Windows 8

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• I want to upgrade my PC's OS from Windows 7 to Windows 8, but I'm not sure if I should do it or not. I've searched for some information in the internet about Windows 8 like it's feature, performance, and comparison to Windows 7, but I'm still not sure. I just wanted to know what's your opinion about changing to Windows 8.

Will it effect the performace of my PC, especially gaming performance? Will it make it better or worse?
      Will there be a compabillity issue with some games and softwares, especially the older one?
      What's the advantages and disadvantages of Windows 8 compared to Windows 7?
      'What's the cool / good thing / feature of Windows 8? (Except that cool Lumia.. err.. I mean Metro UI menu)
      Is Windows 8 worth buying?

I think that's my question for now,

Formerly: Raven

YouTube Twitter Steam
    • Windows 8 is pretty simple. Every day I'm working I'm using Windows 8 in some manner. Setting up computers or showing people how to use the basics.
      It's OK to have on any machine but I'd strongly argue against putting it on a desktop. Windows 8 is more touch orientated. It works fine on laptops as you have a touchpad. Touchscreens are most ideal. But on desktop machines, the only benefit is the speed. Other than that it's a pain.
      I've upgraded one computer from windows vista to windows 8. Surprisingly the laptop worked very well and naturally *insert vista hate which I don't understand myself*
      If you're comfortable with what you have, maybe stay put. If you really want to try it you can but I'd back up your things first because if you don't like it, you just wasted however much money and to undo it you need to restore the machine.
      With my own windows 8 laptop. I bought it more for the hardware. I have a razer mouse and keyboard plugged into it. I hardly use any windows 8 feature that's on it. Like the multitasking and so forth. I just use it like a typical machine.

And as for you,

RebelNinja89 wrote:

I'm not really a big fan of W8 because I just dislike the homescreen and the way it works. But this is your call ^^

You can modify Windows 8 to look more like the old OS. Normal start bar and everything. I've not looked into it myself but I've come across a laptop with it. Think it was "Windows Shell" or something? It looked awful frankly but it's possible all the same.
      You can also modify it to start directly into the desktop rather than the start screen.

EDIT: In fact, as people are saying below, there's an update for Windows 8, Windows 8.1, which will allow you to do this without downloading anything from third party sites.
      I baked you a cookie. But then I thought, "Better not". So I ate it. You're welcome!

The post was edited 1 time, last by OssyGames ().

• EDIT: Removed a bunch of crap... I was half asleep, sorry about that.

Stick with Windows 7, dude.

Unless, you get rid of that new GUI.

Then Windows 8 is faster.

But I think Windows 7 is better by far right now, and easier.

Also, you might want to wait until the 8.1 update, where they give the option to remove metro.

Besides that, I would wait maybe a year or half a year, until more things become compatible with Windows 8.

(That's what me and my dad does with consoles and new OSes, waits until more stuff is out there, and then gets it.)
      Haters.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Kemerd ().

• Windows 8 is essentially windows 7 but with a different start menu and better performance. I loved it, didn't have any issues and metro was easy to get used to. I got it for free though through my college, i'm not sure it's worth buying when you already have windows 7. If you are planning on buying it, wait a month or two and 8.1 will be out which has windows aero re-integrated and the option to disable metro and turn back to windows 7 style taskbar, which essentially makes it just a much faster windows 7.
      We used to wrestle Hunters to the ground with our bare hands! I used to kill ten, twenty a day, just using my fists!
    • Hmm... I've used Windows 8 on my grandma's computer. You need a little learning to get the hang of it and I haven't got that yet.
      It took me about 4 MINUTES to see how to turn it off... xD. Things are lost in real deep. I believe though that it works faster but I just don't like the way it works, if that would be an operation system for a tablet it might be more ok, but PLEASE never put that on pc lol.
      I believe there is also alot of hotkeys you can use on it but never found them on the manual.

Also the operating system feels smartphone-ish. Well Nokia Lumia has Windows 8 pretty much.

Just listing my opinions here, if you want to get Windows 8 it's your choise :)
      Amnesia Custom Stories , Home, Dead Space, Amnesia: Machine for pigs. :love:
      Silly/Weird/Scary Moments Montage!
      [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T56PqxhzkqM&list=UU2_yBml3EPqXV3ml_TmFQhA&index=1[/youtube]

Silly/Weird/Scary Moments Montage #2
      [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd9_kZGf-3s[/youtube]
    • 1. I don't expect your performance will change much, specially not for the better, it came out way too fast after windows 7 to have any major performance breakthroughs. Will proly just eat a bit more ram depending on what settings you use and that's about it.
      2. You can always bet on compatibility issues with older apps when upgrading your operating system. Now wether it's gonna be a game you really don't give a ******* about or your most beloved oldie that really depends on your luck.;)
      3. Can't speak about advantages/disatvantages or cool features since I never installed it, all I know is from what I've seen metro bites the big one, and doesn't seem oriented towards us core gamers.
      4. Worth buying? I wouldn't even bother to pirate that thing! :P
      Just waiting for the zombie apocalypse. :rolleyes:

Wanna check out my channel?
    • VIKINGS wrote:

1. I don't expect your performance will change much, specially not for the better, it came out way too fast after windows 7 to have any major performance breakthroughs. Will proly just eat a bit more ram depending on what settings you use and that's about it.
      2. You can always bet on compatibility issues with older apps when upgrading your operating system. Now wether it's gonna be a game you really don't give a ******* about or your most beloved oldie that really depends on your luck.

Windows 8 is exactly the same architecture as windows 7, it is essentially the same operating system but they have optimised the RAM usage so it runs on about 50% less RAM than windows 7, also improvements on CPU usage. Being that it's the same architecture as windows 7, pretty much every application works perfectly fine but might not be able to utilise the better RAM system until the vendor updates the software.
      Windows 8 is essentially windows 7 with better performance and a new GUI
      We used to wrestle Hunters to the ground with our bare hands! I used to kill ten, twenty a day, just using my fists!
    • I have Windo 8 on my desktop at home and i love it. Its confussing at first but then its easy to get use too. I would recamond it. I only had one problem is it once took forever to shut down and i had to restart the whole window system and lost everything. But beside that its works fine
      The world is full of awsome people and I met a few of them~lilwisher93 :)
    • On the computer I use windows 7 because its fast for me and much easier for me to handle. my dads laptop was built with windows 8, it seems to look really good but there's a lot of different things on it to where I have no idea what goes where...it takes a little bit to get use to like Naikey said above, but to me, I think I'm going to stick with windows 7

Symmetry is Everything ~Death the Kid