Illness/Diseases You Have?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• Yami Sweet wrote:

FlareonPL wrote:

Social Anxiety:
      I have a hard time doing things people do on a daily basis. This includes going to the store or ordering food in person, taking the bus(I can't do this), going to parties, going to the city, dressing up differently(I get very self-conscious the minute I walk outside), going to large schools(my school has 100-150 students) and so on. I think a few people have a misunderstanding of what social anxiety actually is. It is not the same as being an introvert or anti-social, it is more of a fear of being in social situations. For example, the last time I took a bus the only thing I could think of was what other people were thinking about me.. I ended up crying and having a panic attack- most dreadful experience in my life. I've learned to cope by avoiding situations like these, although more than anything I'd love to deal with this problem because not being able to do common things really brings me down.

That's happens to.me too
      I can't buy things, when I walk I always think people watch me .... I think I always bother, I have panic... but at least I can take the bus, or go to school, but when is so much people around me I start crying ..." :Social Anxiety" ?
      If you have similar symptoms then I recommend you seek professional help to get these things figured out (including depression related).
    • Hmm... Well i have ADD to begin with, but I have medication for that... um... OCD, I don't have a medication for that, and it gets in my way a lot, especially when I'm about to leave the house, because I'm obsessed with cleanliness I'll start to clean house and do dishes when I'm about to leave. I'm not sure why. Other than that I'm relatively healthy. My mom has Multiple Sclerosis (MS) and my dad's a cripple. Breast cancer does run in the family, but I'm a male, so chances are low. There's a lot more that runs in the family too, and I'm guessing they haven't came along yet, such as skin conditions. My skin is soft, but everyone in my family (well, on my mother's side) all have some sort of skin condition. On my father's side, a broken bone or two if not more runs. Mainly because we're southern. But you know, other than that, I'm relatively healthy.

I hope I had proper grammar, this makes sense, this isn't pointless mumbo jumbo, and have a great time.
    • FlareonPL wrote:

Yami Sweet wrote:

FlareonPL wrote:

Social Anxiety:
      I have a hard time doing things people do on a daily basis. This includes going to the store or ordering food in person, taking the bus(I can't do this), going to parties, going to the city, dressing up differently(I get very self-conscious the minute I walk outside), going to large schools(my school has 100-150 students) and so on. I think a few people have a misunderstanding of what social anxiety actually is. It is not the same as being an introvert or anti-social, it is more of a fear of being in social situations. For example, the last time I took a bus the only thing I could think of was what other people were thinking about me.. I ended up crying and having a panic attack- most dreadful experience in my life. I've learned to cope by avoiding situations like these, although more than anything I'd love to deal with this problem because not being able to do common things really brings me down.

That's happens to.me too
      I can't buy things, when I walk I always think people watch me .... I think I always bother, I have panic... but at least I can take the bus, or go to school, but when is so much people around me I start crying ..." :Social Anxiety" ?
      If you have similar symptoms then I recommend you seek professional help to get these things figured out (including depression related).
      Those with the social anxiety disorder like me, going to a doctor might help. They'll most likely prescribe you with something like Escitalopram (Lexapro) that's also used for depression. Usually as SAD progresses depression develops as well. If your case is mild you'll probably only have to take it for as little as 8 months. Get yourself sorted.

Ahh, reminds me of those days when I just stayed at home for 3 straight months. Bad stuff.
    • - On and off depression. I will be top of the world and then all of a sudden, within a few hours, feeling like I just want to die. Doesn't help that often it's triggered by people, mainly family putting to much pressure on me.

- Social Anxiety. I struggle to talk to people, look at people or be around people I don't know, it makes my life hard, especially when my parents don't believe me and are pressuring me to get a job in a shop etc. I love my job at the kennels because I can be alone with minimal communicating but apparently I need more hours. x.x

- Therianthropy. I believe it to be a mental condition, normal people do not think the same way nor do they have to deal with the symptoms. Probably the biggest issue I have. I pretty much live 80% human mind and 20% animal (well wolf to be more accurate) and some-times it changes. I know people won't believe me, used to that, but if you were in my head you would. I get phantom limbs often because of this (where you feel like you have a tail etc). I also have full on mental shifts where I just loose control of my other side, it's very stressful and emotional when I go through this. I haven't gone to get help as it's manageable and the full shifts are rare, often triggered by emotion, I guess I'm just used to it.
    • I must say... I'm very impressed that so many of you are able to talk and open up about these things to people you have never really met... it's comforting in it's own way. It's giving me the courage to speak out publicly about what I have dealt with in my life. Every case is different, I understand that and will try to not in any way make my case seem bigger than others, and from what I have seen in this thread no one has said any negative remarks. "A pin prick to one person could be a stab to another."

When I was 11 years old, I was diagnosed with Tourette Syndrome, along with OCD and ADD. I had just started middle school, and the news quickly spread. People who were once my close friends slowly drifted off, people would avoid sitting next to me, and eventually the brutality began. I was beat up, kicked, pushed, teased, and hurt every day. The worst attack was when I was stabbed by my locker.

I grew up when these types of disorders were still pretty new to the general public, so I was labeled as 'diseased'. My parents didn't understand what it was I was going through, the most that would happen was I would fidget a lot and would need to do certain 'rituals' during my day to day life, overall nothing too bad... For example, there was a certain way I absolutely HAD to say goodnight to my Mom or else I would bug out, or I would have to flick my fingers after touching something, almost cutting an invisible string that would be attached from my hand to the object. I couldn't stand not 'cutting' it.

My parents were determined to help, but I don't think they realized what it did to me. They dragged me to a psychologist every week, where he would barely talk to me, just have me tell him about stuff going on in my day to day life, recite some crap you'd read on an inspirational poster, then pulled my Mom into the room and suggested medication for me to take which meant going to a psychiatrist next. (Psychologists only listen, psychiatrists listen and can write prescriptions.) Each medication I was put on would change me... one would make me pass out in the middle of class, others gave me the most horrible migraines you can imagine, another made me almost a zombie where there was no emotion (it scared the crap out of my sister) and some had such high antidepressants in them that I would start laughing hysterically in the middle of class. The medication's side effects were 100x worse than what I had.

For close to 5 years, my life was in a fog. There isn't much I remember, aside from getting beat up all the time. I remember having to be put on home schooling on 3 separate occasions for my own safety... that didn't help anything... just spun me into a deeper spiral of depression. I started to fight back, often getting beat up harder, but over time they slowly backed off... but I was still alone, unable to focus on the real world. It wasn't until I was already into high school that I was able to break out of the fog. I stopped taking the medication, and it was if I could finally breathe again. I wasn't being smothered by drugs anymore. The hardest thing was to try and create a new life for myself, because the girl I once was 5 years prior was gone... I still wonder to this day what would have happened had I never been put on medication. Would I have been better with grades, social life, etc? Would my disorder have defined who I was?

I'm now 26 years old, have a boyfriend (6 years and counting), and many who I meet would never guess I had any of these disorders. I have a job, an apartment and doing, well, OK in the world. The thing is, if I hear the world 'tourettes' used in movies of TV shows or even by a coworker in a joking way, something triggers in my brain and everything shatters around me and I break into hysterical crying, as if someone had just ripped my heart out. It's the worst feeling ever. Even though I have a job and such, I still can't afford to go to a doctor/counselor to see if they can pin-point what it is. It's not the disorder, it's being reminded of the hell I went through. Some friends and family think it is Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, but I won't know for sure until I seek help, but my biggest problem is bringing myself to get help...
      "From childhood's hour, I have not been as others were
      I have not seen as other have" - Edgar Allen Poe, "Alone"

(>^_^(vO_o)> Surprise Butt Sex

Phoenix Flames Plays

FaceBook
    • I have a problem with impulsiveness and aggression which came out of a constant stress I faced with. But it got better actually now I am able to sustain myself from breaking someone's jaw or something just because they said something I don't like. Managed by not giving a shit any more, and being a bit more rational about things :thumbup:
      On the outside I may appear like an emotionless sarcastic piece of shit, but just like an onion, when you peel off more layers, you find the exact same thing every single time and you start crying.

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!
    • NZ Stephano wrote:

Tazumoto wrote:

Ectopic Pituitary Gland... only known person to survivor who lived up to four years without anyone knowing about the condition. It is found in miscarriages, not living children. It is physically impossible for me to be alive, medical experts still don't know why I am alive.

Good effort mate :D

That wasn't an effort. I really do have this condition. It was discovered when I was four, I have to take cortisone, thyroid and testosterone for the rest of my life because my body does not naturally produce these things. I nearly died, for the longest time they could not figure out what I had, they thought it was a brain tumor. An endocrinologist finally figured out my condition, and it really has baffled medical professionals, because they typically find this condition in dead babies.
    • Tazumoto wrote:

That wasn't an effort. I really do have this condition. It was discovered when I was four, I have to take cortisone, thyroid and testosterone for the rest of my life because my body does not naturally produce these things. I nearly died, for the longest time they could not figure out what I had, they thought it was a brain tumor. An endocrinologist finally figured out my condition, and it really has baffled medical professionals, because they typically find this condition in dead babies.

My father also used to feel bad, because of his diabetic problem. He even ended up in a hospital for that. And used to take insulin everyday because of it.
      It's hereditary, i think. Since his father also had the same problems with that, and his father too, and so..
      I don't know if i have a chance to end up this way though, well.. Hope i don't.. All i can do to avoid this is to take care of myself, i guess..
    • I have primary carnitine deficiency and a severe balance disorder. Though, by doing lots and lots of balance exercises when I was young (1+ hour every day for years), I can still do almost everything a regular person without a balance disorder does. Though I have trouble walking in a straight line or doing things that require a high level of balance. But all in all, it doesn't really hinder me in everyday life, thankfully.

More information on primary carnitine deficiency:
      What is primary carnitine deficiency?

Primary carnitine deficiency is a condition that prevents the body from using certain fats for energy, particularly during periods without food (fasting). Carnitine, a natural substance acquired mostly through the diet, is used by cells to process fats and produce energy.

Signs and symptoms of primary carnitine deficiency typically appear during infancy or early childhood and can include severe brain dysfunction (encephalopathy), a weakened and enlarged heart (cardiomyopathy), confusion, vomiting, muscle weakness, and low blood sugar (hypoglycemia). The severity of this condition varies among affected individuals. Some people with primary carnitine deficiency are asymptomatic, which means they do not have any signs or symptoms of the condition. All individuals with this disorder are at risk for heart failure, liver problems, coma, and sudden death.

Problems related to primary carnitine deficiency can be triggered by periods of fasting or by illnesses such as viral infections. This disorder is sometimes mistaken for Reye syndrome, a severe disorder that may develop in children while they appear to be recovering from viral infections such as chicken pox or flu. Most cases of Reye syndrome are associated with the use of aspirin during these viral infections.

---------------

So yeah, it's not one of the best things to have, haha. Though I normally don't pay it any attention. When I was younger, I always had to take extra supplements to keep my carnitine levels up. Now that I'm older, I don't need those anymore.

All in all, though, I'd say I'm not too bad off. There's loads of people with worse things than I have. I just try to make every single day count without paying attention to my disorders. :) And I hope every person, healthy or unhealthy, does the same. Life's too short to worry about everything.
      Fast speaking Dutchman who enjoys talking to his computer screen in an
      attempt to entertain people. Slightly insane, completely awesome.

If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.

Keep your hopes up high and your head down low.
    • I have Ulcerative Colitis :S Basically I get uclers in my colon which cause's me to bleed when i go to the toilet. It's nasty and it can get me very down, when i'm having a bad flare of it.
      I was diagnosed with it 3 years ago and i've suffered on & off since. Either having to have time off work. Could be months. Be rushed into hospital with servere anemia.
      When i'm flaring bad, i'm very lethargic, have no go. Get really painful cramps, nausea, dizzyness etc it really takes it toll on my whole body.

I'm currently flaring at the moment. Since Feburary :wacko: but the last month it seems to have calmed down slighty. I know it sounds digusting but finding that im not passing blood, makes me so happy. But it never last long....
    • I have multiple things.

Central Core Myopathy - which is a slow progressive muscular dystrophy in which I was told I'd never ride a bike and I would be in a wheelchair by now, I'm not and I ride every day, I fight it. It's a calcium ryanodine channel mutation which leads to calcium ions leaking out of the neuromuscular junctions. For me it is physically restricting as there are alot of things I cannot do no matter how hard I fight or try.

Malignant Hyperthermia - something that I get when exposed to anaesthetic. My body temperature would shoot through the roof and unless caught quickly would be dead within half an hour.

Asthma - everyone in my family has it.

Scoliosis - I have a curvature on my spine which coupled with a broken coccyx from 6 years ago makes it quite hard for me to sit still. If you watch my LPs you would notice I have to move and adjust a lot.

I also have BD, anxiety syndrome and Seasonally Affective Disorder but I try to ignore them as much as possible.
    • lilwisher93 wrote:

I have ADHD. Its a disorder where I have a hard time foucusing, always want to move and getting distracted like a carm on a pen. I was dianosed with this disorder at a young age. All I can rember my parents would take me to doctors and see what they can do to cure it. I rember being on so many types of pills. The pills ether made me sick or not my self. I also remember being picked on in school because I was not "normal". They would ether ether call me werido or some other names. This would make feel sad and wonder why I was normal like the other kids. Because of getting picked on I did not have alot a friends. The kids would pertend to be my friend or the ones who were my real friends would stand up for me. I also rember being taken out my classes to be with another teacher to belp with my school work and the kids would look at me like I was some type of allien.

I still have it today my not as servier as i had when i was little. I still have those times where still effects me. Today I don't any medication for because of the harsh side effects.

i have this too and i was also bullied when i was 6 for not being "normal" and also being "annoying". they even beat me up but only occasionally. i had people pretend to be my friend but they in the end would also pick on me. i only made 1 true friend in primary and she would stand up for me she's like a sister, she used to be the pretend-friend's best friend but drifted apart as her friend changed into a horrible person. i didn't really tell anyone at first because i didn't want them getting involved but in the end i got teachers to help me and got taken out of class many times, at first it didn't really work and got worse but after a while it got better, yeah they dont like me and aren't my friends but they didn't bully me. that's why i hate primary school. i think they thought i was annoying due to the fact i would interrupt people, was really loud, thought without thinking, i was impatient, i talked non-stop and i blurted out inappropriate comments. it was hard to control but i can definitely say I've improved on these things. im so glad i found someone with it too. I've seen/met anyone else with adhd before. i still take medication though, if i forget it shows and will effect me alot but its not as bad.
      blah ... :P
    • I have three illnesses that I am currently dealing with. First off, I have autism, and it makes me struggle with different things. Secondly, I have depression, and I was diagnosed with it when I was almost out of high school. Back in the summer of this year, I was diagnosed with anxiety. For depression I take 40 mg of prozac and 300 mg of wellbutrin a day. Well, for the wellbutrin, I take one in the morning and another in the afternoon (since my doctor recently increased my dosage and I have to see him again next month) Prozac, I just take one a day. Sometimes my mental illnesses can go out of control and I go into a rage when I don't really know it. In fact, I get upset very easily. I also try to deal with this by seeing my therapist. I should see her more often because I haven't been to any therapy sessions lately. My mom and sister have the same illnesses I do, but they don't have autism. My boyfriend is also dealing with the same things, and he and I are helping each other through it. Since I actually started watching PewDiePie's videos, I thought that his vids will also help me deal with my mental illnesses. I like to call it "PewDiePie Therapy". Hehe.
      Meta and Nathan forever <3 I love you, babe :love: