoyed it, but a large number of people didn't enjoy watching it minute by minute.

Another reason for this is that Pewds behaves differently in game and when he's just talking into the camera. You can have a few videos of a nice chilled out Pewds, talking about the good and bad points of a game. It might naturally bring out a variety in humour and entertainment across his videos.

Just a thought.

(He would need to fix his internet though xD)
    In Memory - Alpha test stage

Coming up: Pilot's Story, Caroline's Fall
  • TheMiinuko wrote:

TheAwfulTruth wrote:

And whose fault is it? The bro-army's fault. You constantly praise everything that you've grown used to, and boo everything new hes trying to do.

I have to agree with this ..

But i don't understand why you created an account to say this ... meh :)

Probably because that is what forums are kind of about? ;)

On the topic of this Pewdiepie person...whoever he is, I think the problem is that Felix got to a level of popularity that he just wasn't ready for. Handling a large following like that takes a lot of work to keep entertained and the best way to do it is to add variety to the show. The problem though is that while a lot of people think Felix is a talented person, he is actually just a gamer that hit a spot of luck. From my knowledge he has no real talent outside of playing games on an average skill level.

Now this brings up a lot of flashing red lights that have begun to show in his following in general. His followers are getting restless and they want...MORE! The question is though is how does he provide that when his thing is just playing games? Even his own intros and such are made by his fans, so really it just shows that Felix probably won't have much to offer in the future on a creative level.

As Kerrima mentioned above he tries to play games that he wants to enjoy but his subscribers are either disinterested, or miss it. This also shows that in a way his subscribers are starting to control him a little. I am very aware of how demanding a lot of his followers are and in a way I feel sorry for him because of that.

A big rule of Youtube and LPers in general is to not let the fans control you but at the same time you don't want to try controlling the fans. You need to work on a level that shows that you respect the interests of your followers, while also respecting your own interests and passion for doing it. If you bow down to the demands of your fans then you will never evolve, or innovate.

Youtube is and will always be about having fun first and making money after but the problem is that he has over 6 million people screaming for entertainment. This is why entertainment networks have massive board meetings and development talks to control such a situation. Felix doesn't have that creative and business support and so it is beginning to make him trip up. Youtube is a business that he has decided to get into but he sadly doesn't have the business sense, or wide selection of talents to put his creative output to 100%.

Now I see all Youtubers as one big happy family of like minded people and with that being said I hope he pulls through. We just need to hope that maybe he might step out of his comfort zone of just playing games and maybe help himself in bringing passion back into his channel.
    There is always time for muffins.
  • ...well.. You guys just said everything. I dont really need to, do i? :p
    Me? Nope, i didnt come here for Pewds exactly. Its for other reasons... But thats another story.
    Anyways, i have my reasons to like/dislike Pewds, and i assume he doesnt entertain me that much anymore.. Not as Cry.. Well, im not comparing anyone, okay? Im just saying.
    Btw, i agree with you guys.
  • This is actually very true, I agree fully with your points. The "Bro-army" is in most cases horrible, Felix himself isn't the bad person here and just does what his "fans" want to, because he wants to make them happy. But it just ends it being same thing over and over again. The "Bro-army" is one if not the worst youtube fanbase I've been involved in and I'm saying this as a friend of Felix. I'm probably gonna be hated for this here even as a "Super moderator" But I don't care anymore It's finally out. You guys are annoying as ****. (This is not said for every "fan" of Felix, there are some people out there that aren't like the rest and I can actually "respect" a bit or even like, but happens very rarely.)

The post was edited 3 times, last by Xebaz ().

• Oh wow man I read this yesterday but I didn't have the time to reply. Wow you guys said everything that I needed to say.
    I really agree with your opinions and you pointed out quite a few good points. I'm glad someone like you say it out.
    I used to enjoy watching his videos when he first started and all that, the jokes he used was funny but now it's old and boring. Also some of what he says in the videos could be offensive towards a number of people.(I guess it depends? *shrug*)
    Nowadays I see him uploading a tonne of videos, I don't really watch them anymore because I know what to expect. Like you said, he rarely evolve or change the way he does so I guess i know that he's going to make jokes and use a lot of foul words. The only thing I watch now is his update and vlog videos.
    It's true that his fanbase(many of them) are just kids. Pewds' videos might influence them to learn new foul words which they never heard of or curse often/regularly.

I understand that Pewds want to change/stop the jokes and much more things but what you said, the bro army dislikes it when he change or something like that.
    I'm with your side!
  • Sad, Sad, Sad little boy.

Its not the fact that Pewds hasn't evolved, its that you have gotten bored with him. Yeah, hes losing his touch, but as far as ive noticed, hes just been away from Amnesia because hes done all the custom stories. When Machine For Pigs comes out, he promised us he will be back to almost having a heartattack. Also, his sense of humor is in no way your call. So his fans like is sick sense of humor. Thats the main reason why hes my favorite in the first place. But to rip on a youtuber for being successful and his supporters shows some disrespect. So im not really sure why you're even here if your just going to insult his hard work. Very, very pitifully, pathetically sad.

-Freziod
  • Freziod wrote:

Its not the fact that Pewds hasn't evolved, its that you have gotten bored with him. Yeah, hes losing his touch, but as far as ive noticed, hes just been away from Amnesia because hes done all the custom stories. When Machine For Pigs comes out, he promised us he will be back to almost having a heartattack. Also, his sense of humor is in no way your call. So his fans like is sick sense of humor. Thats the main reason why hes my favorite in the first place. But to rip on a youtuber for being successful and his supporters shows some disrespect. So im not really sure why you're even here if your just going to insult his hard work. Very, very pitifully, pathetically sad.

-Freziod

No one here is insulting Felix at all. We are discussing what has happened over the course of his channel and what he needs to do to improve it. Just because we are giving him some criticism doesn't mean we hate him, or are trying to insult him. If you were to not take it so close to heart you would see that we are actually spending time out of our own day to actually be concerned for him. That is because we care about him, he is a Youtuber like us.
    There is always time for muffins.
  • I just have to say, Wow. I am impressed with the level of maturity present in this forum. Usually on a site called "Pewdiepie.net", I would expect that if someone came in with a post like this it would be met with immediate flaming and hate. I was surprised to see such concise responses, and generally good points. I'm new to the forum and gotta give you all props for that! It's rare on the Internet.

I totally agree with the points raised. I've gotten into the Let's Play scene maybe a a year ago, and I am finding myself watching less and less of Pewdiepie's stuff. I never really gave any thought as to why, but I think it's repetition.

As you guys said, his content doesn't really "evolve". It's like why I stopped watching Pokemon eventually as a kid. You realize that every episode is essentially the same thing, following a very strict formula that is rarely broken. Every so often he will bring something out that interests me, but they are more far and few in between now.

In contrast, I've been watching more Tobuscus. He always has something interesting going on and plays some pretty obscure stuff. He has some incredible Improvisational skills that translates well on screen.