Making A(n?) RPG Game - Wide Awake

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• dclyde18 wrote:

MrOpposite wrote:

Ahh, all these posts about making 2D RPG games reminds me of myself years ago... Although I made my own RPG engine from scratch, but I didn't get far since I didn't have a story to base the game on :(

Aw :( why don't you try again?

I could, but if I did, that RPG would be vastly different from those made with rpg-maker, since my freedom is unlimited :P (I could, for example, make a lightning-engine, and add a lantern/flashlight for example) If I did make such a game, I'd probably add a Stefano-easteregg that adds a Stefano that follows you around... Anyway, I can't start on the game itself right now, but maybe I could start on the engine next week and make a thread to collect resources and tips on what should be in the game. I do enjoy making these simple kind of stuff from time to time. My current main spare-time project is an overly complex game about timetraveling...
    • I really like RPGMaker VX Ace. There is a "Lite" trial version which you can do a fair bit on. Atleast enough to figure out if it's for you. I think you can still import as well, so if you create all your tiles from scratch you might not need the full version. I'm not sure what the duration of the trial is, if there is at all. I only noticed there are limits to the number of variables/characters/items you can use.

I'm making my own game as well. I'm not very technical, and don't know nay script, but some of the effects you can do without is are great.
      In Memory - Alpha test stage

Coming up: Pilot's Story, Caroline's Fall
    • Here are two screenshots from the game:

Hehe.... ;)

Rough draft of the outside of the house

It probably doesn't look very good right now, but these are just some rough drafts that I put together quickly, because I was wasting my time on the intro :P
      [Today, 12:00am]Emilyandlizzytv: you guys are mean!
      [Today, 12:00am]Emilyandlizzytv: dont laugh shane!
      [Today, 12:00am]dclyde18: FAIL
      [Today, 12:00am]Emilyandlizzytv: i ruined a great come back
      [Today, 12:00am]Dart737: BAHAHAHAHA
      [Today, 11:59pm]Emilyandlizzytv: -.-
      [Today, 11:59pm]Emilyandlizzytv: NOW WHO CANT SPEEL!
      [Today, 11:59pm]dclyde18: *it
      [Today, 11:59pm]dclyde18: iy isn't
    • Thanks I'll use that for sure!
      If anyone has any suggestions or ideas, feel free to post them here :)

And to the mods/admins, it says this thread is done when it obviously isn't. Haha
    • You can find a selection of good scripts for a horror game here's a couple that I've found useful in the past:

Victor Engine - Fog Effects: Helps create really beautiful Fog and Light Effects:

Light Effects: Similar to the one that Kerrima mentioned, however I personally prefer Victor Saints version, it's abit more advanced, and provides better, clearer effects in my opinion. Also can use it to create torches. lanterns etc.

*ATS: Special Message Codes: Includes a link to an entire series of brilliant text related scripts!
      There are many more that you could use, dependent on how much work you are willing to put in

I am an experience musician and available to
      hire for your game projects for more visit my Soundcloudor click here
      PM me for more info
    • I am actually making a rpg game too

I am actually making a rpg game too, and I am using
      RPG Maker VX and I love it, you can get the 30 day-trial version for free
      Here is the download link: RPG Maker VX
      brofist 8) ;)
      League of Legends is like the best game ever,so if you havent played it, play it, also here is my youtube channel youtube.com/user/PlayPaj?feature=mhee, if you want to suggest a game, just send me a message and i will try my best to play it

The post was edited 1 time, last by PlayPajjj ().

• Kazekage966 wrote:

full version .. for free?
      i hope its not a crack
      because it would be illegal...

The free trial has access to all the features, but it will limite the number of actors, common events etc. You have less defaults skins/tiles, but you can import your own.
      I didn't realise it was only 30 day? I downloaded it via steam called "RPGMaker VX Ace Lite" or something. I didn't see a trial limit.

I bought the full version personally, but there are trial versions available.
      In Memory - Alpha test stage

Coming up: Pilot's Story, Caroline's Fall
    • Kerrima wrote:

Kazekage966 wrote:

full version .. for free?
      i hope its not a crack
      because it would be illegal...

The free trial has access to all the features, but it will limite the number of actors, common events etc. You have less defaults skins/tiles, but you can import your own.
      I didn't realise it was only 30 day? I downloaded it via steam called "RPGMaker VX Ace Lite" or something. I didn't see a trial limit.

I bought the full version personally, but there are trial versions available.
      oh i forgot to see its VX..
      VX ACE trial has limits.. yes im using VX ACE Lite.. and its FREE FOREVER (so awsome lol)
      limits in armor items or actors and events doesnt bother me..
      but the limit of maps does ;( only 20
      i dont have money to buy the full version.. so i guess have to stick with it... its good they have at least the lite version :thumbsup:
    • Kerrima wrote:

Google Khas Lighting effects. It gives you some good atmospheric stuff, as well as how to make characters use torches.

Jonnie91 wrote:

You can find a selection of good scripts for a horror game here's a couple that I've found useful in the past:

Victor Engine - Fog Effects: Helps create really beautiful Fog and Light Effects:

Spoiler

Light Effects: Similar to the one that Kerrima mentioned, however I personally prefer Victor Saints version, it's abit more advanced, and provides better, clearer effects in my opinion. Also can use it to create torches. lanterns etc.

*ATS: Special Message Codes: Includes a link to an entire series of brilliant text related scripts!
      There are many more that you could use, dependent on how much work you are willing to put in

Thanks, I'll be sure to check those out! And, I think that I am willing to do anything to make the game the best that I can ;)

erynn wrote:

Quoted from "dclyde18"

It probably doesn't look very good right now, but these are just some rough drafts that I put together quickly, because I was wasting my time on the intro
      Just out of curiosity, what RPG maker do you use?

I am using RPG Maker VX Ace, I tried to use the semi-translated version of WOLF Editor, but it still had a fair bit of Japanese :p

SqueedilyPlays wrote:

What kind of things are you in need of help of with this game? Voice acting? Music? stoof?

Yeah, I need some sound effects and some phrases, character pictures (to show in the message box), sprites (te character maker sprites in ace are meh), and I'll probably need some music, I have one and a half songs right now, three and a half are being made :p

The post was edited 1 time, last by dclyde18 ().

• Hi guys! I have a new screenshot to show you, though it's not much. Lately I've been tweaking the scripts and such, so I didn't work a lot on the maps. This is a screenshot of the map of the interior (or at least part of the interior) of the mansion:

As you can see its not done, and i didn't take the screen in-game because it's way too big to show all of it at once :P

Also, I accidentally deleted some of the maps shown in previous screenshots, so I'll have to start over on those. And yes, that includes the graveyard, sadly.
    • Okay, I don't know if I'm allowed to post again as the last post was by me a few months ago X( so if I'm not supposed to, someone please let me know :)
      UPDATE: I have been really busy lately so I've stopped working on the game, for now. (Although its pretty obvious :P) I'll continue when I'm on summer vacation :)
    • RiskRim wrote:

Wow, facing her nightmers you say, sound awsome to me, i would like to play the game, when will it be out?

It depends on how quickly I can work, but I'd say maybe by August I'll have a quick demo finished. I know that's a while away from now, but that's the best I can do. Thanks for showing your interest! :)