Need help with my baby bunny

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• Need help with my baby bunny

You can pass this part and just read the "EDIT" part if you want to.

i just got a bunny Friday and i need help! its the 1st time i have a bunny :/

that's him! his name is Flocon De Neige (snowflake in french). Its a boy. He's a pure lionhead breed. He's 1 month and 1 week old.

Sometimes, he's super calm and right after, he run around in his cage. And sometimes, i hear some noise in the cage. like if his head bumped on a wall or that he was digging in his "house". The cage is pretty big. Almost 1.50 meter X 1 X 1.50 or something like this..

EDIT: He's been doing well and he have grown so much!

look at that fluffy mane!!

i still have a little bit of problems with him and i still need help:

-When he see my two cats, he's exited and he start to follow them and if my cats stop walking, he tries to eat their fur.... he do the same things with my pants and my fingers... he tries to eat everything... we gave him a piece of wood so he can bite it and stop eating everything else... he chewed it alots but he's still eating out things...
      Sorry for my typing mistakes.... I'm french ^^'

My Deviantart:
      starzerstar.deviantart.com

The post was edited 3 times, last by Starzer ().

• Do you take him out of his cage so he can move freely around? It's generally a good idea to give them time out of their cages, of course in an enclosed space where there aren't wires on the floor or the danger of being stepped on. You could even buy a harness for him and take him outside to walk him, or build a fenced off bit for him to run around in. Just keep an eye on him if it's the fenced off bit, rabbits can quite quickly dig under a fence and escape.

The tube that is you - youtube.com/user/Starkosaurus
    • Starkosaurus wrote:

Do you take him out of his cage so he can move freely around? It's generally a good idea to give them time out of their cages, of course in an enclosed space where there aren't wires on the floor or the danger of being stepped on. You could even buy a harness for him and take him outside to walk him, or build a fenced off bit for him to run around in. Just keep an eye on him if it's the fenced off bit, rabbits can quite quickly dig under a fence and escape.

Yes we let hin run in the living room sometimes. we even let the cage's door open when we are all in the living room so he can run around. Even his cage is big (its almost too big).
      I'd love to build a fence so he can run around but the backyard have so much rock and its so dangerous for him to fall. and the front yard is too close of the road.
      yeah i could buy him a harnest. i hope i could take him for a walk now but, its winter and its cold has f*ck outside..... Hooray winter! ;=;

My Deviantart:
    • Starkosaurus wrote:

Yeah, spring or summer is the best time to let your fluffy friend enjoy the outsides. I remember walking my friend's bunnies as a child, finding treats for the outside like a branch from an apple tree. They went nuts for that. But good look with your fluffy fwiend

Yeah ^^ i'll make him take a walk outside during spring and summer :3

AJ mad wrote:

Dem hair o:

Give him milk for this time , once he get little bigger , give him cabbage , carrot and any vegetables.

I got a paper with my bunny who sais that i cannot give him cabbage or carrots until he's 4 months...
      But ill try the milk :3

My Deviantart:
    • Starzer wrote:

Vicsyyy wrote:

If you have toys in there with him, he's probs just running around like a nutter. I had guinea pigs and they'd do the same thing. As for digging, it's a rabbit. It's what they do. :P

He doesn't have toys yet...

i have a theory: maybe he think it is his den and he digs it to make it bigger.. '-c'

It's very likely. I'd only start to worry if he was injuring himself.
      So uh. I write
    • Hey look it is a mini me!

I have had 6 rabbits so far. Two of them I kept and then others were the other children of the original. First thing first is that the noise you hear that sounds like a bumping is actually your babbit thumping its foot. You remember the rabbit from Bambi? Same thing but rabbits do this when they sense danger and use sound vibrations to make potential predators think that the rabbit is something bigger than it is. Don't worry it is nothing to worry about.

Another thing is that rabbits make amazing domestic house pets if trained properly. One of the key things you want to do is give your new friend as much love as possible. Rabbits feed off attention but at the same time they like their own space. At the start you want to slowly make your rabbit used to you and your family. Don't try and hold it all the time as they will basically feel like a child been force hugged by a grandparent. Get a simple indoor rabbit play pen, or one of toddlers and pop lots of newspaper down. The rabbit will obviously wee a lot at first because it is afraid and needs to get used to the new environment. It is a natural thing, so don't get frustrated too much.

After a while you want to take note of where the rabbit is deciding to pee inside the pen and eventually pop a litter box down with the newspaper underneath. This is the big test to litter training and if done at the right pace is quite easy to do.

Make sure to give him lots of toys to play with. Rabbits get bored easily and they like to play around with random things like any pet. Balls, treats put in treat puzzles, baby rattles, things they can throw around.

Food wise I recommend staying away from the bags of generic 'nuggets' you see in every store. Make sure to go to an official pet store that sells high quality foods and get the bags mixed with seeds, nuggets, hardened carrot, carrot biscuits, etc. Here in the UK, Tesco actually sells them pretty cheap which is great if light on cash.

Another great thing to do is to buy the stick treats once he is a little older. Stick treats basically consist of wooden sticks with things like popcorn, seeds and berries, etc. Rabbits love these and I generally give me Moglet one at the end of every week. Seeing as Flocon is only a baby I say stick to bunny milk button treats for now.

Next comes the bedding. If you are putting your rabbit in a hutch outside then make sure to change the bedding and sawdust toilet area every week and a bit. Don't force yourself to do it everyday like breeders like to say. You can't afford it like they can and it is a waste of expensive bedding.

Also make sure that your hutch has a protective plastic cover and also something like a puffy quilt to put on top. The plastic cover which you can buy for cheap at pet stores is to stop predators trying to claw their way through the hutch wire. Believe me I have seen it happen to my old hutch and was luckily able to stop the fox trying to get to my bunny.

The quilt is for the cold nights and you make be thinking "Well it has all that fur and hay, so it should be pretty warm" Well actually it is not. Rabbits naturally live under ground where it is warm and snug. You need to make sure you hutch of covered up as much as possible, so that it is nicely insulated and that quilt and plastic combo will do the job nicely.

Final things are to get a rabbit molting brush and brush your rabbits old fluff off every week or two. When they get older they actually enjoy it. Also when stroking your rabbit make sure to do it in one direction. Kind of like when running your hand over a dog or cat. Rabbits can get scared and frustrated if you don't do it in one complete motion and it is generally best to do it just above slow speed. Another little tip I found is that rabbits like their ears to be stroked. When I say this I mean moving your hand around the rabbit's ears while stroking it and kind of just moving the hand up slowly so that the ears get some attention during the petting. Do grasp the ears or anything just make a ring shape with your hands as if holding a stick really loosely.

That is basically it. Oh also make sure to have his nales trimmed every 2-3 weeks. If you leave the nails unattended then they will eventually curl and cause your bunny immense pain and potential claw loss and bleeding. Don't get clippers and do it yourself either as there are sensitive nerves in the claws that when snipped will hurt the rabbit and cause a lot of pain. Picture having your finger cut off. So take him to a vet and pay £5/ $10 to have them trimmed down in under 5 seconds.

Good luck with your new fluffy friend :)
      There is always time for muffins.
    • @noirproxy woah thanks for all these informations bro :3

When i first got him, they gave me a paper telling me stuff like what he eats and stuff. And on it, it sais that if he learn to be clean at this state of his life, he may unlearn it later when he'll grow up... It sais that he could not eat veggies until he's 4 months old.. is it real?? '-c' cuz im still not sure...

My Deviantart: