Illness/Diseases You Have?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• Illness/Diseases You Have?

So, I thought that since I saw a few people talking about their own illnesses as well as diseases...We should make a thread where we talk about our experiences with them, and or what helps us feel better when we are feeling like crap.

Currently, I have been diagnosed with five things:

Depression[Bi-Polar Depression]
      >I've had problems with my depression since I was in 5th grade, and I still have extremely bad stages in time where I am utterly depressed and hopeless, I feel like crawling into bed and sleeping for days. And when I get into my manic state, I stay up for days on end, running around, doing all these things that I never would usually do, and acting extremely hyper.
      Normally what helps me feel better is being around people, sleeping and taking long hot baths. Being regularly medicated also helps a lot, since before I was on my medication I cut my self a ton.
      One of the most remembered experiences of mine was a manic state where I stayed up for 3 days, writing out random things that came into my mind, as well as playing video games like crazy. I had the worst crash ever that time, slept for 2 days straight. XD

Minor Social Anxiety
      >This started in around 9th grade, I felt like the world was closing in on me and when people in large places filled with a lot of others talked to me, I felt so scared and nervous. It normally starts when the noise level is loud and then I start to notice people are looking at me and then looking away. So then I start to breathe heavily and sweat, and I need to get out of the area as fast as possibly. My legs don't stop shaking until I'm almost alone.
      Normally what helps is being with people I know, because if I am not with anyone I know in a large crowd, I'll freak the hell out.
      I think the most remembered thing was I was at a street fair, and oh lord it was packed, so I remember running the fuck away, and I couldn't get away from all the people. I camped out in a bathroom in a store and basically vomited up everything because I was so scared. >////<

PMDD
      >Ever since I started my dreaded period, I've had it bad. Like, I'll put in a super super plus tampon, 15 minutes later, it's soaked through. This leads to a lot of things, one being I faint rather easily, two, I am utterly a bitch on my period, and my moods are just horrid, and three, EXTREME anemia as in, my hemoglobin goes down around 2 points on my period. I do take pills however to ease the bleeding as well as regulate my periods. Many of you know this as birth control, although, I'm not going around having sex. XD
      My most memorable experience with this shit, was most likely when I was on the floor, vomiting up everything, as well as screaming bloody murder because my cramps felt like someone was stabbing me. All while I had to take a shit extremely bad. By the time I shit, the water looked like someone bled out in there. Shitty bloody poop water, not a good thing.
      Things that help, HEAT. WARM FUCKING WATER. HEATING PADS.

Severe Anemia
      > Since I started my period, shit got bad with my iron. They recently did an iron study on me, and well, I was so low, they said I need to take about triple the regular amount of iron everyday for 2 months. My hemoglobin was like...9 or 7, I can't remember, but they were like: LOL NO.
      Worst thing, probably was when I fainted in the middle of the hallway at school. I remember waking up and the science teachers were spazzing out saying that I didn't have a pulse. I say up and was like: I'm fine, just kinda dizzy.
      Taking Iron really has helped a lot, all women should take it, and also take B-12 and D-3. c:

Hashimoto's Thyroiditus
      >I learned I had this around the middle of 9th grade, when I was so tired, I couldn't get up anymore, my fevers were spiking 101.0 degrees Fahrenheit daily...So they did a few tests and wouldn't you know it, my thyroid levels were really really off. Turns out, my levels had been out of wack basically all my life, which explained a lot. I was also one of the youngest my doctor saw with this, which made me feel sad.
      What helps? taking the thyroid replacement pills as well as getting my thyroid levels checked every 2 months.
      I think the most memorable thing was when I was asleep and I felt so hot, and then all of a sudden cold and I was like: wtf. XD

Anyways, what do you guys have to deal with?

Love you all! <3!

"Lefi is lefi
      if someone try to change lefi
      lefi will be mad
      lefi will fak yer shit up"
      Brootal c:

I love Mkerix, more than my Pokemon.<3
    • I have only 2 things I have to deal with:
      -Depression:
      Started early, around the age of 10. It very random now though, I'm not completely over it I still have days where I get depressed, but talking to emily and people on here usually cheers me up somewhat. I used to have it worse last year, everything was terrible I just came to school and sat in the back of the class and did nothing for an entire year, I barely passed. This year is better though. I would say the reasons I have it but I don't want people to judge things that have happened to me in the past.

-PTSD (Post tramatic stress syndrome):
      I got these after seeing something very very tramatic, I don't like to think about it because it causes flashbacks. I still get random flashbacks every now and again that usually spark my depression. I used to have very frequent flashbacks but now they've been lower, usually about once or twice a week.
    • When I was a bit younger, (12 - 15) I had Somniphobia which is just the fear of sleep. I don't know what caused it, or ended it, but when I absolutely refused to sleep out of terror. But, eventually you have to fall asleep or you die which is never fun. This combined with night terror, which is pretty much just screaming yourself out of sleep, caused by nightmares or maybe nothing. Also during that I would let NO ONE around me when I was tired because I'd just end up screaming the shit out of them and get even more tired, therefore more scared. During these they also thought I was antisocial, but that was proven wrong after a short time. Both of these are mostly gone, every now and then I still get random episodes of it but they aren't as bad nor frequent. Also a bit of Social Anxiety, I'm used to smaller groups but large crowds? NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE, I would do nearly anything to escape a large crowd of people,whether I know them or not I got this weird feeling that some shit is gonna go down and I'm gonna be in the middle of it. Dunno why, over-thinking the possibility of humiliation or something I guess.
      Regarding physical illness and not mental, I don't really think I have any. The only thing I can say is wrong there is my legs, my legs in general are usually filled with pain of some sort, which I why I don't like running. That has been around since as long as I can remember, pretty sure too late to get any medical help about it.
      Basically pigeon toed + bow legs + pain = My legs.
      Thats about it.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Nubcake-sama ().

• Hmmm.....interesting.
      Chiari Malformation: Basically my brain is too big for my brain. When left unchecked it can block off cerebral fluid from flowing through the brain. Also it can cause cysts in the spine and ruptured veins behind the eyes. Thankfully instead of that I have just had a headache for the last 6 years. Unfortunately there is only one treatment for this really. This is a depressurizing surgery where they open the back of the head, cut out a square piece of the scull and insert a metal plate slightly farther away allowing more room. They won't even consider letting me do this since all I have is a headache.

hashimoto's hypothyroidism: (ha-she-moe-toe) besides being hilarious to pronounce it was a mistake that I found this out. Some special fancy dancy doctor thought a thyroid antibody count would tell something that would have to to with my headaches. Well no, it didn't have anything to do with my headaches, but I do apparently have tens of thousands of antibodies attacking my own thyroid. I get this recounted every year to make sure the antibodies don't attack any other organs.

pseudotumor: not really a tumor. Basically I'm just a tubby girl lol. There is too much spinal fluid in the spine. I've gotten two spinal taps to remove excess fluid and it is kept down with medications. So hopefully no more spinal taps. Shit's uncomfortable.

depression: Everyone thinks they know depression. I'm sure it will be posted in this thread a hundred time of different people having depression. It's never the same for anyone, but I'm sure everyone has the general idea.

Out of these I am taking 3 medications. One for the hashimoto's, which is a thyroid replacement. Idk how it works...and honestly I don't want to know. Another one is for the pseudotumor. And of course..I am taking effexor for depression. I know people are iffy about taking medications for depression, but I want to kill every therapist I meet...so it was a fairly obvious choice.
      Boobs Bacon
    • Touretts Syndrom..

touretts is common its where or when you do things and you can help it, if its barking, cursing, scratching a part of your body so hard you bleed my sister did all of these things and barley went to school im proud of her she now happy and her life is great, evryone in my family has this i happen to blink fast and repeatidly, and scrunch my nose alot and bite down on my teeth really hard but its not as bad as my sister, for my sister it used to be horrible and now its better but getting back to the same old bad touretts we dont have the money to take her to the dctor but we take care of her as best by giving her money for college and work and bills.. I love her. </3
    • @Dart
      D: Awe. -hugs- I have a friend with PTSD, mostly from an abusive family and such. But, Depression sucks...especially when you're down in that rut and you are just like: ...no...just...leave me alone.

@Nubs
      I used to be extremely afraid of the dark until a few years ago. Mostly because of my wonderful imagination, I thought I saw things or heard things, but in reality, I just spazzed for the most part. Anyways, =w= I sometimes do still sleep with a light on.
      D: owww...My joints hurt a lot sometimes out of no where, so I do get the feel for that.

@Holly
      Chiari sounds pretty, idk why. lol.
      Anyways! :c Honey D: -huggu-
      We're in the same boat I guess, with Hashiderpderp's, as well as depression. Although I do agree with you, everyone else has a different feeling of depression. :c

@E&L
      When I was in a clinic, I had a really good friend who happened to have Touretts. She was one of the kindest people ever, and we both worked on things. Eventually, she got better, and she still is a wonderful person. I get to talk to her every now and then, if I see her.

"Lefi is lefi
      lefi will be mad
      Brootal c:

• i was trying to say that i have ADHD and people didn't understand it so used to bully me physically and verbally. its mainly because i talked to much, interrupt conversations, be impatient, act without thinking, a short attention span, being easily distracted, making careless mistakes, for example in schoolwork, appearing forgetful or losing things, being unable to stick at tasks that are tedious or time consuming, being unable to listen to or carry out instructions, being unable to concentrate, constantly changing activity or task, having difficulty organizing tasks, being unable to sit still, especially in calm or quiet surroundings constantly fidgeting, being unable to settle to tasks, excessive physical movement, excessive talking and little or no sense of danger. this caused me to develop depression and sometimes would cry myself to sleep and was dying inside even thought i put a smile on my face and felt like skipping school all the time. i felt like dying sometimes because they hurt me so bad that i thought it was all might fault and if i just died then people around me wouldn't have to deal with me. but then i met someone called heather and nahren, they didn't like me at first with all the things i do like be impatient and interrupt conversations but after a while heather and i became best friends but nahren still jealous and me and heather are still friends today and shes helped me over come my depression even though she didn't know how bad it was she helped me a lot.

i have OCD but its not that bad like stuff has to be a certain way but loads of people have that but like if i slap my self on one cheek i have to slap myself on the other cheek.

but now that i'm in high school people can still be hard on me and it brings out my depression and get sad but i have been learning and learnt my lesson that i should care what they say and that i should just ignore them as there is no point wasting my time on them if there just going to try and ruin my life.

but its hard as not many people understand these things and don't understand how we feel when we have these conditions as they don't go through any of these things themself and it would be easier on all of us if they did.
      blah ... :P
    • my friends (heather) brother has autism but also has touretts and constantly swears and it is really hard on her family sometimes but he is a lovely person and really sweet and goes to a school for the autistic as he has it really bad but they manage to make it through the day :)

also because of my ADHD i developed sleeping problems as it is common for someone to have it if they have ADHD, the same with depression (which i am eventually over coming) and learning difficulties (which isn't that bad now as it used to be worse).

but i also have a feeling that i have conduct disorder and ODD for some reason as i have many of the symptoms for that but my parents don't want me to get diagnosed for it as they don't think i have it even though i have a strong feeling i do.
      blah ... :P
    • Leafy... really happy you made a thread like this and really happy to see how open people are getting. It has inspired me to share, which is something I don't do often.

Borderline Personality Disorder - Was incorrectly diagnosed as depression (which we should really call dysthymia as to distinguish the difference between the medical illness and just someone who feels blue) for years. Placed on several different medications, none of which helped and all of which had awful side effects. One made me shake so bad it was like I had Parkinsons. There were some extremely bleak days in my past that I won't elaborate on, as I'm not THAT open to sharing, but ya... it's rough and I sympathize with anybody who has a mental illness. For those of you who don't know (and are too lazy to use google), those with BPD have difficulty with their emotions. Everything is an extreme, black and white, paranoia is quite common, fears of abandonment, and an almost complete lack of identity. That last one may be a little cryptic, but what I mean by it is that those of us with this illness change our personalities to suit our goals, whatever they may be. This constant shift in personality results in an unbearable sense of emptiness and only fuels the intensity of negative emotions.

I mentioned that in my past things were really bad. They were, and I went through a lot of very awful stuff, not related to the illness, which of course just compounded things. Luckily about a year and a half ago I completely stopped taking any medications, just woke up and said "NO MORE!", and decided that I was going to really work to live a better life. So far things have been going splendidly, and I have no intentions of ever going back to how things were. There are of course tougher days than others, but I take things 1 day at a time, stay mindful of myself, and do what I can to keep my goals in mind.

Social Anxiety Disorder: Rather intensive I might add as well. It is further intensified by the fact that I am prone to headaches (the cause of which doctors still haven't discovered). You might ask, "What does headaches have to do with anxiety?". Well being around multiple people who are talking, causes a headache so severe I can't think straight. I am a university student, and some of my classes I have to skip because the headaches become unbearable. That being said, I have made a conscious effort many times to be more social, and things have improved a great deal from my past. I remember 8 years ago I was a complete shut in. I lived in a dorm at the time (the first time I was in university and later dropped out because of illness 1), and I couldn't be seen. If I heard people outside of my room, I would stay inside and not leave. When I would be outside, I couldn't let people see me enter a building, and if someone would walk by me on the street I wouldn't be able to breathe. It was accompanied with extreme paranoia as well. But like I said, I have not been that bad in a very long time. Hell, now I even take public transit. I am still quite a bit of a loner however, I don't think that will ever change. I really don't know how to talk to people, and I don't understand certain social norms. I'm quite awkward I must say lol. The great thing though is that I have learned to embrace being different and to appreciate all of my flaws. Because without them I probably would have grown up to be a dick instead of the wonderful and amazing person I am today =P.

Vertigo - Ya, so when I was a kid I had serious inner ear problems. Had tubes put in, and still didn't fix the problem. I am extremely clumsy, and the vertigo is so bad that I can't even ride a bike. I remember once my boss at this place I worked one summer needed me to get on a 2 step, step ladder... couldn't do it lol. Walking down stairs I need to hold on to a railing. This one could be pretty devastating, but really I just laugh at it. I am glad that I can make fun of myself for it, and in spite of it (and the paralyzing fear of heights it results in), I still try to force myself into situations where I have to confront heights.

So these are the things that are wrong these are the challenges that have made me as strong as I am today. I typically don't talk about them to anybody, but if anybody ever wants to learn more about these, or if you have your own issues and want someone to talk to who won't judge, send me a PM. I truly enjoy helping people, and if the experiences I went through can benefit even a single person I am glad to do it.

Thanks again leafy.
    • @CLM
      D: That's horrible. I hate when people bully you because they don't understand and they think that you're a freak. It hurts me to even think about it, especially since I was bullied because of the same reasons. OCD is something I'm not very familiar with myself, but I do have a friend with severe OCD to the point where he can't do anything unless things are perfect. He's such a nice guy though, I overlook it and see the true person behind disorder. <3 I have a friend as well with autism, they're rather high on the spectrum of autism, although they are extremely smart, and will try to help me if I help them with their social problems. I adore him as well, he's awesome.

@Sully
      BPD, that rings a few bells. Two of my friends have that, and it's sad when they are going through a breakdown, especially because they are extremely irritable and they cannot really respond without assuming that something I'm doing is weird and freaky. One of them is a girl, who every time something bad happens she gets EXTREMELY angry, and starts sobbing uncontrollably. The second is a guy, who is extremely depressed most of the time, since he has to move from family to family quite often, he gets happy once in awhile although he is upset most of the time. I met both of them in a psychiatric ward.

Social Anxiety is the worst crap ever. I want to be a people person, and when I get into a crowd of people, I just am so nervous and scared. Although, music really helps as well, if you plug in your ipod or something while walking, it helps get your attention away from the noises the people are making. But, I'm rather kind online, especially since I understand most of the things people are talking about, and I love to talk to all of you. c:

Vertigo. I actually never met someone with it, but I have read about it a little in my psych class. It sounds horrible, especially since it would make my fear of heights even worse. XD
      -hug- Hey, I never judge, unless you are acting like a butt douche, then I'll most likely say: stfu -__-"
      But you're not a butt douche so it's all good.

Never ever ever ever ever a problem <3

"Lefi is lefi
      lefi will be mad
      Brootal c:

• Depression

Phobia about near everything in this world

social anxiety: I'm a neet

Unknow ill:I don't know what it is i already get into 10+ doctors and they said they never saw a case like mine,i can't recognize myself as a existent being i fell extremly hollow and as ghost,if i touch something its like the thing i'm touching is more me tha my own body,also i have amensia,but i just lose memorias but not(most of times) things that i learned,with this i also have a debiliated body and weak mind,if i try to use my mind even to write a book/text,play a game,everyting,i get wicked and my mind hurts to the point i get insane and faint(i control it by myself) i usually too cry blood while i'm sleeping when i use my brain a bit,and when i'm awake my mouth is full with blood taste,when i tryed to force myself into doing the things,studying,playing,etc my body reacted with near deth experiences,like when i was nearly sleeping i lost my pulse and with the rest of my force i get up and had to reanimate my heart(first time my mother who see this hapen) and after sometime i get used to the feeling of dying i could just let sleeping and die,but i didn't like to do that way,so i decline nowadays to use my brain potential with that i coud at least stoped having my pulse stoping,fainting and others things(this would be a lot longer if i could remember all things i have with that thing) because of this,i have nearly no possible dreams for future,because things got in a way that i can't escape anymore. Even though that i controled this,i alread know i can't do things in this world,i can only wat for a miracle.
    • Holy shit, so many people with depression ._.
      But just remember guys, everyone feels alone and sad sometimes. Just because you do too doesnt mean you're suffering from depression.
      As far as I know, depression is something longterm and just makes you wanna do nothing at all, ever.
    • Social anxiety:I feel very unconfortable and nerveous when there are too many people around me, that's why I rarely get out from my house, sometimes this leads to depression.

I have a problem with sleeping, sometimes I can sleep for 14 hours a day, but I can't even sleep, the example is, usually I always go to bed at 10 p.m if tomorrow I have to go to school, I try to sleep, but I can't. I've turned off the light, listen to slow music, etc, but I still can't fall asleep, and finally.. I ended up stay awake untill the next morning. <-- It's much more common than the "Sleep for 14 hours a day"

Formerly: Raven

YouTube Twitter Steam
    • I am suffering of a minor case of Epilepsy. Seizures, in my case, are happenning once every 3 year. I am sensible to stroboscopic lights, rapidly changing images, etc.

I have this since I'm 9 years old. Fortunately, it is controled under pills.

Last seizure I had was 4 years ago at a friend's house.

For safety of others, I decided not to drive. My doctor says it's fine, that I can drive, but if I have a seizure behind wheels, not only there is a chance I get killed but also I might bring a few with me.

Epilepsy IS curable, either by puberty (not always, did not cured me) or by a surgery where the open your skull to gain access to the brain. They remove the main source of Epilepsy. May have some rare side effect since they remove a small chunck of brain (almost as big as the tip of your little finger).

The post was edited 1 time, last by EthanWolfcat ().

• I have ADHD. Its a disorder where I have a hard time foucusing, always want to move and getting distracted like a carm on a pen. I was dianosed with this disorder at a young age. All I can rember my parents would take me to doctors and see what they can do to cure it. I rember being on so many types of pills. The pills ether made me sick or not my self. I also remember being picked on in school because I was not "normal". They would ether ether call me werido or some other names. This would make feel sad and wonder why I was normal like the other kids. Because of getting picked on I did not have alot a friends. The kids would pertend to be my friend or the ones who were my real friends would stand up for me. I also rember being taken out my classes to be with another teacher to belp with my school work and the kids would look at me like I was some type of allien.

I still have it today my not as servier as i had when i was little. I still have those times where still effects me. Today I don't any medication for because of the harsh side effects.
      The world is full of awsome people and I met a few of them~lilwisher93 :)
    • @Enuo
      ...I don't really know what to say about that... o.o"

@Phaze
      Depression really hurts a ton, even if the commercials say it does, they never understand how much pain someone with depression really feels. It's like you lose all interest in anything, and everything is hopeless...Sucks a lot. :c

@Yukari
      D: Awe. -hugs-
      I know what you mean when you say you can't fall asleep. I sometimes can't sleep when I want to so, I kinda lay there. Thank god for medications though.

@Ethan
      I actually studied about this in Psych class, it's removing the left part of your brain I think. It has been show to help people a lot, although there are downfalls to it[like everything these days]. But I hope that you get better, and don't have another seizure!

@Lilwisher
      People really need to shut up when someone has a problem. Honestly, I hate those people who pick on you because you're different.
      I grew out of my ADHD thankfully, and I am now able to focus a bit better. Intuniv was a med I took, so you might want to look into that. c: <3

"Lefi is lefi
      lefi will be mad
      Brootal c: